Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The Movie Topic (films recently watched, general discussion, etc)

Started by 4th Eye, Mar 02, 2005, 10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chick de la lynch

Recently I saw Tokyo Story, which was tedious to watch because there was little to no camera movement and the plot was very slow going. But once you get into the film, it's pretty amazing. Not to mention it hit a little too close to home, which made it a bit of a tearjerker.

I saw Dogtooth last night, which I enjoyed thoroughly. It was amazing this film was shot with such a very low budget. It was demented beyond repair, but I absolutely love the way it was shot.  I thought it was believable, but it also makes you think about how horrible these parents are and what was going through their minds when making up the meanings of words and these stupid, nonsensical rules. The way the children behaved, too was also believable, except for one scene when one of them finds the telephone. She seemed to understand it a little too well for someone who has never seen a telephone. Overall, it was a great film. My first Greek film, too.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: chick de la lynch on Apr 18, 2011, 04:06 AM
I saw Dogtooth last night, which I enjoyed thoroughly. It was amazing this film was shot with such a very low budget. It was demented beyond repair, but I absolutely love the way it was shot.  I thought it was believable, but it also makes you think about how horrible these parents are and what was going through their minds when making up the meanings of words and these stupid, nonsensical rules. The way the children behaved, too was also believable, except for one scene when one of them finds the telephone. She seemed to understand it a little too well for someone who has never seen a telephone. Overall, it was a great film. My first Greek film, too.
Soooooo weird. Normally I enjoy the fucked up movies. Not Dogtooth though. The acting was alright, but I just kind of got bored with it. Didn't laugh at it at all, and I kind of thought the directing and style ripped off Lars Von Trier. I honestly didn't even care for the basic concept of the film.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

ben

Win Win- 9/10.  Great movie.  Jeffrey Tambor is hilarious in this shit.

Scream 4- 6/10.  Not scary at all...and we never see Hayden's tits.  fuck that.

blixa

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Apr 18, 2011, 05:30 AM
Soooooo weird. Normally I enjoy the fucked up movies. Not Dogtooth though. The acting was alright, but I just kind of got bored with it. Didn't laugh at it at all, and I kind of thought the directing and style ripped off Lars Von Trier. I honestly didn't even care for the basic concept of the film.

i thought it was good. i loved the cinematography.

and heaven, check out angelopoulos. he's my favourite everything.

chick de la lynch

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Apr 18, 2011, 05:30 AM
I saw Dogtooth last night, which I enjoyed thoroughly. It was amazing this film was shot with such a very low budget. It was demented beyond repair, but I absolutely love the way it was shot.  I thought it was believable, but it also makes you think about how horrible these parents are and what was going through their minds when making up the meanings of words and these stupid, nonsensical rules. The way the children behaved, too was also believable, except for one scene when one of them finds the telephone. She seemed to understand it a little too well for someone who has never seen a telephone. Overall, it was a great film. My first Greek film, too.

It confused me when the posters quoted reviewers saying it was hilarious. They must have been watching a different movie because I never laughed when I was  watching it, and anyone who did laugh must be completely fucked up. I must be fairly patient when watching movies because I never got bored with the film and I felt like the pacing was perfect. The cinematography was also great, and lately I've been finding myself really enjoying the simplicity of cinematography like movies from the French New Wave or Bergman films. I thought it was great the director cut the characters in half when a scene was shot. Made it feel impersonal and a bit dehumanizing. I thought he did a great job of capturing tone with those little nuances.

I'll definitely check out Angelopoulos, blixa.

blixa

just finished watching death of a president. so bloody good. it felt so fucking real.

lukas989

Went on a blitz this week - saw A Single Man with Colin Firth - cinematography-tastic it is, and very good into the bargain.  Half Nelson with Ryan Gosling - really really good I thought - hes next on my 'check out all hes got' list - of course theres Blue Valentine to see, so excited even moreso after having watched this.  Oh and saw Syriana...hard work right enough but fundamentally rewarding...reviews seemed a little harsh on imdb but has my seal of approval.  And Fortunately enough, Beverly Hills Ninja was on the box today - Chris Farley is a sorely missed maniac.  got me all wantin' to see Black Sheep again.

chick de la lynch

So I spent the majority of my day watching some light comedies.

Hot Tub Time Machine - I enjoyed it to be quite honest. Granted, the movie was stupid but pretty much everything that happened after they got into the hot tub almost seemed...plausible. Of course that's just following the logic of the movie. The movie had likable characters doing stupid things. I like films with male bonding in it, however it didn't have the same charm as The Hangover, but overall it was good.

Easy A - Yeah, I watched it. However I don't regret watching it. The film had a lot of charm in it, and at points it was somewhat intelligent. I think it would have fared better if it wasn't loosely based off The Scarlett Letter. I liked Emma Stone in this, and she made Olive into a likable character. The last ten minutes of the film was complete shit, though and it was apparent the writer didn't really know how to finish it. It's one of the smarter teen comedies out there, though.

blixa

submarine

the best coming of age film i've seen in so fucking long. loved it. richard ayoade is fucking fantastic. i can't wait for him to make more movies. the casting made me so wet. noahhhhhhhhhh.

blixa

Corleone

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas... 7/10

About a German 8 year old that lives outside of a concentration camp.
Dramatic movie, God damn it makes you glad we won the war, but really not even a crack of humor in this one. The ending makes your jaw drop.

Saints and Soldiers 8/10

A good story about a group of Americans mission within a German offensive, pretty damn good, only an hour and a half. Good characters.

ben

bright lights, big city

DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

blixa

bright lights, big city

the font's kinda the same. kinda the same badass premise too.

DERP

tarkil

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

theis

It's a great flick, if you like that kind of stuff (exploitation).

The alternative name for the movie is: "Thriller: A Cruel Picture".

blixa

Quote from: tarkil on Apr 28, 2011, 05:34 AM
Quote from: blixa on Apr 28, 2011, 04:15 AM

badarse with a shotgun.

Is it any good ?

like theis said, if you like exploitation films then you'll like this. christine lindberg spends a lot of time being naked in this film, which i enjoyed a lot.

ben

I Saw The Devil is the best film I've seen in years.

Jerry_Curls

I totally forgot to see that movie when it was showing here. Can you review it a little bit?
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.