Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Law

sing blue silver

Quote from: Law on May 04, 2010, 01:40 PM
Quote from: blixa on May 04, 2010, 01:09 PM
i must be the only person who has absolutely no interest in woody allen's movies. except for the one that had judy davis in it, but even then my reason for liking it is biased...

Me too, not too bothered about them to be honest.

Time to dig out Futurama movies tonight.

woody allen is terrible. futurama however, is absolute comic genius. hopefully the new episodes will live up to my love of all the old ones. one of my all time most watched shows.

theis

"Woody Allen is terrible" - have you even seen any of his movies?

Anyways, blixa, I'd be surprised if you wouldn't like Annie Hall or Manhattan. Both of those are great.

wheresmysnare

taking of pelham 123 - it was ok, sorry for shit review, but seriously that's all i'd say.

Penicks

God damn it I love Woody Allen. Even his recent work like Match Point, Scoop and Vicky Cristina Barcelona is great. The man has some great scripts.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: sing blue silver on May 04, 2010, 03:22 PM
woody allen is terrible.
sorry, but just saying that and only that gets my vote for dumbest comment of the year.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

chick de la lynch

Quote from: blixa on May 04, 2010, 01:09 PM
i must be the only person who has absolutely no interest in woody allen's movies. except for the one that had judy davis in it, but even then my reason for liking it is biased...

Haha, oh I sooooo get it.  ;)

Woody Allen's films suit a certain type of personality, so yes I do get not everyone is going to like them and that's okay. But to compare Woody Allen to Futurama is comparing two different types of comedy (Not saying that Futurama isn't funny because it is), but there is a huge difference between the two.

blixa

Quote from: theis on May 04, 2010, 03:53 PM
"Woody Allen is terrible" - have you even seen any of his movies?

Anyways, blixa, I'd be surprised if you wouldn't like Annie Hall or Manhattan. Both of those are great.

i liked annie hall. i related. i use coalface soap. a lot of people commonly agree that annie hall is one of allen's finest moments but i feel like there is a lack of discussion on what makes this film great. i've really just felt unsatisfied after watching his films.

plus i dislike scarlett johansson intensely so there is no way i'm sitting through another film with her in it. ghost world is all i can stand her in.

chick de la lynch

I thought you were somewhat okay with her in Girl with a Pearl Earring?

blixa

oh yeah, that too. i think it was because it wasn't another movie where her looks got overly exploited. a lot of the time i feel like she's there because of her looks and i don't like that i think about it like that but i can't help it. she's not particularly spectacular as an actress.

and i only watched that film because of cillian murphy:

sing blue silver

A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010) - 2.5/10. i enjoyed the friday the 13th reboot but this was just... bad.

Hulk Vs. Thor - 6.8/10 i always enjoy these animated comic book flicks since i'm such a comic nerd in the first place. not the best one every but certainly not the worst. naturally the Hulk Vs. Wolverine was more entertaining of the two but either one is good to put on once in a while if you enjoy comic books or just plain indulging in some easy to watch, kid friendly, animated action film.

chick de la lynch

I would have to agree with you on that one. I think the past five years the roles she has picked are purely based on the fact that she's pretty. I wouldn't mind if the roles she actually picked out were good, but they're not. It just seems like these days she just doesn't even try to act anymore--she's coasting at this point.

blixa

i think that's why i don't particularly like conventionally beautiful actresses. i know they can't help looking pretty but you just know that it will be something that movie critics and movie goers will keep talking about. you have actors like sarah polley, parker posey, and emily watson who are remarkable actresses. i've never felt like the way they look has been stronger than their acting and they've picked roles in which they got to show their acting skills as opposed to just being something pretty to look at.

samantha morton as well. she's incredibly beautiful but when i'm watching her movies i'm not thinking that. liv tyler has the same problem as scarlett. i think they should start picking better roles. although i heard that she might play courtney love in a kurt cobain biopic. that is just so far off court but if it happens lets see what she'll do with it. i did like her album. i know, shocking!

blixa

i re-watched tarnation today. the part where he imagines what his father would say to him if he knew that he existed is heartbreaking. the cliches fall away and it feels like i'm hearing it for the first time.

Jacob

Watchmen - 6/10: enjoyable movie with some really cool characters and scenes. but it dragged on for too long and the story was a bit all over the place. it would've been fine if they gave the movie a more epic feel, but it never got much further than personal drama between the main characters. and I will always consider super hero movies a tad bit too silly, even those that try to be different.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

bright lights, big city

man I loved the Watchmen movie. maybe even more so than the Iron Man series.

speaking of which... Iron Man 2 - 8.5/10 - about on par with the first one, except where it lacks being a character-driven story like IM1, it actually makes up for in its action and cool Marvel-ness
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

epistaxis

The Usual Suspects 8/10
Really enjoyable although the way it went it's one of those movies with a 'seen it once, seen them all 'plot twist.

Penicks

Moon

Amazing. Everything a good scifi movie should be and more. It your heart out, you drug induced piece of shit 2001.

never

I  just watched Exit Through The Gift Shop. It is a documentary about street artists ... maybe. There is some question about whether the entire thing is a hoax or not, either way it's hilarious. Definitely the best movie I've seen so far this year.

RoyalDeftonicBoy