Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Doomed user

Started by Koigoreyokan1990, Mar 01, 2016, 03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

King Leer

Quote from: shine down unshy on Mar 17, 2016, 01:05 AM
I kept thinking in the back of my mind that his ex-wife became a cracked out whore.  But that's just fucked up.

well its not THAT fucked up cuz' its true. but i doubt he would write a song about his ex wife at this stage of his life. (new wife etc)

B0RNtoR0CK

One thing's for sure. I like this song over Prayers/Triangles. Pretty good song overall. Very raw demo tape sound. I'm not a BIG FAN of the live/reverb vocal sound but if thats what the band wants who am I to complain. Also the kick drum is inaudible. The guitar has a lot of mud and the bass is out of control at times. The mixer should have done a better job at compressing the low end. Maybe the album version will sound better.

phil for real

Everyone is complaining about the sound.  Based off the two tracks so far, they're clearly going for a more raw sound.  I like it.  Kind of different for Deftones.

gwenudo

Quote from: B0RNtoR0CK on Mar 17, 2016, 04:57 AM
One thing's for sure. I like this song over Prayers/Triangles. Pretty good song overall. Very raw demo tape sound. I'm not a BIG FAN of the live/reverb vocal sound but if thats what the band wants who am I to complain. Also the kick drum is inaudible. The guitar has a lot of mud and the bass is out of control at times. The mixer should have done a better job at compressing the low end. Maybe the album version will sound better.
Im pretty sure the version we heard is the one that will be in the album.. Its not a demo, its the official track
Was it like it seemed?...

DeftonesNZ

Cool song, a bit of a grower I think because of the changes and odd vocals but once you feel it out it's awesome

Entombed

Quote from: phil for real on Mar 17, 2016, 05:01 AM
Everyone is complaining about the sound.  Based off the two tracks so far, they're clearly going for a more raw sound.  I like it.  Kind of different for Deftones.

I think Self Titled was a bit raw, but still well produced overall. The two songs released on this album, on the other hand, sound poorly mixed. I went to school for audio production and I try to analyze each of their album/songs (like I do with my own music and the other bands I listen to). You can hear the auto-tune in the songs, parts are often competing for "space" in the tracks, the guitar volume is super inconsistent in Prayers/Triangles, and there's not enough low end.
Tell the one about the man who dug holes so deep, he lost sight of his word.

B0RNtoR0CK

Quote from: gwenudo666 on Mar 17, 2016, 05:24 AM
Im pretty sure the version we heard is the one that will be in the album.. Its not a demo, its the official track
I don't know man. I just compared Doomed User to White Pony/ Self-titled/ Diamond Eyes in my DAW and its a huge step backward production/mix/master wise... the guitars are in desperate need of a low-cut filter, its really scratchy/abrasive. Vocals need a little bit more mids to give it the classic chino sound. I'll have to hear more.

Listen to this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ahsifvwb04332u/ABcomparisonDOOMEDUSER.mp3?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ps7xlvpmewgy05l/Doomedusercomparison.jpg?dl=0

I did a -4dB cut where its really abrasive. I think it makes a huge difference (nasty annoying fizz is reduced)

0-4.8 seconds original
4.8-9.6 seconds -4db 3.4k cut
and so on
A/B comparison

I'm going to need to listen to more.....

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Quote from: xbloodycape on Mar 16, 2016, 05:58 PM
Not sure if this has been posted but here is the direct link to the file posted on the SiriusXM blog.

Is there an mp3 format? This is wav.

https://sxmfeed.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/im-a-fooltbd-track-3.wav

Here it is in MP3 and at 320 Kbps
Enjoy

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Quote from: RoyalDeftonicBoy on Mar 17, 2016, 06:41 AM
Quote from: xbloodycape on Mar 16, 2016, 05:58 PM
Not sure if this has been posted but here is the direct link to the file posted on the SiriusXM blog.

Is there an mp3 format? This is wav.

https://sxmfeed.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/im-a-fooltbd-track-3.wav

Here it is in MP3 and at 320 Kbps http://turbobit.net/gbjont6mysyc.html
Enjoy

N0S3BLEED976

Anyone who says Chino can't scream anymore should listen to that part starting at 1:40 again, or the second verse in general. There are some serious stunners on that one. Comes very close to their self-titled album in terms of rawness and is at the very least much better than his screams on Koi No Yokan.

ANattyRat

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Mar 17, 2016, 09:00 AM
Anyone who says Chino can't scream anymore should listen to that part starting at 1:40 again, or the second verse in general. There are some serious stunners on that one. Comes very close to their self-titled album in terms of rawness and is at the very least much better than his screams on Koi No Yokan.

I agree, there are some awesome screams on the song, and hell, when he was performing When Girls Telephone Boys, he was sounding amazing. I think the thing is consistency, he can't consistently deliver those raw, all-out screams all throughout the song like he used to. There are times that sound like Leathers, that sort of scream-shout that he does. I can understand people missing songs like Hexagram, that rawness that gives you chills. But I also think you can't blame Chino for it at this point, some people's abilities stay the same forever, some people's don't. If he can't consistently deliver screams like that anymore, that's just the reality of the situation, there's no point always complaining, the dude is still doing his best and trying to deliver a wide range of vocals for fans that prefer this style or that style.

rufas

Love this, the vocal style reminds me of SNW

I didn't enjoy that first track they released so much but this has got me well excited for the album

2MoreHours

Hearing Doomed User has made me listen to Goon Squad a lot since yesterday because it helps me to forget the disappointment of hearing Doomed User.

theataraxian

Quote from: B0RNtoR0CK on Mar 17, 2016, 06:09 AM
I don't know man. I just compared Doomed User to White Pony/ Self-titled/ Diamond Eyes in my DAW and its a huge step backward production/mix/master wise... the guitars are in desperate need of a low-cut filter, its really scratchy/abrasive. Vocals need a little bit more mids to give it the classic chino sound. I'll have to hear more.

Listen to this:

I did a -4dB cut where its really abrasive. I think it makes a huge difference (nasty annoying fizz is reduced)

0-4.8 seconds original
and so on
A/B comparison

WOW man. I'm into production a little and can totally notice the difference that cut makes on the guitars. Great example, thanks for posting that.
death is the standard breach for a complex prize

the7thsaga

I dig it. It's kinda like a mix between something on Like Linus and something from Koi No Yokan. Everybody keeps complaining about the production but it sounded fine on my computer speakers. I'll crank it up in the car tonight and see what it do though.

nineteen

Quote from: the7thsaga on Mar 17, 2016, 04:41 PM
I dig it. It's kinda like a mix between something on Like Linus and something from Koi No Yokan. Everybody keeps complaining about the production but it sounded fine on my computer speakers. I'll crank it up in the car tonight and see what it do though.

For sure man. Especially the Linus comparison.

mrpelon94

when can we purchase the single?

kurtone

Quote from: mrpelon94 on Mar 17, 2016, 07:27 PM
when can we purchase the single?

Been wondering this myself, on their website it says its available now, but underneath it shows March 18th

shine down unshy

Quote from: theataraxian on Mar 17, 2016, 03:52 PM

Listen to this:

0-4.8 seconds original
and so on
A/B comparison

WOW man. I'm into production a little and can totally notice the difference that cut makes on the guitars. Great example, thanks for posting that.

Yup, that is quite a difference.  Dude, if you could post your mixof the entire song I would very much appreciate that!

B0RNtoR0CK

Quote from: shine down unshy on Mar 17, 2016, 08:09 PM
Quote from: theataraxian on Mar 17, 2016, 03:52 PM

Listen to this:

0-4.8 seconds original
and so on
A/B comparison

Yup, that is quite a difference.  Dude, if you could post your mixof the entire song I would very much appreciate that!
I don't really have the time right now and by the time that I do the album will probably be leaked or something. I just don't understand why Matt Hyde didn't do an "EQ Sweep" as its called to remove annoying frequencies; at least use a deESSer. Its almost as if Deftones pissed off Matt Hyde and he just said fuck it. Unless Deftones were really aiming for a raw sound. I'm a bit baffled.