Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theis

just watched Into the Wild. it was amazing in every way. i bawled my eyes out at the end...

bright lights, big city

that takes some balls to admit, and you know what? i won't deny it. i weeped like a little girl too.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

it's usually not often i get teary while watching movies, but this movie really touched me emotionally.

i could relate to a lot in Chris' character.

lithium

into the wild is another movie i've been dodging
💩

bright lights, big city

come on man, don't you enjoy a good cry?!? lol
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

lithium

i cant remember the last time a movie made me cry
💩

theis

watch into the wild...that should take care of that.

Shaye

I've been wanting to see that movie. And since it made you guys cry, I'm probably going to be a mess.

devilinside

Quote from: lithium on Mar 28, 2008, 02:11 PM

liar

goldpony

Quote from: lithium on Mar 28, 2008, 02:11 PM

brokeback mountain
saving private ryan

the only movies i ever cried about
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

lithium

watched into the wild... meh, no tears here.

you guys wiki hiim? what a tard
💩

wither-I

Quote from: lithium on Mar 30, 2008, 08:05 PM

haha same here... i read the posts here yesterday and finally went and watched it, but no cry cry. still pretty watchable

"coming into the nearness of distance"

13hourstoparadise

Quote from: lithium on Mar 30, 2008, 08:05 PM

He had more balls than you!

lithium

it has nothing to do with balls, there was a way to cross the river half a mile away, and he was a few miles away from cabins stocked with food... he went into the wild with no map, or proper equipment.  a lot of people romanticize his journey.. but there isnt anything heroic about it.. like wikipedia says, it was stupid and suicidal
💩

samson simpson

I cried like I was cuttin Onions Y0

samson simpson

im Emo though :(

DONT PROTEST!

shine down unshy

I watched this movie too and I didn't like it.  But Run Fatboy Run is a funny ass movie, David Schwimmer's directorial debut wasn't so bad after all.

wither-I

Quote from: lithium on Mar 31, 2008, 12:21 AM
it has nothing to do with balls, there was a way to cross the river half a mile away, and he was a few miles away from cabins stocked with food... he went into the wild with no map, or proper equipment.  a lot of people romanticize his journey.. but there isnt anything heroic about it.. like wikipedia says, it was stupid and suicidal
well put... the whole daddy yells at mommy and sometime pushes her around thing is sappy and worn out... it would have been a little more heroic if he were to protect his sister from it or at the least write to her. what he did was actually very selfish, especially to put his mother and father through pain like that... they never beat "him" up ???
his moment of lucidity was forgiveness and i dont think you need to be at your moment of death to achieve this-for you wont have to live with it. forgive and live in love-instead he took the coward way out and caused severe pain to the people who lovingly reared him with exceptional opportunities. and like lithium says, there is always a way across! ridiculous to give up so soon. it was nice and warm-he could hunt up/down the river for days if he had to-in search of a route. use a map and figure that rivers get smaller the further you go north(except the nile). also he sold out alot-with getting jobs and such-but i guess thats part of "the journey and trial"

"coming into the nearness of distance"

theis

some of you completely missed the point of the movie.

theis

The guy did what very few people have the balls to do which is figure out who he was and what made him happy. Not everyone is programmed to grind existence out 9-5, retire and then be bitter because life passed them by.

After reading many of the comments on IMDB it strikes me that there is this sneering western arrogance about life and how much of a fool you'd have to be to even try this. Not everyone's idea of heaven is a McMansion and a partnership at a law firm.

By attempting discovery through exile you are pursuing the highest calling there is - know thyself. Discovering this inner gnosis goes beyond family, society and all other self imposed systems that man has created for himself.

By focusing on whether he had a map or not really misses the entire sentiment of the movie. Sure, the guy made some mistakes and payed for it but he lived more in that year than most 9-5ers ever will.

Rather than glamorising stupidity I think it shows what much of current modern living has become - hollow, narrow minded, and self-serving. This kind of existence is way more selfish and stupid IMHO.