Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Did they lie about Back to School?

Started by GreenMaggit, Apr 24, 2016, 01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deftones86

ok so never mind all this back to school BS

but that working title for Rx Queen "ice-skates". that song is about his meth addiction. " I wont stop following you" "Your my girl if you sting me thats all right" then something happened in around his birthday "June 20th" that made him stop "saw a red light in june"  then that image he paints of sitting on the moon to make a fire. its sitting on a toilet with a lighter. he said in an interview that all he did when he was partying around people was stay in the bathroom smoking. Crazy.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: Sunbath on Apr 25, 2016, 02:02 PM
What difference does it make if it was made during original white pony sessions and just finished later on due to label pressure? Even then it was a song that they decided to scrape off the album. FACT is that it wasn't on the first version of the album.

People obviously want to know, because they care about it. Hell, they want to know if the person they love is lying to them.

In this case, he is.
Cause if he couldn't really remember, he would just state that he isn't exactly sure on some details.

Like I said, on the leaked album, 6 months before release, it was on it.

float here 4ever

Cyndicate, could you please share this leak? ;)

pelican fly

Quote from: deftones86 on Apr 25, 2016, 02:13 PM

but that working title for Rx Queen "ice-skates". that song is about his meth addiction. " I wont stop following you" "Your my girl if you sting me thats all right" then something happened in around his birthday "June 20th" that made him stop "saw a red light in june"  then that image he paints of sitting on the moon to make a fire. its sitting on a toilet with a lighter. he said in an interview that all he did when he was partying around people was stay in the bathroom smoking. Crazy.

damn

from_musings

well to be fair, this IS the back to school thread..

but that working title for Rx Queen "ice-skates". that song is about his meth addiction.

sounds like your interpretation? according to chino,he didn't do meth - he did cocaine during wp.he told kerrang in 2006 he spent 2 years doing speed, around 2004-2005. (speed,not meth,meth is much stronger than speed) according to him wp was the cocaine record, hence the title.

Chino: "I'd been through the coke thing making 'White Pony'. That was really the drug of choice and at that time it still seemed like fun. I got over that, but then i got introduced to speed."

But again, who knows

Penicks

he's also done meth during SNW sessions though, I remember reading an interview where he said one of the producers (ezrin?) found his meth pipe or something

from_musings

i wouldn't be surprised. but i do think wp era was cocaine

cvthedrv

drugs on deftones is one of the topics of which im interested the most.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: float here 4ever on Apr 25, 2016, 05:19 PM
Cyndicate, could you please share this leak? ;)

Yes, when I can go thru that old box of discs and dig it out, I will. I am swamped with fights until this weekend is over.

the7thsaga

Caín

Quote from: cvthedrv on Apr 24, 2016, 07:16 PM
im very corious about the original titles of the white pony songs, any idea of the other songs titles? rx queen, street carp, teenager or korea ( wasn't this just white pony?)

1. New Murderer
2. Nightrider
3. Elite
4. Iceskates
5. (DON'T REMEMBER)
6. Teenager
7. Knife Party at the Niko
8. White Pony
9. Timbaland
10. Flint Eastwood
11. Pink Maggot
12. Mini Maggot

Sunbath

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Apr 25, 2016, 03:19 PM
Quote from: Sunbath on Apr 25, 2016, 02:02 PM
What difference does it make if it was made during original white pony sessions and just finished later on due to label pressure? Even then it was a song that they decided to scrape off the album. FACT is that it wasn't on the first version of the album.

People obviously want to know, because they care about it. Hell, they want to know if the person they love is lying to them.

In this case, he is.
Cause if he couldn't really remember, he would just state that he isn't exactly sure on some details.

Like I said, on the leaked album, 6 months before release, it was on it.

Not really an answer to my queston though. For the sake of argument let's say they indeed lied about the timeline. That would mean they still didn't think it was worth putting on the original version of the album in the first place and they still thought it was a mistake right after the song was released ("a stupid fucking song that i don't even fucking like" quote from Entertain Me Film where Chino talks about performing Back To School on Conan O'Brien). I'd say it's just a minor detail on what point the song was made. I mean they're being honest on how they feel about the song, the video and their label having them to do something they didn't want to. That to me takes a lot of balls to admit and is far more important and meaningful.. Just wondering. Carry on!

loeir

Quote from: chino
In one day I rewrote the music and the lyrics, we recorded and then I said 'Is that what you were talking about?' And then they said they were going to release it with a video, they were going to get Paul Hunter who directed Eminem videos to do it, so at that point I was like 'Whatever, I'll trust you, I don't care'. When a record company gets behind you like that it's hard to say no, because the years prior they wouldn't give us the time of day. So the fact they wanted to push things and pay for things was great. I look back on it now and I don't regret it – it's not a terrible song – but the only thing I made a point on was that when it came to do the reissue, they reissued the original record without that song on. It came out and it did what it did.
http://www.rocksound.tv/features/read/deftones-how-white-pony-almost-killed-us

Just wanted to add this

edit:

I found an article which names another working title (CYUA)

http://www.mtv.com/news/620051/deftones-softening-on-next-lp/

The Cyndicate

Quote from: loeir on Apr 26, 2016, 03:12 AM
Quote from: chino
In one day I rewrote the music and the lyrics, we recorded and then I said 'Is that what you were talking about?' And then they said they were going to release it with a video, they were going to get Paul Hunter who directed Eminem videos to do it, so at that point I was like 'Whatever, I'll trust you, I don't care'. When a record company gets behind you like that it's hard to say no, because the years prior they wouldn't give us the time of day. So the fact they wanted to push things and pay for things was great. I look back on it now and I don't regret it – it's not a terrible song – but the only thing I made a point on was that when it came to do the reissue, they reissued the original record without that song on. It came out and it did what it did.
http://www.rocksound.tv/features/read/deftones-how-white-pony-almost-killed-us

Just wanted to add this

edit:

I found an article which names another working title (CYUA)

http://www.mtv.com/news/620051/deftones-softening-on-next-lp/

CYUA I think is wrong.
I think it was CIYF.

Hidalgo

i have always wondered if he's lying, or just talking about "finishing" BTS. because they did change it a decent amount from the leak version. so he could be talking about finishing it, or just straight fibbing, drugs, or terrible memory. combo of 1 2 3?

could be that they did write it in 45min(leak version), & the record company got them to do it before the leak(because they felt change was the only single), but left it off the album because they felt it didn't fit, & months later the label asked them if they'd finish it & add it to the album.

from_musings

Quote from: Hidalgo on Apr 26, 2016, 05:20 AM
could be that they did write it in 45min(leak version), & the record company got them to do it before the leak(because they felt change was the only single), but left it off the album because they felt it didn't fit, & months later the label asked them if they'd finish it & add it to the album.

i guess it's possible that back to school didn't exist when deftones first gave the record to the label. maybe the label asked them to rewrite pink maggit cause they wanted a hit nu metal song - deftones agreed - and the whole thing leaked after that.

maybe it became a plan, like a compromise, deftones got their way (without back to school) and then the label got their way with it on. it's just later when it was time to release back to school, label-style, the label wanted to dust it off and wanted a  "fresher" version

loeir

My guess is that they initially scrapped it cause it wouldn't be worth spoiling the album but when Change became a major hit, the label felt that with BTS, they could make a shit load of money, and offered quite some money to Deftones to finish that song, so they decided to finalize it anyway. That's also the part that Chino doesn't want to tell us.

The Cyndicate

The fact that you have to guess at all, means he has lied to an extent.

3004pd

i still got a cd without Back to School... remember buying it from small music shop in small town after hearing Back to School on TV..but the track wasnt there... never wodered why  :D few months later got  ep...