Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

First Review of GORE

Started by sharinglungs, Mar 15, 2016, 10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainnyx4

KNY is easily their most progressive, experimental, and complex album. I don't know how this can really be argued. You may not like the tone of the songs, but I don't see how anyone could objectively look at it and say that ATF, WP, S/T, and SNW were somehow more artistically expansive and risky (though you could argue that WP was equally daring and that there were certain songs off of the other albums that were real curve-balls like Anniversary and PCP).

Yoi Yes Kokan

Quote from: Inkblades on Mar 16, 2016, 03:27 AM
Koi would be pushing boundaries if this wasn't the band that gave us ATF, WP, S/T and SNW. When you know the unorthodox directions they've gone in the past, KNY just seems staid. DE didn't really take them in new directions either, but it was more successful because it was a "back to basics/recharge" kind of album, which was necessary after Chi's accident (and also because DE is the more cohesive album). I don't think the reviewer is saying KNY is a bad album, but it's just not as left-field as we know they are capable of being. KNY was Deftones resting on their laurels a little bit. Anyway, this review is exciting, because it seems Gore is a little more dark, haunting, experimental and complex.

nope, it was easily their most experimental album your all backwards about it, you really should write for a column, you have short cuts, cliche opinions like they do.

i will say KNY had just a bunch of good songs and nothing amazing, but thats all I want is good, if its good its good, and the album as a whole is amazing, putting all the good together.

Inkblades

Not really, because outside of this place, many think S/T and SNW are their weakest, while KNY was more critically acclaimed. You're actually in the cliched majority opinion. Not I. Anyway, I'm good on writing columns. I'll just keep voicing my opinion right here where it belongs.

But how is KNY their most experimental? White Pony is clearly the most experimental, because every album from them since WP has been trying to follow the WP model in one way or another - to varying degrees of success. But wait a minute, aren't you the same guy who was saying KNY is also their heaviest?  ;D ;D

And we have different expectations when it comes to Deftones albums. I don't want just a bunch of "good" songs. Why settle for an album of "good" songs when I can have 11 amazing songs, which equals a masterpiece of an album? In other words, an ATF, a WP or a S/T.

ANattyRat

Oh my god, every single thread descends into the same argument because Yoi Yes Yokan keeps stating his opinion as fact. Shut up, please, jeez.

Koi No Yokan is experimental in my opinion, it has a very different feel to even their other experimental albums. But nothing will be as experimental as White Pony, they completely switched things up to the point where they've done so much, expanded on their sound so much, that nothing they do will be as experimental as that.

Anyway, awesome review. All reviews and comments point to the same direction, that the album has a change in mood from the last two albums, is more dark, and I guess sad, at times, if this review is correct. Yet that it's not just an album full of the same thing, there are different sounds and emotions below the underlying tone. I really can't wait to hear this album, should be a breath of fresh air if it's as big a change in direction from the previous two as it seems to be.

TheyCallMeP

Quote from: ANattyRat on Mar 16, 2016, 07:37 AM
Oh my god, every single thread descends into the same argument because Yoi Yes Yokan keeps stating his opinion as fact. Shut up, please, jeez.

Truth. What a clown.

77years

By "In Utero" I wonder if he means claustrophobic delay like you can hear on Doomed User...

HooiserBowhunter

Quote from: 77years on Mar 16, 2016, 02:36 PM
By "In Utero" I wonder if he means claustrophobic delay like you can hear on Doomed User...

I think he was was talking about Xenon when he was referencing In Utero.

Yoi Yes Kokan

Quote from: Inkblades on Mar 16, 2016, 05:10 AM
Not really, because outside of this place, many think S/T and SNW are their weakest, while KNY was more critically acclaimed. You're actually in the cliched majority opinion. Not I. Anyway, I'm good on writing columns. I'll just keep voicing my opinion right here where it belongs.

But how is KNY their most experimental? White Pony is clearly the most experimental, because every album from them since WP has been trying to follow the WP model in one way or another - to varying degrees of success. But wait a minute, aren't you the same guy who was saying KNY is also their heaviest?  ;D ;D

And we have different expectations when it comes to Deftones albums. I don't want just a bunch of "good" songs. Why settle for an album of "good" songs when I can have 11 amazing songs, which equals a masterpiece of an album? In other words, an ATF, a WP or a S/T.

thats all any of their albums are is a bunch of good songs that create a masterpiece, you'll never find anything more than that from any other group.

mr generalization.

every album has been trying to follow the white pony model? yet self titled was considered the disappointment because it was straightforward and supposedly less atmospheric  (to dry ears)? actually SNW was the most spaced out album but it just wasn't as strong as KNY or WP so I didn't mention it, it's really scraped together, but it's easily obvious it was recorded on mars.

and what about KNY being their heaviest? if i remember we were talking about the difference between emotional heavyness and physical 8 string chugga chugga mesa rectifier heavyness, right?  and yes diamond eyes and kny have some of their heaviest material, thankfully they are good enough to not just make a knucklehead, slaughterhouse record like you want.
Quote from: TheyCallMeP on Mar 16, 2016, 12:41 PM

Truth. What a clown.

I guess I should learn how to state my opinion as opinion, you're right. But then the authority and truth in what I say wouldn't be striking a chord within you.

Inkblades

I don't want a "knucklehead" album, so who is making generalizations now? If I wanted that, I wouldn't be a Deftones fan. I'd be on a message board for fucking Limp Bizkit or some random generic metal band.

I simply want an album that goes deeper than Koi No Yokan. That's it. It's not a bad album (they've never made a bad album), but it's just not their best to me - by a long shot. Sorry that upsets you so much, but you'll just have to deal with it.

Yoi Yes Kokan

Quote from: Inkblades on Mar 16, 2016, 09:43 PM
I don't want a "knucklehead" album, so who is making generalizations now? If I wanted that, I wouldn't be a Deftones fan. I'd be on a message board for fucking Limp Bizkit or some random generic metal band.

I simply want an album that goes deeper than Koi No Yokan. That's it. It's not a bad album (they've never made a bad album), but it's just not their best to me - by a long shot. Sorry that upsets you so much, but you'll just have to deal with it.

you're fighting with yourself, i don't even care.

i'm simply touting the new record and people keep talking about around the fur and white pony and keep hating on kny, ok cool, you do you.

nicklav

Truth. What a clown.

Yep. Gets old after a while.

Inkblades

Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Mar 16, 2016, 09:59 PM

you're fighting with yourself, i don't even care.

i'm simply touting the new record and people keep talking about around the fur and white pony and keep hating on kny, ok cool, you do you.

cvthedrv

Quote from: nicklav on Mar 16, 2016, 10:18 PM

Truth. What a clown.

Yep. Gets old after a while.

BAN NO YOKAN, please!

shine down unshy

I have him ignored. There's always one moron on the board.  it's like another one gets re-incarnated every single time a new album drops.  Like a fucked off Jesus or some shit.

Yoi Yes Kokan

Quote from: shine down unshy on Mar 17, 2016, 06:19 AM
I have him ignored. There's always one moron on the board.  it's like another one gets re-incarnated every single time a new album drops.  Like a fucked off Jesus or some shit.

wish i had an ignore but for you brazil, or is this texas?

2MoreHours

I agree with you.  I'm not a big fan of Koi No Yokan.  Like you said, they don't have a bad album; it's just one of my least favorite from their catalog.

2MoreHours

Quote from: Yoi Yes Kokan on Mar 16, 2016, 09:28 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Mar 16, 2016, 05:10 AM

thats all any of their albums are is a bunch of good songs that create a masterpiece, you'll never find anything more than that from any other group.

mr generalization.

every album has been trying to follow the white pony model? yet self titled was considered the disappointment because it was straightforward and supposedly less atmospheric  (to dry ears)? actually SNW was the most spaced out album but it just wasn't as strong as KNY or WP so I didn't mention it, it's really scraped together, but it's easily obvious it was recorded on mars.

and what about KNY being their heaviest? if i remember we were talking about the difference between emotional heavyness and physical 8 string chugga chugga mesa rectifier heavyness, right?  and yes diamond eyes and kny have some of their heaviest material, thankfully they are good enough to not just make a knucklehead, slaughterhouse record like you want.

Truth. What a clown.

I guess I should learn how to state my opinion as opinion, you're right. But then the authority and truth in what I say wouldn't be striking a chord within you.

Looks like someone took out the trash.

beaverwithfishyshoes

hows koi no yokan more experimental than white pony, around the fur, choc starfish etc.??

Far away

Quote from: beaverwithfishyshoes on Mar 23, 2016, 04:11 PM
hows koi no yokan more experimental than white pony, around the fur, choc starfish etc.??

I dont think mentioning a Limp Bizkit record is safe around here...

illthrowROCKS@U

Glad he's gone.  That NYRexall guy needs to go next.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem