Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukas989

Yup - Red Riding is forthcoming....bumped it up my Lovefilm list - originally its on there cos I found out ol' Paddy Considines in it - but hey plenty of room for more fine actors.  By the by - I dont work for Lovefilm or anything, I just love that I never again will I buy a dvd or a blu ray.  Saving myself at least 5 quid a month.  Speaking of which, I was in HMV today, just cos well my missus was trying stuff on and anything to avoid standing alone staring in a womens clothes store.  Most of the gosh darn cds at 15-17 quid in there....no wonder the foo's are going down the toilet.

blixa

ohhhhhh, paddy is so good. i don't think there's anything he can't do. he's in the 1980 episode. maxine peake is in it too. she's so underrated as an actress. the trilogy also introduced me to david morrissey, who is a bit of a bad arse.

we have jb hi-fi here and it's a godsend. i love that place so much. good prices too.

chick de la lynch

I watched a couple films this weekend.

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes - I think this film came out just as Marilyn Monroe's career was taking off. Even though Monroe is known for her "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" routine, it's Jane Russell (R.I.P) who really steals the show. This is my second Howard Hawks' film and once again you see a very intelligent, sexy, feisty, independent woman dominate the screen. If Hawks was able to do this before women could be witty and independent, then why aren't many films, especially romantic comedies, doing it now? It's depressing. Anyway, this film was hilarious and Jane Russell pwned in this movie.

M - Yeah, this film was utterly depressing. What film isn't when it comes to dealing with pedophilia though? It was beautifully made and Peter Lorre was perfect playing this creepy murderer. I think this film also brings up the idea of vigilantism. In film and television it's an interesting thing to see, but it's not realistic. No one wins when there is vigilantism. I loved the ending. It was so haunting and yet those final words brought about so much truth.

blixa

i love movies about pedophiles. i'm going to check it out. thanks, heaven.

lukas989

In that case you should also check out L.I.E. with Brian Cox if you havent already.  Its really good - Paul Dano is in it too, and is equally strong.  Basically the tale of a consensual relationship they have - consequences being that Cox also has another relationship with a young un - cue jealousy and all the usual complications.  Kevin Bacon did one as well didnt he?  I havent seen it, but I heard good things...it was told from his perspective, sympathising with his inability to contain his urges, which inevitably meant it tanked big time...but yeah supposed to be good.

blixa

bacon did do one. it was called the woodsman. i watched it and i thought it was actually quite beautiful. mos def is also disgustingly awesome in it hahaha he constantly taunts bacon's character.

chick de la lynch

L.I.E. is creepier than all hell thanks to the awesome Brian Cox. It's a great watch. It's more subtle when it comes to Cox's character's intentions, much like M. It's never explicitly stated, but rather implied that these men have a thing for children.

blixa

i just realised that i've already seen M. my friend morgan lent it to me two years ago. the courtroom scene is one that i will never forget.

chick de la lynch

The last fifteen minutes of the film is so poignant, yet hard to watch. I was on the fence during that scene.

blixa

wasted on the young

it was very crap in the way that it was terribly told. everyone walked around like they were in a my chemical romance video. they just kept taking themselves so seriously. i know high school is hard, but damn! the plot kept drifting off and every time something random happened i kept thinking, "i'm sure that will be relevant soon". no, no relevance. it goes nowhere. there were a lot of pointless scenes. the ending was a huge sack of implausible bullshit.

it was visually stunning though and the acting was very good but i swear...it was so tiring.

chick de la lynch

This week I watched Iron Man 2. Not as great as the original. This one seemed like it stuck more to the script, which is lame because the improvisation used in the original is what really gave the movie its charm. The action sequences were better this time around, however I wanted the film to be one complete sausage fest. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the females really brought down the film. Gwenyth Paltrow was completely awkward and couldn't act for the life of her, while Scarlett Johansson was robotic and couldn't act for the life of her. If Pepper Potts and Natasha Romanoff weren't in the film at all, it would have been 10x better. I'm pretty sure that would have pissed off a lot of comic book fans, but they really needed to go.

I also saw Grand Illusion. The beginning was slow at first, but the second half seemed to be a lot more interesting. And of course, beautifully shot, especially the ending. I wasn't expecting this film to be funny at all. Doesn't seem like a story that would make you laugh. The chemistry between all the actors in this film was spot on, too. The only thing I would have changed would have been the pacing of the film. Otherwise, it was perfect.

I just finished watching Toy Story 2. I only cried once, which is my best to date when watching a Pixar film. I have to say I liked this one better than the original. I think the sequel had more charm, more heart and some really interesting new characters. One day I'll make it through a Pixar film without bawling like a baby. Oh, and the ending credits were kind of dirty, which is always a funny surprise when watching a kid's film.

Sinatra

blixa

i've been on a bbc adaptation bender. i've watched north and south, which was bloody fantastic! it started out a bit slow but i stuck to it and boy, it was just marvelous. best proposal scene ever. EVER! i then watched lost in austen, which i thought was just deliciously entertaining. it's like they tapped into my dreams. so witty and really funny. after that i watched the 2008 adaptation of sense and sensibility. it was very well done. nothing much like ang lee's version. i was keen to watch it after i found out andrew davies had written the screenplay. he wrote the brilliant pride and prejudice adapation. david morrissey was quite the babe in it.

blixa

i watched bloodline this morning. i'd never been much of a hepburn admirer because i had never watched many of her films in the past but i feel like now i appreciate her. i've watched a few these past months because the abc has been playing her movies most days. she's one of those people you immediately take to.

bloodline was a great whodunit? type of film. seriously didn't know who was behind all of it til the end. i had my money on gazzara's character being responsible for all of it. it had me on my toes. it was also kind of raunchy, which i liked because it wasn't a 'look we're gonna put this naked woman in here for nothing' raunchy. it was tasteful. even though a whole bunch of women got strangled while having sex.

lukas989

I saw this a while ago, but forgot to mention it...The Killer in Me with Casey Affleck.  What a load of shit.

chick de la lynch

Quote from: lukas989 on Mar 25, 2011, 12:56 PM
I saw this a while ago, but forgot to mention it...The Killer in Me with Casey Affleck.  What a load of shit.

Blarg! It's next on my Netflix queue. I have heard it's shit, but I want to see it for myself. I must be a glutton for punishment, but I might like it. Casey has always been my favorite Affleck.

lukas989

Darn lol - but yeah I was looking forward to it...I too am a fan of Case...but yeah....hmph.

blixa

watched the rite last night. hopkins seriously just owns evil. i'm pretty sure he even played hitler once in the 80's. he's so good at it. he's drily funny with these souless glassy eyes with the sharp bouts of violence. the demonic possessions were beautifully directed. the plot took forever for anything interesting to happen, the script was full of really bad dialogue, and the side characters were very bland. the lead is not a bad actor but he just looked like an emo ken doll most of the time. he plays a mortician and decides, OH HAY, MY JOB ISN'T CREEPY ENOUGH. I'M GOING TO BECOME AN EXORCIST! YAY!

theis

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Mar 25, 2011, 03:44 PM
Quote from: lukas989 on Mar 25, 2011, 12:56 PM

Blarg! It's next on my Netflix queue. I have heard it's shit, but I want to see it for myself. I must be a glutton for punishment, but I might like it. Casey has always been my favorite Affleck.

Don't listen to him. It's a great movie.

bright lights, big city

Well it's gotta be better than Sucker Punch. It's the ultimate mindless action movie that isn't done by Michael Bay.

Yet still pretty bad. Why couldn't Snyder at least give us Emily Browning's bewbs? That likely would've been worth my $10.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?