Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

defskull

Yeah good movie. My girlfriend loves it.  You should really check out The Devil's Backbone.  Pan's Labyrinth is considered the spiritual sequel to it.  They have a lot of similarities while still being significantly different.  A big recommend.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: defskull on Aug 22, 2009, 02:27 AM
Yeah good movie. My girlfriend loves it.  You should really check out The Devil's Backbone.  Pan's Labyrinth is considered the spiritual sequel to it.  They have a lot of similarities while still being significantly different.  A big recommend.

Good call!  Orphanage is great as well.

Jacob

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Aug 22, 2009, 02:34 AM
Quote from: defskull on Aug 22, 2009, 02:27 AM

Good call!  Orphanage is great as well.

cool, thanks for the recommendations.

I've decided to put some more effort into watching movies. ordinarily, I only watch a handful of movies every year and miss a lot of the big ones.

I watched District 9 last night too actually. very entertaining movie. dunno if I'd say it was actually that good, but it's certainly unique and well done.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

defskull

Yeah exactly.  When people ask if it was good I don't know how to answer.  I mean it was well made, but it just lacked something to make a truly rewarding experience.

ben

Quote from: defskull on Aug 21, 2009, 07:13 PM
What did you think of Sukiyaki Western Django? 

pretty entertaining.  Truth be told I was extremely stoned while watching, and I enjoyed it but maybe that had something to do with it.  Not very original...I mean, it's Yojimbo combined with the original Django combined with A Fistful of Dollars.  I'd give it a 7/10. 

Paprika is one of my favorite anime films.  10/10

I fell asleep during the end of Appaloosa. 5/10

Trailer Park of Terror was fucking hilarious in all the worst ways.  2/10

HAPPY, THEIS?

theis

YES!

:)

Always fun to hear someones else perspective on a movie.

theis

I Love You, Man

I'll go as far as to say this could probably end up in my top 10 favorite comedies. Rudd and Segel are two of my favorite comedy actors and the chemistry between them in this flick is just phenomenal. This is the second time I watch it and it was even better this time around. I was practically laughing non-stop.

I wanna have a friend like Sydney Fife, haha.

"Once in a while I go down to the boardwalk and throw my feces like a gorilla."

bright lights, big city

I've seen 2 movies in the last few days: Adventureland was fantastic. This was the second movie that I know of from Greg Mottola (the other being Superbad) and I think Adventureland is even better than Superbad. It's definitely not as raunchy, and there's no slapstick humor. Just great acting, a great script. and what also made it great was just that everything from the characters and the setting seemed REAL. Also for you Apatow fans, Martin Starr is in it, and is a scene-stealer.

The other one was Ridley Scott's Body of Lies. Because it had DiCaprio/Crowe and Scott at the helm I was really excited. But it just felt kind of "meh". An average movie where things come together at the end nicely, but there have better Ridley Scott films, and even better movies that kind of deal with this situation (Syriana, Traitor)
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

I'll agree with you on Body of Lies. Good movie, but it felt like something you'd seen many times before.

I can't wait to check out Adventureland. Looks great. Is Kristin Stewart a cutie as usual?

bright lights, big city

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Aug 25, 2009, 09:15 PM
I can't wait to check out Adventureland. Looks great. Is Kristin Stewart a cutie as usual?
oh good god yes she is
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Jerry_Curls

Just finished watching Fierce People...great movie. I love anything with Diane Lane in it and I think I love anything with Anton Yelchin as well. He is such a great actor and I think he will be one of the top if he continues this way.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

TheWatcher

GAMER!
good movie
it had everything... guns, shit blowing up, women, alots of TNA, good storyline

Jacob

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Aug 25, 2009, 08:51 PM
I Love You, Man

I'll go as far as to say this could probably end up in my top 10 favorite comedies. Rudd and Segel are two of my favorite comedy actors and the chemistry between them in this flick is just phenomenal. This is the second time I watch it and it was even better this time around. I was practically laughing non-stop.

I watched it last weekend and I loved it. not only because Rashida Jones is friggin hot, but because I love Paul Rudd and Jason Segel too. there were so many awkward cringeworthy moments, which I usually loathe in comedies, but like you said, their chemistry (and good acting all around) made it work. I told my brother about it and he said he started watching it but turned it off after half an hour or something because he hated it so much.

nonesuch

adventureland was lame as shit,  not an interesting scene in the whole damn film

district 9 is freakin awesome,  although i have about a million unanswered questions,  like first of all,  how exactly do the aliens understand english and the people understand the beeps and squawks of the aliens?  and where do all these alien weapons keep coming from if they were immediately put in the internment camp?  and why dont they just use them instead of trade them for cat food?  cool movie, but LOTS of holes in the logic
i drink your milkshake

theis

Quote from: Jacob on Sep 05, 2009, 10:17 AM
I watched it last weekend and I loved it. not only because Rashida Jones is friggin hot, but because I love Paul Rudd and Jason Segel too. there were so many awkward cringeworthy moments, which I usually loathe in comedies, but like you said, their chemistry (and good acting all around) made it work. I told my brother about it and he said he started watching it but turned it off after half an hour or something because he hated it so much.

Sweet! Glad you liked it. And yeah, Rashida Jones is unbelieveable. Such a cutie. Her friend, Hayley, was pretty yummy too in a quirky way.

Quote from: nonesuch on Sep 05, 2009, 10:32 AM
adventureland was lame as shit,  not an interesting scene in the whole damn film

district 9 is freakin awesome,  although i have about a million unanswered questions,  like first of all,  how exactly do the aliens understand english and the people understand the beeps and squawks of the aliens?  and where do all these alien weapons keep coming from if they were immediately put in the internment camp?  and why dont they just use them instead of trade them for cat food?  cool movie, but LOTS of holes in the logic

Weird, I've heard nothing but good things about Adventureland.

As for District 9; The aliens have been here for 28 years, so I'd say that that's more than enough time to learn each others' languages.

In what way do you mean "why dont they just use them"? As in, shoot the humans? The Aliens aren't evil. If they started shooting down people it would cause a massive war between them and the humans. The Aliens just want peace and quit. And cat food. :D

devilinside

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Aug 25, 2009, 08:51 PM
I Love You, Man

I watched that movie last night...HAHA! When he chugged the beer then barfed...OMG!

Jacob

haha, yeah that was probably the most hilarious moment in the entire movie. that and every time Rudd and Segel said goodbye to each other, with all the nicknames and stuff.

I just watched Sunshine. it started out pretty cool but then it got kinda weird and boring. most of it was very nicely done though.

lostpilot

Dazed and Confused was not even close to being as good as I expected it to be. If I watched it when I was fifteen - yeah, that movie would've rocked. not now

The Big Lebowski rocked, I laughed at a lot.

District 9 was basically interesting, yet the ending was quite disappointing, I'm not even sure why.

Angels and Demons was shitty.

Jacob

blasphemy, dazed & confused is fucking awesome and you know it.

lostpilot

no seriously, I  felt there was nothing BEHIND  the movie.