Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chick de la lynch

I don't watch too many films from the UK, so I'm not acquainted with the accents. If I watch more, I think it would be easier to get into them.

I saw On The Edge last night -- yes, another Cillian Murphy film. I enjoyed it, but I wish that it was a little bit longer. I really cared for the characters and wanted to know more about them.

chick de la lynch

I saw a few more films in the past couple of days.

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men - I'm not familiar with David Foster Wallace and only know about him because my brother read a few books by him. However, I do understand his writing is very complex and has multiple layers to it. I think this film was headed toward that direction, but couldn't really be that complex. I think John Krasinski was a little too ambitious for his directorial debut, but I thought it did show promise if he ever wants to continue directing films. John Krasinski, Max Manghella and Christopher Meloni were the standouts of the film. Too bad each of them had ten minutes of screen time.

Lila Says - I can't say I was fond of this film, however I was happy that Chimo and Lila never had sex. I think it would have made the film less watchable. These characters are interesting, yet we know very little about it. It also goes to show that a woman can be open about sex yet not be promiscuous all at the same time.

Downloading Nancy - I think "garbage" is a good word for this film. I didn't have a problem with the subject matter as much as I had a problem with the characters. They're not even likable people! All I saw them as were demented, pathetic people. No matter how fucked up a character is, you shouldn't really hate them. I hated these people. That, and I think it really tried to be artsy fartsy and deranged all at the same time. I think this film should have stuck with one of those, rather than both. It was just a hot mess.

ben

The Lower Depths- great
Ran- great

chick de la lynch

I saw a few more films over the weekend, but what else is new?

Sex is Comedy - I have seen Catherine Breillat's films in the past, and the one thing that bothers me about her films is when she tries to write dialogue that everyday people just don't talk about. Unless France has an unusual amount of intellectuals, I'm not buying it. Her films are better when she keeps it simple and doesn't try to psychoanalyze everything. At least when Woody Allen does it, it's funny (For the most part). Overall, I think this is one of her lighter films and it's refreshing to see a film about the other side of the camera.

We Don't Live Here Anymore - I really didn't care for the storyline. It was predictable and I got bored with it. However, you had four strong actors playing these roles, which was interesting. The writer lucked out on this one with having a great cast. Otherwise, this film would have been up shit creek.

rock_n_frost

i just wanted to waste my time with a ordinary stupid movie
i watched ''(500) Days of Summer''

when it comes to the ''expectation - realty'' part, god it was awesome
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

shine down unshy

Watched "The Road" today.  Very well directed. I was genuinely entertained from beginning to end.  Highly recommended for those of you who enjoy a satisfying film.

E-Money

Has anyone seen the Hurt Locker?  That shit took home madd awards tonight!

theis

Quote from: stapezee on Mar 08, 2010, 06:17 AM

Yup. Great, great movie.

I personally think Inglourious Basterds should've won, but The Hurt Locker definitely deserved it too.

I'm just glad that Avatar didn't win Best Director or Best Picture.

chick de la lynch

Kathryn Bigelow, anyone? I cried when she got the award. It's amazing knowing a woman has FINALLY won for Best Director.

defskull

Well maybe if a women before this year had done a directing job worthy of earning the award it would have happened sooner. 

chick de la lynch

Uh, Sofia Coppola for Lost In Translation? I thought she was pretty damn worthy of an Academy Award for Best Director. And it's woman.

So I saw a couple of films recently. I was really shocked to see Anti-Christ as an instant play on my Netflix queue so I opted to see it. To be honest, it's still sinking in. I can understand why a lot of people considered this film misogynist but I don't agree. To be honest, I still don't really know what happened in the film. It's a lot to absorb in one sitting and I would probably have to watch it again to really get the film. The ending gets creepy/gross. I spent a good chunk of the film covering my eyes, which I haven't done too much in the past seven years or so.

New York, I Love You was meh. Paris, Je T'aime had a lot of character to it and I thought was well written. New York... not so much. I think they tried to make something visually interesting, which it was. It was just a bummer that they couldn't make some of the plots just as interesting.

E-Money

Quote from: theis on Mar 08, 2010, 11:48 AM
Quote from: stapezee on Mar 08, 2010, 06:17 AM

Yup. Great, great movie.

I personally think Inglourious Basterds should've won, but The Hurt Locker definitely deserved it too.

I'm just glad that Avatar didn't win Best Director or Best Picture.

Inglouriious Bastards was great.  I saw Crazy Hearth the other night and Jeff Bridges was absolutely fantastic. 

theis

Nice. Can't wait to see Crazy Heart.

bright lights, big city

for once, I was completely satisfied with the Oscar results, well Sandra Bullock as the best actress can eat my ass but whatever. Glad the Dude finally won, and everything that deserved to win, won.

and I saw Up In the Air last night. It was very good, deserving of its nomination, but by no means the best of 2009. as far as romantic-comedies go this has to be one of the best I've seen. Clooney was awesome, and fucking Danny McBride was in it! FUCK YES! oh yeah and Zach Galifianakis too.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

blixa

i watched a few films so here it goes.

how harry became a tree was weird as shit. oh my gosh, colm meaney just sits so endearingly in my chest. i thought the character of eileen was a bit of an idiot. if you're being seduced and you love your husband, you push that man away. kick him in the balls! especially if your husband is a very shy, young cillian murphy. hello!!!

broken flowers was vintage jarmusch and murray. it was an awesome road trip movie. i couldn't wait to see what his next stop was going to be. it was so hilarious and always unpredictable. the ending really got me, completely.

ten empty was an exhausting film. it took so much from me emotionally and gave me nothing back. it was just so very intense and i felt heavily empty. kind of like when you let something/someone take it all from you and the emptiness that is left in you is just a presence of an unexplainable heaviness. i have never seen a movie with such brilliant acting though. completely australiana.

Quote from: theis on Mar 10, 2010, 12:15 PM
Nice. Can't wait to see Crazy Heart.

great music. the movie was mehh. i still liked it a lot though because hell, i'm biased. it's about a music genre i love.

E-Money

I saw Up in the Air last night for the first time.  I really enjoyed it. 

nonesuch

Quote from: shine down unshy on Mar 08, 2010, 04:27 AM
those of you who enjoy a satisfying film.

i hate satisfying films
i drink your milkshake

Jacob

watched 500 Days of Summer last night and I was very pleasantly surprised. I was expecting yet another half-assed romantic comedy, but it was actually pretty unconventional and depressing.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

blixa

Quote from: Jacob on Mar 15, 2010, 12:05 PM
watched 500 Days of Summer last night and I was very pleasantly surprised. I was expecting yet another half-assed romantic comedy, but it was actually pretty unconventional and depressing.

and that is unlike every other romantic comedy how?

hahahha

theis

500 Days of Summer is a fantastic flick.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt has quickly become one of my favorite actors.