Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Ohms: pre-release hype thread

Started by LG95, Feb 23, 2018, 11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Formant

Lovers is so good. My favorite track from that album (or album sessions, in this case, although it was originally the title track).

Where do y'all think Lovers would sit in the track listing? Like, between which songs?

I'm thinking before Bloody Cape.

wbasmith

Still never understood why Lovers was cut, it fucking slaps.

Here's to B Sides and Rarities 2, man I really hope we get that after Blk Stallion and (a big maybe) Eros EP. Easy money for the band to just whack that out and huge pay off for fans.

Lovers, Teething, Crest, Can't Even Breathe, Jealous guy, Boy's Republic plus probably a fair few more that i cant think of off the top of my head

ConcealingFate92

S/T is also my fav album, undisputed. Funny thing is that I used to love S/T thanks to songs like Hexagram, WGTB and Bloody Cape, but while i still fucking adore them, it's tracks like Minerva, Battle-Axe, Deathblow and, yes, Anniversary Of... that makes me come back to hear it every day. Then we have WP and ATF, that I also play it religiously almost every day. The other LP I enjoy it once in a while,
Always the same old taste, just a new injury...

wbasmith

Quote from: Formant on Aug 19, 2020, 10:10 PM
Lovers is so good. My favorite track from that album (or album sessions, in this case, although it was originally the title track).

Where do y'all think Lovers would sit in the track listing? Like, between which songs?

I'm thinking before Bloody Cape.

Ive always had it as the last track after moana, simply because thats where it was when i torrented it way back when, was shocked when i bought the CD and it wasnt on there

There Will Be Blood

Buffalo Finger of Death is my favorite b- side I hope it's on Eros or we can some day hear the finished track with Chino.

Matthewtheloser

Lovers has got to be the best Deftones b-side. It's absolutely criminal that it didn't end up on the album. In a weird way, the inclusion of just that song I think would bump S/T up a few notches in my favorite Deftones albums.

buflen

Quote from: ConcealingFate92 on Aug 19, 2020, 10:11 PM
S/T is also my fav album, undisputed. Funny thing is that I used to love S/T thanks to songs like Hexagram, WGTB and Bloody Cape, but while i still fucking adore them, it's tracks like Minerva, Battle-Axe, Deathblow and, yes, Anniversary Of... that makes me come back to hear it every day. Then we have WP and ATF, that I also play it religiously almost every day. The other LP I enjoy it once in a while,
for me, Battle-Axe and Deathblow are super close to be amazing songs, but the lack of payoff on both song just ruins them for me. It seems like they are going no where. By payoff I'm thinking like the end of Change.

I know this is not a popular opinion.

buflen

And again, in my humble opinion, Lovers is a much stronger song than most of S/T.

Vesanic

@wbasmith Chino went on record to say it was recorded too late to add it to the record, and mentioned it was his favorite cut from the S/T sessions

Formant

Quote from: buflen on Aug 19, 2020, 10:15 PM
for me, Battle-Axe and Deathblow are super close to be amazing songs, but the lack of payoff on both song just ruins them for me. It seems like they are going no where. By payoff I'm thinking like the end of Change.

I don't entirely disagree. Good moments on both tracks (the pounding intro riff for Battle Axe is great, Frank's synth work on Deathblow as well), but I typically skip them when listening to S/T.

Draken

Remember CD release parties at record stores... hell, remember record stores? I can still remember the feeling walking into my local record store to pick up my pre-ordered copy of Self Titled and they were playing When Girls Telephone Boys at full volume. The hairs on my neck were standing up!

976-EVIL

One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Vesanic

@Draken Glassjaw had a listening party for their latest record!

wbasmith

Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 19, 2020, 10:16 PM
@wbasmith Chino went on record to say it was recorded too late to add it to the record, and mentioned it was his favorite cut from the S/T sessions

Ahh shame :(

Still praying for it on a 2nd B Sides and Rarities. Diamonds in the rough album or something

Draken

Oh shit they did??! That's awesome.

Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 19, 2020, 10:20 PM
@Draken Glassjaw had a listening party for their latest record!

LG95

Quote from: buflen on Aug 19, 2020, 10:15 PM

Battle Axe and Deathblow are better without those sort of 'pay-offs'. It would spoil the tone of the songs otherwise. Depressing, moody tracks that aren't resolved in an obvious way, and leave that tension hanging. It's artistically the best thing to do, although I understand why it puts some people off.
I could float here forever

buflen

And don't ban me, but Hexagram, I feel everything musically in this song is amazing and the verses vocals are great, but goddamnit, whatever chino is doing on the chorus is dumb.

Vesanic

I used to think that about the S/T. It bore me to death. I thought every song sounded the same.

Then I had my own dark days so to speak, and I connected 200%. Beautiful piece.

Vesanic

Does anyone else remember an interview with Abe, and I think it was Frank too... they briefly mentioned Lovers and refer to it as "Brian Dennehy", and Abe gives a shout out to sharinglungs?