Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: theis on Mar 15, 2010, 12:48 PM
500 Days of Summer is a fantastic flick.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt has quickly become one of my favorite actors.

yeah, he is really good. I loved him in Mysterious Skin.

and Zooey Deschanel was as pretty as ever. I'm always as pleasant when she gets to sing in a movie too :)
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

chick de la lynch

I watched Combien tu M'aimes? last week. Absurd is the only way I could describe this film. The movie was off but you could revel in the fact that it was off. Overall, it was good. Not great.

chick de la lynch

I've been on a bit of a film spree the past few days. This is what happens when I have nothing to do during the day.

The Ugly Truth - I don't know why I watched this movie. It's seriously a question I have been asking myself since last night, and I have yet to find an answer. It's your typical romantic/sex comedy. Everything was predictable and nothing about the film was new or fresh -- I'm not surprised or shocked by that, but it would be nice if these romantic comedies could at least get a different formula.

The Story of O - This film was probably worse than The Ugly Truth and that's saying a lot! If anything, this film was degrading. I understand that there are women out there (and men) who are very much into sadomasochism, but the way it's portrayed in this movie is appalling. I know it's based off a novel, and maybe I missed the whole point of the film. Or maybe the book. But I know for a fact that this film was complete misogyny.

En la Cama - I was surprised how much I enjoyed this film. It is such a simple yet complex plot. I think a lot of people could relate to this film and how interesting and awkward a one-night stand can be. The actors were interesting to watch, the dialogue between these two characters was intriguing. The way these two people interact, you forget that they have known each other about as long as the viewer has known the characters. It's worth the watch.

Water Lilies - Netflix recommended this film to me, yet I did not like it too much. Your typical coming of age story with lesbian overtones. I think this film could have gone to more interesting places.

In The Realm of the Senses -  I had no idea this film was based on a real crime committed in Japan until the end of the film (Which was something I was not prepared to see!) Overall, I felt that the film had a flow to it. Usually unsimulated sex in a film can either enhance it or just spell out disaster. Now knowing the back story to this crime, I felt that it was necessary to have unsimulated sex in it. In fact, it felt organic when it happened, not forced. And there was a plot! I think The Story of O could have borrowed a thing or two from this film and how to shoot s and m in a tasteful way.

blixa

i watched paris je t'aime tonight because it was on telly. it was rather good. not great or anything but good. i liked how abruptly each story ended. sometimes you don't want to know what happens.

next week not quite hollywood is going to be on. can't wait for it!

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Mar 20, 2010, 06:28 AM

The Story of O - This film was probably worse than The Ugly Truth and that's saying a lot! If anything, this film was degrading. I understand that there are women out there (and men) who are very much into sadomasochism, but the way it's portrayed in this movie is appalling. I know it's based off a novel, and maybe I missed the whole point of the film. Or maybe the book. But I know for a fact that this film was complete misogyny.

the book is so much worse. it makes you so mad hahahaha but that is what it was supposed to do. there's certain things in the book that are absolutely shocking.

chick de la lynch

Glad I'm not the only one. I watched a few more films this weekend.

Best in Show - My first Christopher Guest film. I probably should have started out with This is Spinal Tap but here we are! I must say I didn't "laugh out loud" when watching this movie, but I did find it funny. And I'm a sucker for dogs. Overall I felt that the film was good. I will have to check out Spinal Tap.

Taxi Driver -  I can finally say I have seen this film! It wasn't what I expected, but that's a good thing. The things I had heard about this film being ultra violent made me hesitant to watch this, but the real violence doesn't start until the last twenty minutes of the film. I thought it was beautifully shot (Yes, it was beautiful!) and Robert de Niro's performance was effortless. He made acting look really easy in this film just by having a certain expression on his face or a raise of an eyebrow, however he scared the living shit out of me during the second part of the film. I never knew he was a handsome man until I saw this film. I'm just acquainted with the older version of Robert de Niro -- shows just how young I am.

Remember Me - blah, blah, blah say what you will, but I actually enjoyed watching this film. Emilie de Ravin and Robert Pattinson had good chemistry and the plot overall was watchable. I still don't know if Pattinson choosing this Edward Cullen role was a good thing or a bad thing. It does put him on the map, but his acting talent is overpowered by this Twilight craze that has invaded every woman between the ages of 14-25. Maybe it'll pay off in the end...

blixa

i just watched the dish and it was cinematic greatness. the australian humour was spot on and not over done. i loved every second.

4th Eye

Watched two of Tommy Wirkola's movies recently and enjoyed both of them very much.

Kill Buljo, a parody obviously, is as bad as it's funny. The acting, the dialogue and every "professional aspect" were terrible but that fact probably added the funniness. Definite laughter-fest!

Dead Snow is probably the best zombie flick I've seen in a while. The base story (group of young people in a cabin gets attacked by zombies) is done zillion times and it's filled with cliches but this movie was entertaining, bit scary, funny and somehow new and fresh.

bright lights, big city

lol, i seriously just saw Dead Snow this weekend, my buddy went on a spending spree of nazi zombie flicks, and we had a triple feature of Dead Snow, Outpost, and Shock Waves.

all 3 were ridiculous. all 3 ridiculously entertaining. but goddamn, Dead Snow took the cake, that movie was so good.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

one weak

really liked Dead Snow too.

blixa

i watched nick and norah's infinite playlist and it was shithouse. i kept yelling at the tv. STOP TRYING SO FUCKING HARD TO BE INDIE. JUST FUCKING STOP IT.

then devendra banhart shows up and that pretty much made me want to throw something at the television. shit film. and i love devendra banhart!

people should just go out and watch funny ha ha instead.

E-Money

Just got done watching Juno for like the 20th time.  Its become one of my favorite films...

endoeleven

Last Movie You Watched.

RoyalDeftonicBoy

The Rock (1996)

Very underrated movie

blixa

had a kick of a time watching mad max. brilliant.

lostpilot

Shutter Island was super awesome, loved every minute of it.
The Road was quite good, intense, yet there was something missing. But it was a great movie anyway.
Angel's Egg was surely a mindfuck.

theis

Watched Lost Highway again last night. Love this flick so much. It feels like watching a living nightmare. I get something new out of it every time I watch it.

theis

blixa

Quote from: lostpilot on Mar 29, 2010, 10:45 AM
Shutter Island was super awesome, loved every minute of it.
The Road was quite good, intense, yet there was something missing. But it was a great movie anyway.
Angel's Egg was surely a mindfuck.

i think i need to watch the road again because i cried from the beginning til the end. the book just kept racing through my head.

lostpilot

I have never read the book. but found the movie really nice anyway.

[spoiler]I wanted the movie to end when they found the hatch - but I clearly knew a thing this good could never be sustained, so things started getting worse and worse.[/spoiler]

blixa

the book left me in an emotional ruin. i read it on public transport too so i had to pretend that i was having allergies everytime i started crying on the train. it got ridiculous after a while because i found that the same people that had seen me cry the day before were the same people that were seeing me cry again the next day.

there were a lot of unexplained events in the movie such as the ending, which i knew was going to happen, and a few other tihngs. it was beautiful as hell though. john hillcoat is a talented man.

nick cave is...like the second coming.