Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

What song from Gore grew on you the most? Which parts?

Started by TheyCallMeP, Jun 19, 2016, 02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheyCallMeP

Xenon has grown on me so much since I first listened to it. I always thought the lyrics were good, but the vocal melody along with the music itself didn't sound like Deftones to me. I've warmed up to the verses but the chorus is so catchy! It's one of the most memorable (maybe not best) points of the album for me.

Also I'm a sucker for Abe's drumming. Aside from Chino's vocals, Abe has always been my favorite part of Deftones. The fill he does right before chorus hits does it for me. Very solid contributions by him as usual.

rainnyx4

Nothing really. Pretty disappointing album. If anything, I've been finding more faults and points open for criticism the more I listen to it.

illthrowROCKS@U

Pittura went from my least fav song on the album to a top 3 for me. I love the bridge in particular.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

krook

(L)MIRL. It was a meh song to me for like a month, but now it's easily in top 5 of the album.
H/W. I didn't even care to listen to it till the end at first... now I think it's pretty decent but still not all that great.
P/H still sucks though. I don't think I'll ever get into this track. Jerry's contribution fucks it all up.
As well as GH. The beginning is just plain weird. As I said before, it's the Pink Cellphone of Gore.
I hate White Pony.

ANattyRat

(L)MIRL. Loved the first minute or so, then it sounds happy and I hated it because I was expecting a dark song. Then I listened to it more and wanted to listen to it on repeat, and I realised that, despite the music sounding more upbeat, it still had a dark-ish vibe to it, especially lyrically. It's an incredible song, one of my favourites, and I especially love the guitars. The beginning sounds a little bit like Digital Bath, and I view the song as a bit of a sequel to it.

Also Xenon. Loved the music and the verses, didn't like the chorus. But now I love the whole song, the chorus is ridiculously catchy.

elite54

Hey rainnyx4, do you like the album? I don't think we've seen a take from you yet.

cvthedrv

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Jun 19, 2016, 02:27 PM
Pittura went from my least fav song on the album to a top 3 for me. I love the bridge in particular.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: elite54 on Jun 19, 2016, 05:06 PM
Hey rainnyx4, do you like the album? I don't think we've seen a take from you yet.

Hahahahahaha! Comment of the day!
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

kleptoned

Still a good album but not amazing.  Lmirl Pittura an Geo are amazing. P/t is good but a few are definitely meh.  Not my favorite album but still enjoyable

Dath

I didn't care much for Acid Hologram at first but it ended up as one of my favorites, especially the section with the distorted vocals. It's such a sinister soundscape, really out of left field especially for 2010s era Deftones.

Rubicon also grew on me a lot, the whole band gels seamlessly and the flourishes on the chorus are a highlight. I wish they'd play it that way live.

The Cyndicate

I could kill an army while listening to LMirl, including myself.

HooiserBowhunter

Rubicon was the song that grew on me the most. Its not my favorite track on the album, but I actually dig it now.

krook

Are there songs you've started to like less than you did at the first listen?
For me it's the title track. At first it seemed to be one of the two decent songs (the second was Rubicon), but now it's in the worse half of the album for me.
I hate White Pony.

LG95

Pittura Infamante. Really threw me on first listen, now I fucking love it.
I could float here forever

nicklav

Acid Hologram. It's the only one I consistently listen to. Feels like a S/T throwback.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: nicklav on Jun 21, 2016, 04:42 PM
Acid Hologram. It's the only one I consistently listen to. Feels like a S/T throwback.

I always thought the same, a lot of ST throwbacks on Gore.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

wkcwkc

Couldn't agree more on the S/T throwbacks.  Said it before, say it again...Acid Hologram is incredible. 

Cullision

Gore is nothing like S/T. To me Acid hologram and H/w were the only songs that seemed like Deftones, and I got bored with them after a few weeks.

ANattyRat

Quote from: nicklav on Jun 21, 2016, 04:42 PM

There's a part on Acid Hologram that reminds me a lot of MX, the whispered/mumbled vocals with the effect on them, the same kind of thing he does on MX, which I love. I didn't like Acid Hologram much at first, felt too repetitive, but after a few listens I feel like it fits well.

B_S_79

Doomed User grew on me the most - just because it sounds great when you play it loud.  The main riff is great - very simple, but sounds great when it Stef's licks syncs with the bass.

I love G/H - favorite song on the album since I first heard it. I've flip flopped a bunch.

I think H/W is very overrated but I loved it in the beginning - such a great intro and then it does NOTHING to build on it . I soured on Rubicon and Phantom Bride after a few listens, but tracks 4-8 is a great stretch of songs.