Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Greatest setlist ever played in Vegas tonight.

Started by The Cyndicate, Jul 09, 2017, 05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Cyndicate

You guys dont even know.
Ill post some when I get home. I was laughing so hard when they did Back to School. What a show.

The Cyndicate

Ok but on a serious note, I know what you guys were saying about the setlist and I still thought it was really good.

The only song I really wanted to hear that didn't get played, was Royal.

But you know, Teething, BQAD, Knife Prty, even Back to School was pretty good.

So you guys might think it's the same the whole tour or whatever, but I heard a ton of people leave the Vegas show tonight, blown away that some of those songs were played.

Blue P

The Cyndicate

Quote from: Blue P on Jul 09, 2017, 08:40 PM
Same boring setlist

I guess that's fine for you to think that, if you have seen it a bunch, but we haven't. I have seen them a lot, way back and some of these songs he would outright refuse to play. So maybe it's a good thing that he is playing them a lot now in modern shows.

I'm just saying, we all really enjoyed it.

And also, I couldn't help but laugh at BTS.

ANattyRat

I guess the thing is, it's a great setlist if you've never/rarely heard them play those songs. I'd love to hear Teething and Back to School for sure, but the rest of the setlist wouldn't be particularly memorable. That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy the show, just in terms of setlists it wouldn't be that great. I saw them play in May and was expecting a few Gore songs because they'd been playing three or four on that tour, but they only played one. And they didn't play Teething even though they'd played that pretty much every show. So besides Phantom Bride the setlist was full of songs I'd seen them play before, but even just hearing Phantom Bride for the first time was enough to make that show brilliant.

So I get what you're saying, definitely. It's one thing to look at the setlists and say they're boring and repetitive, but another to actually be there when your favourite songs are being played, or songs you haven't heard yet. That said, this tour is almost like a festival tour, so repetitive setlists are part of that kind of tour. When they do their own headline tours they play a lot more.

Vesanic

The problem isn't simply that they play the same thing. It is that Chino hyped up the tour by mentioning never played before songs during the webcast with Rise Against. And most importantly, it wasn't the first time!

Back in 2011 I think it was, during an interview with Daniel Carter, he literally said "You should come to the shows this time around man, cause we're gonna play some really rare shit.". Did it happen? No.

Now I get that not everyone is an obsessive hardcore like me, and if you're seeing them once you'll probably be very satisfied. But bear in mind this band has been going for almost thirty years. There's a fair portion of old timers amongst these first time fans. I think I speak in the name of at least half of this forum just counting this place, which has been the most solid and regular fan base of theirs ever since the 00s. I also know for a fact my channel has served the purpose of making some new fans stay for longer, making some other people jump on the wagon, or making old fans who'd forgotten about them come back for one more shot.

We hardcores can be very demanding but it's not out of the blue. Remember the Paradiso setlist, it was a mutual effort and there were so many people blown away by Combat AND The Boy's Republic in the same set. I understand doing it on a regular basis would kill the mystique but it's not what we want, and you can't hold off on your secret weapons forever.

Just remember what Chino said about Metallica and their repetitive setlist in 2003. He straight up dissed them for playing the same shit over and over while having a unique huge catalogue. Sounds familiar?

The Cyndicate

Quote from: ANattyRat on Jul 10, 2017, 09:21 AM
I guess the thing is, it's a great setlist if you've never/rarely heard them play those songs. I'd love to hear Teething and Back to School for sure, but the rest of the setlist wouldn't be particularly memorable. That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy the show, just in terms of setlists it wouldn't be that great. I saw them play in May and was expecting a few Gore songs because they'd been playing three or four on that tour, but they only played one. And they didn't play Teething even though they'd played that pretty much every show. So besides Phantom Bride the setlist was full of songs I'd seen them play before, but even just hearing Phantom Bride for the first time was enough to make that show brilliant.

So I get what you're saying, definitely. It's one thing to look at the setlists and say they're boring and repetitive, but another to actually be there when your favourite songs are being played, or songs you haven't heard yet. That said, this tour is almost like a festival tour, so repetitive setlists are part of that kind of tour. When they do their own headline tours they play a lot more.

Right.
The thing is,.. Lets just be honest here,.. they are normally HORRIBLE live. Just BAD. The show they did here in Vegas, you could tell Chino was fucked up, but they still had a good show. It wasn't perfect,.. like seeing a Tool show, but because they are normally SO bad, A pretty good show feels brilliant.

So you know, I guess it gives them a chance to practice it, until they can be good at it, even on a bad night. So hey, it works for me.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: Vesanic on Jul 10, 2017, 12:51 PM
The problem isn't simply that they play the same thing. It is that Chino hyped up the tour by mentioning never played before songs during the webcast with Rise Against. And most importantly, it wasn't the first time!

Back in 2011 I think it was, during an interview with Daniel Carter, he literally said "You should come to the shows this time around man, cause we're gonna play some really rare shit.". Did it happen? No.

Now I get that not everyone is an obsessive hardcore like me, and if you're seeing them once you'll probably be very satisfied. But bear in mind this band has been going for almost thirty years. There's a fair portion of old timers amongst these first time fans. I think I speak in the name of at least half of this forum just counting this place, which has been the most solid and regular fan base of theirs ever since the 00s. I also know for a fact my channel has served the purpose of making some new fans stay for longer, making some other people jump on the wagon, or making old fans who'd forgotten about them come back for one more shot.

We hardcores can be very demanding but it's not out of the blue. Remember the Paradiso setlist, it was a mutual effort and there were so many people blown away by Combat AND The Boy's Republic in the same set. I understand doing it on a regular basis would kill the mystique but it's not what we want, and you can't hold off on your secret weapons forever.

Just remember what Chino said about Metallica and their repetitive setlist in 2003. He straight up dissed them for playing the same shit over and over while having a unique huge catalogue. Sounds familiar?

I would consider myself fairly hardcore. I mean,.. I've been listening to them since the first album,.. I mean,.. really before that, when I got a free demo tape at one of the shows, BEFORE the first album dropped. I would rather them play some songs really well, than them playing a rare song, really badly.

LG95

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Jul 11, 2017, 08:35 AM
Right.
The thing is,.. Lets just be honest here,.. they are normally HORRIBLE live. Just BAD.
Nope.
I could float here forever

Blue P

Yes, I've heard awful things about the Deftones live by many fans and more. Stuff as Chino is always plastered and unintelligible, they're boring and repetitive, .

LG95

Quote from: Blue P on Jul 11, 2017, 11:15 PM
Yes, I've heard awful things about the Deftones live by many fans and more. Stuff as Chino is always plastered and unintelligible, they're boring and repetitive, .
What number account is this now? Six? Seven?

Such a weird, boring cunt you are.

ANattyRat

Quote from: Vesanic on Jul 10, 2017, 12:51 PM

He said that before the Europe tour, I remember wondering if he meant they'd be playing repetitive stuff for Europe and then bust out the rarities for the Rise Against tour. Maybe they changed their minds and decided to give Europe those few rarities and switched up setlists. It wasn't the most unique setlist in existence, but Street Carp, Back to School, Teething, Phantom Bride and switching around Gore songs? I think we can all agree that it was a big improvement in terms of setlists. With their shows with Rise Against, it seems like festival kind of stuff, so I guess they changed their minds, but it's not like they didn't do it at all, they just did it for the Europe tour instead.

Quote from: The Cyndicate on Jul 11, 2017, 08:35 AM
Quote from: ANattyRat on Jul 10, 2017, 09:21 AM

Right.
The thing is,.. Lets just be honest here,.. they are normally HORRIBLE live. Just BAD. The show they did here in Vegas, you could tell Chino was fucked up, but they still had a good show. It wasn't perfect,.. like seeing a Tool show, but because they are normally SO bad, A pretty good show feels brilliant.

I know you've been a fan since forever, but how many shows have you been to??? They're usually great live. Chino can be hit-and-miss basically depending on the day, but I've seen them play while he had pneumonia and dude still sounded good, though it was vocally the weakest of all the shows I've been to. You can catch them on a bad day, sure, and you're right, they're never the kind of band who are completely perfect for an entire show, but that isn't the same as being horrible either.

Blue P

Quote from: LG95 on Jul 12, 2017, 05:54 AM
What number account is this now? Six? Seven?

Such a weird, boring cunt you are.
What? Rumors? At least you're spreading something besides your legs. Faggot.
Do you want to see something stupid? Look in the mirror!

Penicks

Índigo flow

True ! 100%

LG95

Eventually this forum's just going to be this guy talking to himself.

illthrowROCKS@U

9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

mrpelon94

whats new haven't been on in months....i wish they'd put out more content throughout the years

The Cyndicate

Quote from: ANattyRat on Jul 12, 2017, 07:57 AM
I know you've been a fan since forever, but how many shows have you been to??? They're usually great live. Chino can be hit-and-miss basically depending on the day, but I've seen them play while he had pneumonia and dude still sounded good, though it was vocally the weakest of all the shows I've been to. You can catch them on a bad day, sure, and you're right, they're never the kind of band who are completely perfect for an entire show, but that isn't the same as being horrible either.

I've been to quite a bit. The band has always been good to great, but Chino has always been just way off. Drunk or something, then that point in time where his vocals were destroyed. I've just never really seen a good show from him, but this one was pretty good.