Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

"Ohms" - Deftones New Album

Started by Drop-Dead, Aug 20, 2020, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buflen

Quote from: Visionz on Sep 09, 2020, 03:09 AM
Pretty sure they named the album and Frank Maddocks created the artwork.
Chino looked up and chose the pony clip art for the cover. The logo itself wasn't even designed by them, they just paid for the rights, like the diamond eyes cover. He said it in interview.

film_maker

Pretty sure they named the album and Frank Maddocks created the artwork. U think Chino asked him to make it like Hum’s cover? Doesnt sound right to me. I think its a coincidence like any cover art with a mammal fearured on it. Just my opinion maybe. I just think that would be a little too obvious and so so so lacking creativity which is part of the fun for us and i would think for the band also.

Pretty sure Chino knew after the WP cover was done that it had some resemblance with the Hum cover, and it's alright....it's definetly a coincidence, but it  doesn't hurt to see it as a homage/influence thing too, whatever.

Shadow46/2

Quote from: all3n_y on Sep 09, 2020, 04:28 AM
Shot in the dark here, but for those that have heard most of the album, do you happen to know which song contains the lyric *edited*?

Pretty sure it's Urantia.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

I_Know_ok

Vesanic deleting those post for no reason at all in ...3....2....1

Visionz

Quote from: film_maker on Sep 09, 2020, 05:44 AM
Pretty sure they named the album and Frank Maddocks created the artwork. U think Chino asked him to make it like Hum's cover? Doesnt sound right to me. I think its a coincidence like any cover art with a mammal fearured on it. Just my opinion maybe. I just think that would be a little too obvious and so so so lacking creativity which is part of the fun for us and i would think for the band also.

Pretty sure Chino knew after the WP cover was done that it had some resemblance with the Hum cover, and it's alright....it's definetly a coincidence, but it  doesn't hurt to see it as a homage/influence thing too, whatever.

Ok fair enough doesnt hurt at all. It is one of the things I like most about them that they are not afraid to talk about or admit somebody being an influence on some thing so I could buy it I guess

976-EVIL

Quote from: I_Know_ok on Sep 09, 2020, 06:29 AM

YIKES!
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

buflen

10 years ago I would have listened to all the low quality leaks already. I'm glad I haven't this time.

DenakDW

I hope in ten years (if deftones are still a band) i can say the same thing. really not a grat decision listening those leaks.
And all the days I've missed you 🍂

976-EVIL

God Help Me!
So excited for the new music!!!
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

stu_101

Quote from: buflen on Sep 09, 2020, 05:03 AM
Chino looked up and chose the pony clip art for the cover. The logo itself wasn't even designed by them, they just paid for the rights, like the diamond eyes cover. He said it in interview.

DE cover was inspired when Chino was staying with the band's long term Uk publicist/friend. She lives in country barn and has barn owls. From the outset, Chino wanted an owl on the cover and Frank M worked up some ideas.

zeromindset

Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on Sep 08, 2020, 01:06 AM
Quote from: sharinglungs on Sep 07, 2020, 11:30 PM
When do you guys think we'll get the 30 second previews?

I don't remember 30 second previews for Gore. Maybe there will be no Ohms previews either.

I remember couple of things before Gore release:

-> greGORErio - some funny guy who leaked interesting facts about the album ~2 months before the release date. No one belived him but all he said was correct;
-> it leaked just ~ 3-4 days before the official release (TokyoDrifer was chasing people to get a link)
-> SL community loved the production at the beginning :D
-> someone said H/T sounds like Pink Floyd lol
-> hype was bigger

The only thing I remember about the days leading up to Gore was that there was a fake album leak from somewhere in Europe I think and my band's single at the time was randomly used for the title track lol

RaptureWS

Quote from: DenakDW on Sep 09, 2020, 09:20 AM
I hope in ten years (if deftones are still a band) i can say the same thing. really not a grat decision listening those leaks.

Same here. Curiousity/excitement got the best of me. I've never doubted Deftones as I love every single album, but I always get worried eventually they will write an album I don't jive with. I guess the silver lining of the leaks is that it reassured me I'm going to adore this album as well. It also gets me stoked for all the other fans because I'm almost certain this one is going to be universally adored by fans new and old alike.
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

Vesanic

I can't stress this enough. I listened to the leaks and I wish I hadn't. I know I'm going to buy it anyway, that feels like a bad excuse I'm giving to myself though.

This album is going to be up there. Don't ruin that experience with those leaks, you really don't want to do that.

Picture yourself trying to take a peak at the Christmas gift the night before, when everyone's asleep. I never did that myself but I can understand how that would ruin the fun for one in the long haul.

The stuff will still be appreciated, but it'll kill the maximum buzz you could have got if you had stuck tight.

Vesanic

Quote from: 976-EVIL on Sep 09, 2020, 07:39 AM
Quote from: I_Know_ok on Sep 09, 2020, 06:29 AM

YIKES!

I think my point was made pretty clearly, sorry if you failed to see it!

Far away

I dont even get THAT hyped anymore. Does that mean I dont love them? No, I still do, but since S/T was released, I always got myself thinking/acting like some of you, so excited and then the record releases and Im like?: "Thats it?". Nowdays, I just spend my time waiting for a new record listening to some other stuff, and definitely avoid reading/listening too much Deftones.

If its good, its good, if its not, oh well. Theres not a single thing they can do that would erase all the past 24 years of my life they've been with me. Even if they release dogshit records til the day they decide to retire. There, a boomer (kinda) history that none of you asked, lol...

ps: Im not following my own advice, since Im here. But compared to what it used to be a few years ago, its almost nothing.

Gaz

I wasn't hyped about Gore, maybe because I was going through some personal stuff at the time, but I just didn't get THAT into the build up and release. This time around it's different for me, maybe because I'm glad they are still making music and releasing an album in a year where my son was born.

That with Covid causing mass changes across the world and impacting our lives in different ways, it feels a bit more special

imbrie

Quote from: buflen on Sep 09, 2020, 08:15 AM
10 years ago I would have listened to all the low quality leaks already. I'm glad I haven't this time.

Absolutely the same for me. I'm really glad that I haven't caved and listened and I most definitely would have done a few years ago so certainly understand why some couldn't resist.

DeftonesNZ

Haven't heard leaks either, it's kind of cool going in fresh. Previously I would be a lot more eager to hear anything regardless of quality, I'm still hyped now but back when Gore came out I didn't really have much going on in life,

I wasn't depressed or anything serious but I had just dropped out of University because I realized I didn't actually want to pursue what I was studying. I had no direction for a while after that but new music was one of those things that broke things up a bit, it helped distract me but I think I was definitely lessening the experience of hearing a new album

Now I've got a better balance going on so new music and games just sneak up on me and I get to enjoy things as intended. I owe alot to Deftones, they really made me broaden my music tastes, because of that I'm into a wider array of bands so there's always new material coming out and I get the feeling of hearing new music all the time which has made me a happier person.

ChubbyChino

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Sep 09, 2020, 01:11 PM
Now I've got a better balance going on so new music and games just sneak up on me and I get to enjoy things as intended. I owe alot to Deftones.

You've finally achieved balance, balance, balance. Interesting.

(this will make sense for you in 2 weeks)

buflen

Quote from: stu_101 on Sep 09, 2020, 10:06 AM
Quote from: buflen on Sep 09, 2020, 05:03 AM

DE cover was inspired when Chino was staying with the band’s long term Uk publicist/friend. She lives in country barn and has barn owls. From the outset, Chino wanted an owl on the cover and Frank M worked up some ideas.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but the cover of DE is a picture taken by John Ross that was taken before and completely unrelated to the album and was on sale on stock images websites like shutterstock. You can't have a cheaper and lazier way to make an album cover. But I guess it fits the album.