Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chick de la lynch

Boobs suck. Then again I hate my boobs, so I'm just providing a biased opinion.

I just finished watching Scenes From a Marriage, and I'm disappointed because I just found out I watched the edited version. Then again, I don't know if I'd really want to sit through a five hour film, especially that one. Three hours was enough. Despite it's story content, I actually thought this film was rather sexy. The relationship between Johan and Marianne is so passionate. There is definitely a fine line between love and hate with this couple, and it's true in Ingmar Bergman's fucked up sense of love. Scratch that. It's not fucked up. Love is that complicated and fucked up. It's probably an accurate portrayal in someone's marriage. If anything, this film made me NOT want to get married even more. Seems like a real bitch.

lukas989

Quote from: theis on Mar 26, 2011, 02:03 AM
Quote from: chick de la lynch on Mar 25, 2011, 03:44 PM
Quote from: lukas989 on Mar 25, 2011, 12:56 PM
I saw this a while ago, but forgot to mention it...The Killer in Me with Casey Affleck.  What a load of shit.

Blarg! It's next on my Netflix queue. I have heard it's shit, but I want to see it for myself. I must be a glutton for punishment, but I might like it. Casey has always been my favorite Affleck.

Don't listen to him. It's a great movie.

Hehe...quite keen now to find whos whose side of the bread you'll butter.

Inkblades

I think the critical consensus on Sucker Punch has been a little ridiculous. It has its problems (paper-thin characters, stitled dialogue, a horrible last scene, etc.), yet I still kind of dug it, warts and all. At least it tried to do something a little different. I've seen reviewers calling it the worst film ever. Hyperbolic much? Comic book guy much? Have these people seen the shit nuggets that Brendan Fraser regularly squats out?

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Inkblades on Mar 27, 2011, 03:13 PM
I think the critical consensus on Sucker Punch has been a little ridiculous. It has its problems (paper-thin characters, stitled dialogue, a horrible last scene, etc.), yet I still kind of dug it, warts and all. At least it tried to do something a little different. I've seen reviewers calling it the worst film ever. Hyperbolic much? Comic book guy much? Have these people seen the shit nuggets that Brendan Fraser regularly squats outs?
you're absolutely right about people calling it worst ever. 75% of romantic comedies released are worse than this. But Sucker Punch still was poorly written and badly acted, even by the more respected actors in it. That makes it a bad movie. By no means the worst movie ever, though, because the one thing Snyder definitely knows how to do is good slow-motion action with awesome music playing over it.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

chick de la lynch

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Mar 27, 2011, 03:42 PM
By no means the worst movie ever, though, because the one thing Snyder definitely knows how to do is good slow-motion action with awesome music playing over it.

Unfortunately that's the only thing he knows how to do. Special effects can't save a film. These days a lot of directors rely on it on making it a good film, and that's not the case. Snyder can make things look cool and pretty, but can he actually direct actors? Develop a story? Make interesting characters? Probably not, and for that he could probably benefit taking some film studies classes. Technology and plot can be intertwined, as everyone has seen with Inception. Films with action and special effects have the ability to be intelligent, but Snyder isn't your man to accomplish that. What film critics have a tendency to forget is that some films are just made to entertain and that's it because that's what does well at the box office. With a movie like this, you really shouldn't go through it with a fine tooth comb. Granted, I haven't seen the film but I'm pretty sure those critics were just angry they had to sit through two hours of that film when they could have been doing something else.

Snyder is going to ruin Henry Cavill for me when the new Superman film comes out. I know it. I still haven't forgiven Snyder for thinking he could direct Watchmen  and direct it well. Pure Hubris.

defskull

His Dawn of the Dead remake was pretty good and if you noticed the amount of computer effects in that movie was small.  I think he's just gotten caught up in making things looks really cool and not pay attention to anything else. 

Inkblades

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Mar 27, 2011, 06:38 PM
Quote from: bright lights, big city on Mar 27, 2011, 03:42 PM
By no means the worst movie ever, though, because the one thing Snyder definitely knows how to do is good slow-motion action with awesome music playing over it.

Unfortunately that's the only thing he knows how to do. Special effects can't save a film. These days a lot of directors rely on it on making it a good film, and that's not the case. Snyder can make things look cool and pretty, but can he actually direct actors? Develop a story? Make interesting characters? Probably not, and for that he could probably benefit taking some film studies classes. Technology and plot can be intertwined, as everyone has seen with Inception. Films with action and special effects have the ability to be intelligent, but Snyder isn't your man to accomplish that. What film critics have a tendency to forget is that some films are just made to entertain and that's it because that's what does well at the box office. With a movie like this, you really shouldn't go through it with a fine tooth comb. Granted, I haven't seen the film but I'm pretty sure those critics were just angry they had to sit through two hours of that film when they could have been doing something else.

Snyder is going to ruin Henry Cavill for me when the new Superman film comes out. I know it. I still haven't forgiven Snyder for thinking he could direct Watchmen  and direct it well. Pure Hubris.

There actually is some attempted depth in this film by Snyder. There are themes of female empowerment and psychological reactions to sexual/physical abuse. It's not super deep or anything (and a lot of times the film does feel like Snyder going "OMGZ NAZI ZOMBIES! HOT CHICKS! ROBOTS! DRAGONS! ISN'T THIS SO AWESOME!?!") but still, that's more than I can say for a lot of other films.

defskull

I just got back from Sucker Punch. It was a very stupid movie, but I still enjoyed it.  This movie has been getting some terrible, terrible reviews and I don't understand all the hate for it. 

I can understand where people think it's bad, but I've seen sooooo much worse. I mean the nazi zombie sequence alone was pretty much worth the admission.

chick de la lynch

Wasn't there another film that had Nazi zombies in it? Or was it a tv show? Or was it a game? I swear there was something else that had Nazi zombies in it, which is something I don't get to say everyday.

lukas989

bright lights, big city

DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

blixa

chick de la lynch

I've seen quite a few films over the past few weeks (This thread needs some movement).

Never Let Me Go - What a beautiful movie. From beginning to end the film was breathtaking. The story was really heartbreaking, too and I will definitely check out the book. Once again, Andrew Garfield was brilliant. I hope to see him in more roles like this one. He knows how to be vulnerable,  and that's pretty sexy.

Mean Streets - Marty's first film that he wrote and directed by himself. Granted, it's not Taxi Driver but you can definitely see where the evolution to Taxi Driver began. I loved the cinematography and no matter how gritty Scorsese's films, they still manage to be beautifully shot. Must be the Italian Neorealism influence he has under his belt.

Jules and Jim - Great film. I wrote a journal in my film studies class and my professor thought it was weird I referred to this as the "world's most bizarre love triangle". I don't know, it was pretty bizarre to me. They kept trading each other off to one another. That, and I don't think he got the New Order reference. Truffaut's films seem to be like a love letter to France. The settings are so gorgeous and tie into his films effortlessly. Not as great as The 400 Blows,  but it's up there.

Rashomon - My second Kurosawa film. I was skeptical about watching this at first because Seven Samurai didn't really do much for me. I was pleasantly surprised how much I loved this film. My film studies professor said Kurosawa was one of the best artists of the 20th Century. Before watching the film, I would have said that's an exaggeration. Now, I feel like I'm inclined to agree. If this film were anymore beautiful, it would have been perfect. I was just floored with how the film was shot. And the music was awesome and really got me into the right mood. The ending was perfect. It was powerful beyond belief and wrapped up the film in one sentence. I teared up, in fact. So yes, I will be checking out more Kurosawa in the future and revisit Seven Samurai.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Apr 01, 2011, 06:14 PM
Rashomon - My second Kurosawa film. I was skeptical about watching this at first because Seven Samurai didn't really do much for me. I was pleasantly surprised how much I loved this film. My film studies professor said Kurosawa was one of the best artists of the 20th Century. Before watching the film, I would have said that's an exaggeration. Now, I feel like I'm inclined to agree. If this film were anymore beautiful, it would have been perfect. I was just floored with how the film was shot. And the music was awesome and really got me into the right mood. The ending was perfect. It was powerful beyond belief and wrapped up the film in one sentence. I teared up, in fact. So yes, I will be checking out more Kurosawa in the future and revisit Seven Samurai.
good to hear, but I always thought Seven Samurai was one of Kurosawa's best, or at least better than Rashomon. Now you need to go watch Yojimbo and Throne of Blood.
DERP

Corleone

Just watched Syriana... kind of hard to follow but ended up being pretty good. 3/5

Anyone like this one?

lukas989

Finally got round to watching the Host - off of the back of randomly discovering that Youtube clip of it with Combat playing over the top - really well done I thought, and unlike other far east movies I've seen retained a sense of reality rather than the general vibe of totally and insanely over the top I usually find - no mean feat considering the subject matter. 

Havent seen Syriana - but Ill check the bugger out so I can slip my own viewpoint into the convo.  It seems lovefilm have inadvertantly bumped my account up to recieve 2 movies at once instead of one...now Ill be a full time home body for sure.

bright lights, big city

I really liked Syriana. Good story and solid performances by the whole cast. Doesn't hurt that 2 of my favorite actors were in it (William Hurt and Clooney).
DERP

blixa

Quote from: Corleone on Apr 02, 2011, 03:18 AM
Just watched Syriana... kind of hard to follow but ended up being pretty good. 3/5

Anyone like this one?

i loved it! the clooney nail pulling scene KILLED me.

chick de la lynch

Quote from: lukas989 on Mar 25, 2011, 12:56 PM
I saw this a while ago, but forgot to mention it...The Killer in Me with Casey Affleck.  What a load of shit.

I just finished watching it and I must concur. I didn't know Michael Winterbottom directed this until the film started, which was already a dead giveaway this film was going to be total shit. The guy is a total hack. The editing was awful. The pacing was too slow. The way the music was used in the film was cheesy and stupid. Winterbottom is a shit director and only knows the clichés. Yes, the film did take place in the 50's and maybe that's why some of the effects were campy. However, he could have done some really interesting things with the film yet he didn't.

I liked Casey Affleck's acting, but I felt it was a little too subtle for my liking. He should have been more deranged. Kate Hudson was a pleasant surprise and I actually liked her character a lot. But man, Jessica Alba. She should never act again. It's too painful and embarrassing watching her on the screen. She's pretty but that's all she is. She should just stick with what she knows: posing half naked on magazine covers, acting like a cock tease. Shit film.

theis

Just watched Hobo with a Shotgun.

Good stuff! Rutger Hauer was awesome.