Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Ohms: pre-release hype thread

Started by LG95, Feb 24, 2018, 01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleeping_Giant

Quote from: LG95 on May 01, 2020, 11:37 PM
Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on May 01, 2020, 10:45 PM
Quote from: Vesanic on May 01, 2020, 08:40 PMI'm pretty sure that clip hyped things up for fans then just like this one is doing now.
It's just my feeling, but Deftones have terrible PR team. They deserve more attention.
Don't get the criticism of their PR team. What's that based on?

Maybe "terrible" wasn't the word I should have used out there. In my opinion their communication with fans is quite weak. If that's what the guys want, then ok - maybe I don't get it. My point is - their FB/IG pages can be silent for weeks. They don't do many interviews and when they do, it contains the same questions asked again and again. I follow activities of quite a lot of bands, as most of you here. You can't deny that Deftones have a bit poor marketing, right? Maybe it's intentional...or maybe I'm completely wrong.

Many friends of mine forgot that Deftones are still around and were a bit shocked while listening to Gore. Many of them were not aware Gore is out. They were listening to Deftones a lot in the past...

LG95

Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on May 02, 2020, 12:16 AM
Quote from: Vesanic on May 01, 2020, 08:40 PMI'm pretty sure that clip hyped things up for fans then just like this one is doing now.
It's just my feeling, but Deftones have terrible PR team. They deserve more attention.

Maybe "terrible" wasn't the word I should have used out there. In my opinion their communication with fans is quite weak. If that's what the guys want, then ok - maybe I don't get it. My point is - their FB/IG pages can be silent for weeks. They don't do many interviews and when they do, it contains the same questions asked again and again. I follow activities of quite a lot of bands, as most of you here. You can't deny that Deftones have a bit poor marketing, right? Maybe it's intentional...or maybe I'm completely wrong.

Many friends of mine forgot that Deftones are still around and were a bit shocked while listening to Gore. Many of them were not aware Gore is out. They were listening to Deftones a lot in the past...
It's pretty clearly intentional. They're pretty much as popular as they've ever been. Subheadlining the big metal and rock festivals and headlining others (they were due to headline Hellfest this year until coronavirus), playing arena-size venues in most places across the world. Critically, they've gained grudging respect from outlets outside of rock and metal press (something they never really had until the last decade) and Gore charted higher on its week of release than any other Deftones album, including White Pony.

What your friends are aware of is pretty irrelevant. I think by most measurements, their PR can't be doing much wrong. Whether you want more communication from them via social media is not actually a PR issue, at least in terms of where they're at now in their career.
I could float here forever

Sleeping_Giant

Quote from: LG95 on May 02, 2020, 12:41 AM
Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on May 02, 2020, 12:16 AM

It's pretty clearly intentional. They're pretty much as popular as they've ever been. Subheadlining the big metal and rock festivals and headlining others (they were due to headline Hellfest this year until coronavirus), playing arena-size venues in most places across the world. Critically, they've gained grudging respect from outlets outside of rock and metal press (something they never really had until the last decade) and Gore charted higher on its week of release than any other Deftones album, including White Pony.

What your friends are aware of is pretty irrelevant. I think by most measurements, their PR can't be doing much wrong. Whether you want more communication from them via social media is not actually a PR issue, at least in terms of where they're at now in their career.

Well, you must be right then. I forgot that Gore had amazing first week. I'm wondering what will be the marketing strategy for new record with COVID-19 around and how much it will affect their sales result.

kurtone

Frank is doing a stream on his own twitch channel tomorrow night too. Looks like it's some sort of collab with Crook.

Vesanic

Lol first it was Abe, now someone leaked the tracklist  ;D

Gaz

Looks like it's been deleted?

Vesanic

Lol it was a prank.

Sleeping_Giant

https://twitter.com/zanelowe/status/1257020219647614981/photo/1

I'm wondering if Chino will share any small detail about new record.

plagasx

Yea, an interview with Zane is pretty big. We might get something out of Chino or maybe even, if we're lucky, a tease of a new song perhaps  :D :D

Inkblades

I will go insane if they don't release the album this year.

nicklav

I can't wait to hear a Deftones album that actually sounds like Deftones. I put on Gore for a minute and switched to a Date album right after. Night and fucking day.

sharinglungs

There's no reason they need to wait to tour to release the album. Once touring starts, they're going to sell out every single date no matter what because people will be concert crazy after all of this.

LG95

Yeah it's an old mindset. Albums support tours now, not the other way round.
I could float here forever

Vesanic

In fact, giving people the time to ingest the songs could really work for live shows.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: nicklav on May 06, 2020, 12:55 AM
I can't wait to hear a Deftones album that actually sounds like Deftones. I put on Gore for a minute and switched to a Date album right after. Night and fucking day.

I put the needle down on Gore this past weekend and honestly my opinion of it is better now than ever before. It definitely took time to grow on me, but now I consider it a decent album even for Deftones.

I even consider it better than some albums that I won't mention, because it might get me chased off this board by screaming people carrying pitchforks and torches.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

nicklav

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on May 06, 2020, 08:37 PM
Quote from: nicklav on May 06, 2020, 12:55 AM

I put the needle down on Gore this past weekend and honestly my opinion of it is better now than ever before. It definitely took time to grow on me, but now I consider it a decent album even for Deftones.

I even consider it better than some albums that I won't mention, because it might get me chased off this board by screaming people carrying pitchforks and torches.

Hey man, fair enough. I think the songwriting is great, I was more commenting on the production.

Inkblades

Quote from: sharinglungs on May 06, 2020, 02:38 AM
There's no reason they need to wait to tour to release the album. Once touring starts, they're going to sell out every single date no matter what because people will be concert crazy after all of this.

Quote from: Vesanic on May 06, 2020, 05:17 AM
In fact, giving people the time to ingest the songs could really work for live shows.

Solid points. Also, not trying to sound snotty about Chino's comment, but it's not like they toured Koi or Gore super hard outside of a couple songs anyway.

kurtone

Quote from: Inkblades on May 07, 2020, 11:38 PM

Solid points. Also, not trying to sound snotty about Chino's comment, but it's not like they toured Koi or Gore super hard outside of a couple songs anyway.

This. I don't get the point of putting out new music if they're not going to play it.

Vesanic

Quote from: Inkblades on May 07, 2020, 11:38 PM

That's true... I remember following the KNY tour and being surprised with the lack of material, especially after how hard they toured Diamond Eyes. I think I know why now.