Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoyalDeftonicBoy

I saw The Wolfman (2010) I really dont know why people hated this film so much,I tought it was fucking awesome ! Maybe lack of story and characters development?I dont know but I think it was awesome.If you dont see any hate on this movie you should go to imdb.com and see that its rating is 6 which is fucking bullshit !

chick de la lynch

I saw a shitload of films this weekend.

I saw Harold and Maude, and I must say I was rather disappointed. It didn't really keep my attention as far as plot goes. It's a shame, too because I am really into quirky films. Harold and Maude were interesting characters to watch, I just wish the film had been better written.

I also watched Following, which was Christopher Nolan's film debut. For the film being shot on a very low budget, it was pretty well made. Nolan had an interesting idea and ran with it, which was great. I think if this film had more money behind it and experienced actors, this film would have been amazing.

Barry Lyndon was the next film I saw. Not one of Stanley Kubrick's best, but it kept my interest going up to the end. There was really nothing memorable about the film, at least compared with other Kubrick films. When it comes to period pieces, it's a hit or miss with me and this one was a miss.

Next, I saw Dirty Harry which was a great action film. Clint Eastwood can be rather frightening at times, but he can also be amusing with his asshole-ish demeanor. I enjoyed watching it.

The next day I saw Hour of the Wolf. I found it weird rather than scary. Not one of my favorites by Bergman, but that doesn't mean it wasn't  good. The ending was when it really started getting interesting. Overall, I liked it.

I saw Tadpole after that. I like smart films, but this one was trying way too hard. A part of me thinks that that was the whole point, a satirical point of view from the rich and wealthy and another part thinks this guy was really trying to make a snobbish film. Either way, the film just rubbed me the wrong way. I thought the actor who played Oscar was charismatic, but his precociousness was just too overwhelming and dragged the movie down a bit.

The last film I saw was The Shining. Jack Nicholson scared the living hell out of me, and it was awesome. I could have done without Shelley Duvall. That was probably one of the worst acting performances I have ever seen, but I'm sympathetic towards her since I read Kubrick rode her pretty hard. Otherwise, I loved this film, and would be one of my favorite Kubrick films.

bright lights, big city

A Clockwork Orange completely blows The Shining away, as far as Kubrick films go. It is a great movie, don't get me wrong, but these days I get more amusement out of the Simpsons spoof of the Shining than the actual source material.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

one weak

damn, i think the shining is his best. the book, pretty good.

ben

That's a pretty good weekend of movies, Chick.

I really like Kubrick films, but sometimes the absence of a heart kinda wears on me.  All of his films are expertly crafted and make you think, but I wish he had sometimes instilled his characters with an emotional dimension.

one weak

ben

chick de la lynch

Quote from: ben on Jan 03, 2011, 05:13 PM
That's a pretty good weekend of movies, Chick.

I really like Kubrick films, but sometimes the absence of a heart kinda wears on me.  All of his films are expertly crafted and make you think, but I wish he had sometimes instilled his characters with an emotional dimension.

You hit the nail on the head. He was great at what he did, but he had a tendency to over think his work. I think it was Stephen King who said that he thinks a lot but feels too little. Of course he was referring to The Shining when he said that. It sounds harsh but there is definitely truth behind the statement.

blixa

i watched to kill a mockingbird this morning. the court case scene make me cry all the time. HE NEVER GOT A CHANCE!

one weak

you guys are crazy about kubrick, haha.

watched to catch and thief again. awesome, not my favorite hitchcock by any means, but still good.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: blixa on Jan 07, 2011, 05:18 AM
i watched to kill a mockingbird this morning. the court case scene make me cry all the time. HE NEVER GOT A CHANCE!
i loooooove that movie. and i seriously just got it for my dad for christmas. it's actually his favorite movie of all time.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

lukas989

Skipped along to watch Mammoth tonight - a good watch, and features Michelle Williams, fast becoming a staple of a good movie.  Has left Dawsons Crack well behind her thankfully - also check out Wendy and Lucy, directed by Kelly Reichardt, who also did Old Joy (mentioned cos its also, you know, good), which featured the same dog (her dog) as in Wendy and Lucy.  Link-tastic.

blixa

michelle williams has been taking on exceptional film roles. she was also awesome on dawson's creek. it was a good show.

have you seen blue valentine yet?

lukas989

Not yet - its on in the Glasgow Film Theatre (herein referred to as GFT) towards the end of the month.  Shall be skipping along to that fer sure.

Hidalgo

just started on the HBO series "six feet under". it's really cool, i've only seen the first 3 episodes so far. i'm gonna watch all 5 seasons, in order obviously. should hold me over until dexter season 6 begins

lukas989

Excellent choice - six feet under remains my all time favourite show.  Im kinda envious of you watching it for the first time - its the sort of show that will have you investigating the work of pretty much all the characters in it...still waiting for something with a lead performance from Lauren Ambrose - shes killer.

bright lights, big city

good choice with six feet under. was definitely one of the best shows out there.

Quote from: blixa on Jan 09, 2011, 01:24 PM
she was also awesome on dawson's creek. it was a good show.
DERP

Hidalgo

yes i'm lovin the show. it's all new to me. not quite as good as dexter, but what is. it's the next best thing. really cool show

one weak