Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blondie

sucks for you. guess you're gonna miss out.

Fireal1222

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Apr 07, 2008, 04:02 PM
just from seeing the 21 commercial every 15 minutes and hearing kevin spacey say "and don't call me dude" i do not want to see the movie. sorry just had to put that out there.

thats funny. i felt the exact same way.

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

wither-I

So I just got done watching, "The assasination of jesse james: by the coward robert ford" and i must say it was very good. though, (and there is a "though") the narration nearly ruined it for me. it weakened the movie alot i think. it just wasnt even necessary at a few points and seemed trite and pretentious. still a good watch though. and brad pitt did a great job with producing this.

"coming into the nearness of distance"

lithium

it was too long and rather homo erotic
💩

wither-I

Quote from: lithium on Apr 09, 2008, 02:55 AM
it was too long and rather homo erotic
hahaha yeah! they tend to act pretty queer (both astranged and homo) being abase in ignorance and basically raised aloof in rural spreads of the country at that time. i thought it was very well acted tho! def too long for its own good the same. i give it a 6/10 overall

bright lights, big city

recently watched Cube 0 again. love this series....anyone know if there's another one in the works? Cube 3 perhaps??
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

wither-I

Quote from: Penicks on Apr 05, 2008, 04:18 PM
Thumbsucker

I liked it. Loved the cinematography. Wasn't made for a broad public however. I can easily imagine people finding watching paint dry more interesting than this movie.
just finished watching this. really good movie. very spirited

Shaye

Quote from: Shaye on Mar 28, 2008, 03:25 PM
I've been wanting to see that movie. And since it made you guys cry, I'm probably going to be a mess.

Just to update this...

I finally saw this movie last week. Not only did I cry, but this movie changed my life. I don't think I'm anywhere near brave enough to do what he did in the movie, but I've already started getting outside and doing more stuff within nature, just enjoying myself and learning about things.

Into the Wild was just amazing. I suggest everyone see it.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Shaye on Apr 11, 2008, 07:06 PM
Quote from: Shaye on Mar 28, 2008, 03:25 PM
I've been wanting to see that movie. And since it made you guys cry, I'm probably going to be a mess.

Just to update this...

I finally saw this movie last week. Not only did I cry, but this movie changed my life. I don't think I'm anywhere near brave enough to do what he did in the movie, but I've already started getting outside and doing more stuff within nature, just enjoying myself and learning about things.

Into the Wild was just amazing. I suggest everyone see it.

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! that's beautiful
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

Jerry_Curls

TOKYO POLICE GORE
-this movie looks like fun times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9AJaH7T094
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

White Pwny

Saw  Hitman twice.   Pretty decent, action packed movie.
hang a noose for my new sinner.... somewhere everyone can see it...

lithium

hitman is a terrible terrible film
💩

bright lights, big city

DERP

Shaye

Quote from: wither-I on Mar 31, 2008, 05:07 AM
well put... the whole daddy yells at mommy and sometime pushes her around thing is sappy and worn out... it would have been a little more heroic if he were to protect his sister from it

I'm not saying this to be an asshole or anything so please don't take it that way...

But did your Daddy ever yell at your Mommy or better yet, beat the living shit out of her when you were a child???

Please, don't think of it as "sappy" and "worn out". It happens everyday to more people than you care to imagine. Like I said, I'm not attacking you but that's the way it is. I've been through it. I can remember waking up hearing my mother screaming while she was getting bones broken by my alcoholic step-father. I remember the cops showing up...I remember it all. To someone that happens to, it's not sappy or worn out. I'm not saying anyone who hasn't been through it, should just "know" what I mean, but it's damaging. I have a problem watching any sort of extreme violence because of it.

In my opinion, this movie had very little to do with that but much more to do with what life is really all about, and that's being happy. Happiness to me is a state of mind. It's not easy to obtain and it's not easy to maintain. The most significant part of this movie is when he sets his cash on fire. He had quite a good amount saved and he let it all go. Can anyone here say they'd be comfortable doing that? I doubt it. I know I wouldn't. There's a lot I could say about this flick, but I'm so tired I don't want to start that now. The main thing is that there's so much in the world that completes the human spirit, more than money or material things ever will. It's hard for most people to recognize because for the most part, no one lives their life without factoring in money. People aren't grateful for things for long and that's just the way it is. I didn't love everything about this movie but I see it for what it was and I think it's phenomenal. I'd put it in the category of one of the best movies ever made for just that reason. This is just my opinion. it was life changing for me.

theis

well said, shaye. i completely agree.

wither-I

Quote from: Shaye on Apr 18, 2008, 06:46 AM
Quote from: wither-I on Mar 31, 2008, 05:07 AM
well put... the whole daddy yells at mommy and sometime pushes her around thing is sappy and worn out... it would have been a little more heroic if he were to protect his sister from it

I'm not saying this to be an asshole or anything so please don't take it that way...

But did your Daddy ever yell at your Mommy or better yet, beat the living shit out of her when you were a child???

Please, don't think of it as "sappy" and "worn out". It happens everyday to more people than you care to imagine. Like I said, I'm not attacking you but that's the way it is. I've been through it. I can remember waking up hearing my mother screaming while she was getting bones broken by my alcoholic step-father. I remember the cops showing up...I remember it all. To someone that happens to, it's not sappy or worn out. I'm not saying anyone who hasn't been through it, should just "know" what I mean, but it's damaging. I have a problem watching any sort of extreme violence because of it.

In my opinion, this movie had very little to do with that but much more to do with what life is really all about, and that's being happy. Happiness to me is a state of mind. It's not easy to obtain and it's not easy to maintain. The most significant part of this movie is when he sets his cash on fire. He had quite a good amount saved and he let it all go. Can anyone here say they'd be comfortable doing that? I doubt it. I know I wouldn't. There's a lot I could say about this flick, but I'm so tired I don't want to start that now. The main thing is that there's so much in the world that completes the human spirit, more than money or material things ever will. It's hard for most people to recognize because for the most part, no one lives their life without factoring in money. People aren't grateful for things for long and that's just the way it is. I didn't love everything about this movie but I see it for what it was and I think it's phenomenal. I'd put it in the category of one of the best movies ever made for just that reason. This is just my opinion. it was life changing for me.
so, i ask, would you have abandoned your mother to face it -(all of the abuse) alone? -leaving indefinitely  (both her, and if you have?/ OR could imagine having a fellow sibling) behind, AND not write to her a single solitary letter of your well-being and or whereabouts? -causing her insurmountable grief in the process?

if you answer NO to any of these three questions you "completely" missed the point of my post.

this man, OR (lack there of), -in the movie is 100% COWARD.

i am not attacking your personal misfortunes.

bless you and all.

deftonekid

I just watched "Paranoid Park" by Gus Vant Sant and "The Darjeeling Limited" by Wes Anderson. The first is a simple plot but its told genually by Van Sant. The second made my laugh a lot, a funny story about 3 brothers. Also the short movie at the beginning of it is great, Natallie Portman looks incredibly hot on it.

Shaye

Quote from: wither-I on Apr 18, 2008, 04:59 PM
so, i ask, would you have abandoned your mother to face it -(all of the abuse) alone? -leaving indefinitely  (both her, and if you have?/ OR could imagine having a fellow sibling) behind, AND not write to her a single solitary letter of your well-being and or whereabouts? -causing her insurmountable grief in the process?

if you answer NO to any of these three questions you "completely" missed the point of my post.

bless you and all.

Well I couldn't have left because I was only 6 yrs old or so at the time.

I see what you're saying but how can he be a coward doing what he did? I see how you're calling him cowardly for leaving but I think him leaving, and doing all that he did on his own as being brave. I mean the whole family went through years of their own personal suffering. His Mother is an adult and shouldn't have put up with that shit to begin with and his father is the coward for doing what he did. There are certain points in everyone's life where you have to work on yourself. I often put other's before myself and will continue to do so. But occasionally I have to put myself first, and that's not being selfish, that's keeping your own sanity. If no one did that, everyone would be severely depressed and damaged.

I'm not a parent yet, but will be someday and I think that any "good" parent does what they can for the sake of their children. Yeah his parents paid for his college and wanted to buy him a new car...so what? They weren't all that supportive emotionally and eventually I think he got to a point where after being a good student and child he figured, "if you can't do it for me, I can't do this for you anymore". He was miserable and so was his sister as far as family life was concerned.

It's a 2 way street. He got out of it and tried to do something for himself instead of trying to please his parents (which seemed impossible) and become a slave to materialism which makes no one happy.

That's what I gathered from the situation. People can only take responsibility for themselves and most people aren't very good at it. His mother could have left her husband, but she didn't. That was her decision as an adult, a wife and a mother.

I wasn't thrilled that he never wrote them or called occasionally, that was shitty. Other than that, I think what he did was pretty amazing.

wither-I

Quote from: Shaye on Apr 18, 2008, 11:32 PM
Quote from: wither-I on Apr 18, 2008, 04:59 PM

bless you and all.

"Well I couldn't have left because I was only 6 yrs old or so at the time."

1) I see what you're saying but how can he be a coward doing what he did?

2) I see how you're calling him cowardly for leaving but I think him leaving, and doing all that he did on his own as being brave.

3) His mother could have left her husband, but she didn't. That was her decision as an adult, a wife and a mother.

4) I wasn't thrilled that he never wrote them or called occasionally, that was shitty. Other than that, I think what he did was pretty amazing.
I broke this down;

1) "I see what you're saying but how can he be a coward doing what he did?"

He is a coward because he ran away. he took the ultimate escape of exclusion and exile (similar to drugging your woes away). he did NOT confront the issues and warrants at hand but rather about -face turned and left complete unresolve and misfortune in the wake of his "dissapearance". this leads me to my next point...

2) "I see how you're calling him cowardly for leaving but I think him leaving, and doing all that he did on his own as being brave."

BRAVERY, = is NOT a "self-serving" phenomenon. bravery is risking your shit "saving" or "liberating" etc etc. another from the tribulations which lay "ahead". The idea of this guy even being minutely brave is staggering to my conscience. thats just the thing which brings me back to my previous point. Him, "being brave" -as opposed (yes bravery MUST be defined by conquering oppostition of some kind) -as opposed by "the gigantic forces of an indifferent and unyeilding nature/wilderness"... OR even the social injustices of "material obsessions" and other "domestic malfeasances" - is again, ONLY BRAVE IN A "SELF-SERVING" WAY. which, as i have said before is NOT brave at all.... reverting then to only one thing "SELFISH" and/or  "COWARDICE".

3) "His mother could have left her husband, but she didn't. That was her decision as an adult, a wife and a mother."

I think you answer this one yourself by your own words.

4) "I wasn't thrilled that he never wrote them or called occasionally, that was shitty. Other than that, I think what he did was pretty amazing."

Again, what exactly did he do...?? he changed NOTHING, therefore as i see it, -all he ever fulfilled OR "conquered" in his "conquest" was "self-serving". the only true response and effect he left in the wake  of his "self"-trial and journey out of external social injustices, was indeed "grief". - notably UNTO "others"!! -seeing it this way, he is far from "heroic" or "brave" he is "shameful" and "cowardly".

hopefully my wordly accomodations will shine new light on this topic.

bless you all.