Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

one weak

See, I was feeling the same way the first time i saw it - meaning that i thought there was a possibility they could be the same person, but most likely twins.

However, this film is so fantastic that if you watch the film from the other perspective (that they are one person) it ALSO is convincing. The scene at the end - where Eli comes to see Daniel in the bowling ally - he says, "i'll fix US a drink" meaning he and Daniel right??? That's what i thought. Watch closely, Eli mixes not 2 drinks, but 3 drinks!! He then sets 2 down (as Daniel grabs a bottle for himself) and Eli proceeds to drink 2 of the 3 drinks. Was he wanting to get drunk, or was he drinking for 2????

i think the speech at the end can be taken as Daniel knowing that Eli is a psycho and he is fucking with him. He knows that he can essentially break Eli by bringing "Paul" into the equation, which he does by making him confess his false prophecy....

other scenes in the film with Eli's father are crazy too. His father, never mentions another son, nor does Eli say anything to anyone other than Daniel and HW about Paul. When he attacks his father, he only says "stupid son" but never mentions Paul by name.

I'm not trying to convince anyone, as i still believe it is open to interpretation, but just pointing out some great things about this film from my perspective.

wither-I

Dude, I have seen it exactly the same way. I don't remember the "three drinks", but I was convinced watching it, at the ending scene where he was terrorizing eli and mocking him because he was "actually insane". I thought initially, all signs pointed to yes. but i need another review...

"coming into the nearness of distance"

shine down unshy

Quote from: one weak on Apr 07, 2009, 03:56 PM
See, I was feeling the same way the first time i saw it - meaning that i thought there was a possibility they could be the same person, but most likely twins.

However, this film is so fantastic that if you watch the film from the other perspective (that they are one person) it ALSO is convincing. The scene at the end - where Eli comes to see Daniel in the bowling ally - he says, "i'll fix US a drink" meaning he and Daniel right??? That's what i thought. Watch closely, Eli mixes not 2 drinks, but 3 drinks!! He then sets 2 down (as Daniel grabs a bottle for himself) and Eli proceeds to drink 2 of the 3 drinks. Was he wanting to get drunk, or was he drinking for 2????

i think the speech at the end can be taken as Daniel knowing that Eli is a psycho and he is fucking with him. He knows that he can essentially break Eli by bringing "Paul" into the equation, which he does by making him confess his false prophecy....

other scenes in the film with Eli's father are crazy too. His father, never mentions another son, nor does Eli say anything to anyone other than Daniel and HW about Paul. When he attacks his father, he only says "stupid son" but never mentions Paul by name.

I'm not trying to convince anyone, as i still believe it is open to interpretation, but just pointing out some great things about this film from my perspective.

I remember him making 3 drinks, but never thought that he was drinking for 2.  Very interesting theory you have there.

wither-I

I'm convinced Eli and Paul are the same person on watching this a second time. that my final answer.

brilliant movie.

lithium

you fagots are making me want to go rent it, and watch it again..

💩

theis

Quote from: wither-I on Apr 07, 2009, 08:29 PM
I'm convinced Eli and Paul are the same person on watching this a second time. that my final answer.

brilliant movie.

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Apr 07, 2009, 09:17 AM
Yeah, they were definitely twins. The whole speech at the end in the bowling alley and how Eli reacts to it, wouldn't make any sense if they were the same person.

wither-I

um yeah it would. i think it is the exact reason why daniel taunts him so mockingly. and Eli'sreaction is just proof of his "inner" strifes and confusions.

from the time daniel and hw get on the quail farm and propose the deal with eli's father, eli automatically chimes in speaking of oil and bargaining right away at prices just as "paul" did when he walked into daniel planview's office asking for money in exchange of information of the land. where did paul go? yeah he could have wondered off, but why never be mentioned withi the family.

when eli jumps on his father over the kitchen table and is screaming at him calling him a stupid man for buying into plainview's prospects he's relieving himself of the guilt for initially bartering with him. the whole movie is daniel and eli getting at each other, trying to "one up" right from the begining with paul.

wither-I

so i looked it up.

and supposedly they had originally cast two different actors to play paul and eli signaling they were two different people (or brothers).
but then the director changed his mind and cut the other actor making eli and paul off the same actor paul dano in an interview with dano;

http://www.cinematical.com/2008/01/10/paul-dano-talks-blood-in-depth-answers-key-plot-questions/

more plot;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_Will_Be_Blood

even after reading of this im still speculating as to the directors switch of the actors to play it off as such, a dissociative identitiy concept.
why else would there be so much sparse, dry conflict of the characters pointing to one direction, and then another.

i think the director (paul thomas anderson) wants us to think so.

I also actually prefer if they were the same person, or intended to be (in editing of the movie/script because it makes the movie that much better. :)

one weak

Quote from: lithium on Apr 07, 2009, 09:23 PM
you fagots are making me want to go rent it, and watch it again..

dew it

lithium

i went out and got it, i'll watch it later.
💩

shine down unshy

REMEMBER THE ALAMO drafthouse

lithium

havent seen it since then man
💩

shine down unshy

You're in for a treat then, my man

goldpony

Quote from: shine down unshy on Apr 08, 2009, 06:30 PM

they screened the new star trek there a few days ago. i guess they were "playing" wrath of khan when the film "broke" and out came all the movie bigwigs (not actors)with leonard nimoy who asked the crowd if they wanted to see the new movie. You should read some of the reviews, i think some of audience literally creamed in their jeans the movie was so good (but take with a grain of salt considering these are hardcore trekkers we're talking about)
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

lithium

Quote from: goldpony on Apr 10, 2009, 07:12 PM

they screened the new star trek there a few days ago. i guess they were "playing" wrath of khan when the film "broke" and out came all the movie bigwigs (not actors)with leonard nimoy who asked the crowd if they wanted to see the new movie. You should read some of the reviews, i think some of audience literally creamed in their jeans the movie was so good (but take with a grain of salt considering these are hardcore trekkers we're talking about)
yeah i read about it, must of been pretty awesome.
💩

bright lights, big city

Went and saw I Love You Man last week. overall it was pretty good, even though this was probably one of Paul Rudd's worse roles, especially when compared to the awesome Role Models. It just seemed to drag a little at times. But Jason Segel was funny as usual.

last night saw Observe and Report. Surprisingly I thought it was more of a coming-of-age story, kind of weird, i know. But it was still pretty funny, Ray Liotta was his usual self, Anna Faris was actually good, and let's just say the last 15 minutes of the movie make it. It's another movie that has a GREAT use for the Pixies' "Where Is My Mind"....
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

one weak

i haven't seen "Role Models," but i thought Paul Rudd's best role yet was "I Love You Man"

i'll have to check out Role Models....and Observe and Report

shine down unshy

Quote from: goldpony on Apr 10, 2009, 07:12 PM

That's pretty cool man.  I wish I could've been there but I'm not a super Star Trek geek, I'm more into Star Wars.  Still, I would love to see the new Star Trek movie.

deftonekid

I watched Jules et Jim the other other day. I waited so long to watch it. It is a great movie. The story is a little fuck up but I liked it.

one weak

oh man, i love Truffaut. I really liked "Jules et Jim," but my favorite Truffaut film (and one of my top 5 of all time) is "The 400 Blows" You should check that out if you haven't seen it.