Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgentlovecraft

bright lights, big city

everybody fucking stop what you're doing and go see District 9. great great great great movie.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

defskull

I'll probably see it this weekend.  Next weekend is Inglourious Basterds and Ponyo.  There are finally some movies that look good coming to theatres.

bright lights, big city

yeah dude, you know Ponyo's gotta be good. has Miyazaki ever made just an average movie?
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

shine down unshy

Yeah I've heard good things about District 9.  I definitely wanna go check that shit out.

I heard that this was the movie Peter Jackson was working on, and it was going to be called Halo but ended up getting scrapped. 

wither-I

saw district 9 last night and it was terrific. they accomplished so many moods in the movie, brilliantly done.. not what i expected, but more!

"coming into the nearness of distance"

ben

Seeing District 9 tomorrow.

Saw I Love You Man.  I thought it was terrible.

defskull

District 9 wasn't as great as I had hoped.  It was a frustrating experience because I wanted to like it more than I did.  The direction was great and the general idea was great as well, but perhaps where the story went is where I became dissatisfied. 

SPOILERS HERE ON OUT!!!!

The first half of the movie being essentially all documentary style was a great way to introduce the back story to the audience.  When the main human character (forgot his name) got sprayed with the black alien fuel, it was obvious he was going to become an alien.  That wasn't the problem.  I enjoyed how MNU got a hold of him to experiment on and essentially kill him to harvest his body for further research.  I really thought that the main character was going to die at the point, and afterward the story would be a conflict between the humans with alien technology and the aliens revolting against the humans. What happened instead was we had a character that you were supposed to hate the first half and then all of a sudden start feeling for him because humans don't care about his life anymore?  Up until almost the very end he was being a selfish prick, knocking out Chris (the alien, was that his name?) so that he could go up to the mothership to transform back to human.  I didn't understand why I should have been rooting for him when he was still being selfish.  Only in the last 10 minutes or so did he start acting selfless, but even then it was after realizing that waiting three years was now his only option to become human again. 

There were things I did enjoy.  The disgusting initial transformations the main character start going through such as pulling off his fingernails.  The alien technology blowing people up was awesome as well.  The CGI was good regardless of the budget, and when you realize it was only made for $30 million dollars it's even more spectacular.  The directing was ridiculously good.  This world felt extremely real and not fabricated as well.  It's too bad the script wasn't better to support the directing. 

Overall decent movie, but not as great as some people seem to be making it out to be.     

theis

Quote from: ben on Aug 18, 2009, 02:03 AM

Whaaaaat, dude? Why?

shine down unshy

He's probably like Peter Klaven, never had a best friend..a touch of feminimity.  Just messin', Ben  :)

bright lights, big city

Quote from: shine down unshy on Aug 18, 2009, 08:22 AM
He's probably like Peter Klaven, never had a best friend..a touch of feminimity.  Just messin', Ben  :)
hey, it cracked me up, lol
DERP

bright lights, big city

Quote from: defskull on Aug 18, 2009, 06:09 AM
District 9 wasn't as great as I had hoped.  It was a frustrating experience because I wanted to like it more than I did.  The direction was great and the general idea was great as well, but perhaps where the story went is where I became dissatisfied. 

SPOILERS HERE ON OUT!!!!

The first half of the movie being essentially all documentary style was a great way to introduce the back story to the audience.  When the main human character (forgot his name) got sprayed with the black alien fuel, it was obvious he was going to become an alien.  That wasn't the problem.  I enjoyed how MNU got a hold of him to experiment on and essentially kill him to harvest his body for further research.  I really thought that the main character was going to die at the point, and afterward the story would be a conflict between the humans with alien technology and the aliens revolting against the humans. What happened instead was we had a character that you were supposed to hate the first half and then all of a sudden start feeling for him because humans don't care about his life anymore?  Up until almost the very end he was being a selfish prick, knocking out Chris (the alien, was that his name?) so that he could go up to the mothership to transform back to human.  I didn't understand why I should have been rooting for him when he was still being selfish.  Only in the last 10 minutes or so did he start acting selfless, but even then it was after realizing that waiting three years was now his only option to become human again. 

There were things I did enjoy.  The disgusting initial transformations the main character start going through such as pulling off his fingernails.  The alien technology blowing people up was awesome as well.  The CGI was good regardless of the budget, and when you realize it was only made for $30 million dollars it's even more spectacular.  The directing was ridiculously good.  This world felt extremely real and not fabricated as well.  It's too bad the script wasn't better to support the directing. 

Overall decent movie, but not as great as some people seem to be making it out to be.     

***POSSIBLE SPOILER ***

You are correct about the main character (Wilkus). I was able to put the minor deficiencies down BECAUSE of the directing, the acting, and effects, and just the overall story of the movie. I think that we really were supposed to feel bad for Wilkus (probably why they put the scenes in with his wife), and technically he was the main character. But I did see him as an asshole, like you did, and rooted for Chris the alien and son (which was fucking cute lol). I never really thought about Wilkus surviving or dying or caring about him, it was always the 2 main aliens.
And if they do announce a sequel for this, I am all for it.
DERP

ben

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Aug 18, 2009, 07:52 AM
Quote from: ben on Aug 18, 2009, 02:03 AM

Whaaaaat, dude? Why?

every scene seemed like it lasted 30 hours and it just wasn't my kind of humor I guess. 

also, I don't know what the conflict was at the end of the film. 

ben

defskull

What did you think of Sukiyaki Western Django? 

theis

Come on, ben. Comment on the flicks you watch :)

District 9.

Absolutely fantastic. Surprisingly touching and sad.

I loved the Aliens nod near the end. Where Wikus crawls into the armor suit/robot thingie. Oh, and the Cronenberg Fly nods were awesome too.

9/10.

bright lights, big city

yeah the fingernails were so cool
DERP

defskull

They were cool in a grimacing way.  But yeah The Fly is definitely the first thing I thought of when I saw that.

Jacob

I just watched Pan's Labyrinth for the first time. I can't believe I waited so long! it was amazing, almost had be in tears at the end. and it gave me more shivers than any horror movie has done over the last 15 years.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Jacob on Aug 22, 2009, 12:44 AM
I just watched Pan's Labyrinth for the first time. I can't believe I waited so long! it was amazing, almost had be in tears at the end. and it gave me more shivers than any horror movie has done over the last 15 years.
thats exactly how I felt when I saw it. great, great movie.
DERP