Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Most underrated/overrated songs?

Started by astynk, Jun 13, 2016, 10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astynk

We've had a lot of favorite songs thread, but there seems to have been no thread like this one.

Disclaimer: I'm not like "mom, see I like their most underrated songs and don't like their hits, it makes me so cool innit". My opinion formed long before I got here and knew which songs most of the fanbase like or don't like.

Underrated songs: TPID, Moana, Mascara, Xenon, PI. The first three are 10/10 to me, pure fucking perfection -- from first to last second.

Overrated songs: Digital Bath, Passenger, Minerva, Change. Rosemary (Tempest is much better), Phantom Bride (shares the last place on Gore with GH). H/W is okay, but it's praised too much.

So, share your opinion. Come on, just say it!

rainnyx4

Most overrated? Most of S/T and Gore.

Dryalex12

im amazed how many people hate Sextape. That song is full on beautiful from beginning to end. No the most underrated song is Mein becasue im one of the few people who dont mind it at all. Id feel the same about Pink Cellphone if it didnt have that stupid ass ending. Fist is pretty underrated too, im dumbfounded how it was the second to go on the elimination. Also Teething, I love that song. Was literally the only good part of the crow part 2.  Rats! is also pretty underappreciated...I like how psychotic it sounds....its like Meshuggah had sex with Mayonaise by SP....and then when it gave birth it became Melania.

As for overrated...im not really too found of MX at all....and tbh i havnt listen to Adrenaline enough to give a proper opinion. while I also like Combat alot....it just kinda reminds me of Rapture part 2. other then that, i dont really mind alot

E-Money

To me Fist is just so great. Man I love that track. Hope they play it one day.

LG95

I'm not going to go into overrated because fuck it, it's Deftones - even the overrated songs are, by and large, great.

There are lots of underrated Deftones songs, possibly too many to mention. As for the most underrated track - on a popular level it's Pink Maggit but there are a lot of hardcore fans who love that song so even though it's definitely underrated, I wouldn't put it top of that pile (although it is my favourite Deftones song of all time). The most underrated IMO is Fist. It is so rare to see that song discussed by any section of the fanbase. It's never played live, it's rarely talked about in a list of their best songs, it's rarely even talked about when people are discussing Adrenaline. And yet the feel of it, the whole atmosphere, the dynamics, the spine-tingling way Chino's vocals come in around the 2 minute mark and then explode "I'm SOOOOOOOOOO DEEEEEEEAAAAAD!!!" - it's such a great song and one that has been criminally underrated for a long time.
I could float here forever

B_S_79

After a few months of Gore, my opinion is that Hearts/Wires is overrated. GH is underrated.

Haven't thought about the other albums - so those are my Gore picks.

illthrowROCKS@U

I just think the whole Diamond Eyes album is overrated.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

krook

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Jun 14, 2016, 02:45 PM
I think the same about White Pony.
Only one 8/10 track which is Korea. The rest are pretty meh.
I hate White Pony.

Dryalex12

Quote from: krook on Jun 15, 2016, 02:10 AM
PM is differently not just meh

krook

Quote from: Dryalex12 on Jun 15, 2016, 02:39 AM
Quote from: krook on Jun 15, 2016, 02:10 AM
PM is differently not just meh
Yeah it's feh.
I hate White Pony.

Penicks

krook

I hate White Pony.

Vesanic

Hah, you'll change your mind in a couple of years, I'm sure.

mrpelon94

minerva..overrated...its just ok ;D...battle-ax underrated

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: mrpelon94 on Jun 15, 2016, 11:40 PM
minerva..overrated...its just ok ;D...battle-ax underrated

Absolutely.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

pony_01

Change(ITHOF) is overrated, while Feiticera, the best song off White Pony, didnt get that much attention

Inkblades

I'll pick one overrated and one underrated from each album.

Overrated: Nosebleed, Damone, Knife Prty, Deathblow, Beware, Sextape, Tempest, Gore.

Underrated: Minus Blindfold, Lhabia, The Boy's Republic (not sure if any song on WP is underrated, though), Good Morning Beautiful, Mein, CMND/CTRL, Graphic Nature, Xenon.

krook

Quote from: Inkblades on Jun 19, 2016, 04:43 PM
Nice idea.

Overrated: My Own Summer, Digital Bath, Minerva, Hole in the Earth, Royal, Rosemary, Phantom Bride
Underrated: Mascara, The Boy's Republic, Moana, Rapture, 976EVIL, Romantic Dreams, Xenon
I hate White Pony.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: krook on Jun 21, 2016, 02:43 PM
Nice idea.

Overrated: My Own Summer, Digital Bath, Minerva, Hole in the Earth, Royal, Rosemary, Phantom Bride
Underrated: Mascara, The Boy's Republic, Moana, Rapture, 976EVIL, Romantic Dreams, Xenon

You skipped Adrenaline?
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

krook

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Jun 21, 2016, 02:48 PM
Quote from: krook on Jun 21, 2016, 02:43 PM
Nice idea.

You skipped Adrenaline?

No songs on Adrenaline are under/overrated.
I hate White Pony.