Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

- Photographer -

Started by Mazzy, Jul 31, 2005, 04:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mazzy

i've found and discovered some amazing photographers in the past year so i will try to find some pictures to introduce them to you guys.

the photo's i love best come from the National Geographic. those photo's [and stories] move me to tears.

Paint Your Lips

Check this guy, Maz.

http://www.jangrarup.com/ - Amazing b&w photos. He's a photo-journalist. He has captured some great moments in Africa and other countries where there's war.

Mazzy

woahhh. that's...i'm not good with words marty.

i went to this photographers exhibition [it was at his house] and he had just come back from israel around the time that there was an upsurge of suicide bombers and such and his images remind me a lot of those images. with war being the subject, it just makes it so devastadingly tragic yet you can't look away. it makes you angry and appreciative of what photography is all about. you're glad you have these magnificently shot images yet you just don't want to know these things are happening in the world. in the back of your mind you know these things are happening but not having to see these things makes it easier to just live your life without this weight hanging on your shoulders.

with war, it just makes me feel helpless because i think there is nothing i can do but in reality there is but it probably wouldn't lead or amount to anything significant. i'm so glad that these things are being documented, being with still shots like photography or moving images on film. it's a record in our time. i just love photography. it proves you don't need words to express something remarkable to another human being.

Paint Your Lips

Quote from: Mazzy on Aug 31, 2006, 09:46 AM
woahhh. that's...i'm not good with words marty.
Bullshit. And i agree with everything you just said. We need to see the backside of the coin. And a picture DOES say more than a thousand words.

I love photography just as much as you. I'm hoping to take a few classes soon. And when i get some more time, i'll experiment with series, landscapes, macros, portraits, you name it.

Mazzy

you don't need to go to school to be a good photographer. most of the people i know having exhibitions and getting their photographs printed never had any formal education. it was all self-taught. you're pretty talented i suppose...ahaahaha besides the peadophilia problem you have.

this is Dmitri Goutnik. he makes me want to go and live in Russia.

http://dgoutnik.net/

he uses a Nikon F3 and he experiments with different types of films. he's cool. i've become majorly anti-digital for a reason. i'm trying to buy myself a Nikon F80 [yes, finally decided what camera i wanted. can't tell you how difficult it was trying to decide.] my parent's think photography is a stupid career. they think i should go into political journalism because i'm so involved with it and with words themselves. i will probably want to do journalism when i'm in my late twenties. i'm pretty sure i don't need an education for that either. it's like Picasso when he said 'you don't need someone to teach you how to paint' or something like that. it just comes to you and you have to do it uniquely, the way you would do it from your mind and heart. not something taught to you like its been taught to million of others.

i'm just bitter a little because the college i want to go to charges $19,880 per year for four years for their fine arts courses. i'm applying for it though. i'm just going to go loan crazy at the bank and whoever else gives me money.

fireflyry

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

Paint Your Lips

I love B&W photography so much. And Goutnik has the great advantage, of living in a place that is ideal for B&W atmospheric pictures and scenes. I envy him that. His works are very beautiful, yet they're not polished and positioned enough to make it commercial. And i really like that. It has an edge, and he's not afriad to use weird angles. a nice browse, def.

And i love my digital camera (Canon Eos 350D), but i would love to be able to do non-digital stuff. But, i don't have the time, nor patience. So i'd rather use Photoshop to regulate colours and contrast. But, i highly respect people that don't need digital equipment.

Mazzy

i'm better with non-digital camera's myself so i favour them best. something about putting in a film myself and having these photographs to hold instead of look at on the computer. plus i'm not so good with photoshop and photo manipulation. i'm average but i would love to know more about it. i just sort of lose interest after trying to teach myself something.

lately i've become really interested in underwater photography. it sort of stemmed from seeing a photo of Bjork [http://unit.bjork.com/specials/pics/misc/ditd_013_w_copy.jpg]

she is half immersed in water and it just adds so much depth to the photo and the underlying subjects in it. Bjork is suddenly transformed into a bigger godess. i love how it totally possessess my mind like that - how a photo, one photo, can do that.

i was curious so i tried it.

now i really want an underwater camera. i've been name dropping around everyone like crazy.

Paint Your Lips

How the fuck do you find locations and models?

Mazzy

the same way you do.

i promise them a blowjob afterwards.

yummy!!

Paint Your Lips

Quote from: Mazzy on Sep 04, 2006, 09:05 AM
the same way you do.

yummy!!
Touché. I'm thinking about getting a Flash. The Canon Speedlight 580 EX. But, still not sure if it's the right time. Do you use Flash, Maz?

Jerry_Curls

I love the tub photos Mazzy. I'm also a fan of non-digital myself, but now that I'm not in high school, it will be much moe expensive to develop my own photos.

Marty, I want to see your photos.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

Mazzy

thanks brian.

Quote from: Paint Your Lips on Sep 04, 2006, 06:37 PM
Quote from: Mazzy on Sep 04, 2006, 09:05 AM
the same way you do.

yummy!!
Touché. I'm thinking about getting a Flash. The Canon Speedlight 580 EX. But, still not sure if it's the right time. Do you use Flash, Maz?

doesn't your canon already have a flash built in the camera? i thought it did. or do you just want to get a professional better one?

i'm very mehh with flash. i don't like too much light. i'm usually attracted to dark photographs and things of the dark nature. it's not that i don't like flash, because it's really important to have them sometimes, i'm just saying i can live without them you know.

i did however shoot a whole role of film without a flash and this is the only picture that came out alive:

these are some with the same camera and without a flash:

i will probably buy a flash when i buy my manual nikon. i'm more concerned with trying to find a good zoom lens. i've settled on two and hopefully can buy one of the two. i'll get myself the AF 50/1.4D because i like low light photography. i'm just waiting for a day off work where i can get my shit together. 

Jerry_Curls

I fucking love those pics. The colors are great. Fuck flash.
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

raynor

i took a photo a couple of days ago, which i'm really proud of.

Paint Your Lips

Very nice, Glenn. I like it. What camera do you use?

raynor

I have the 350D as well and I used my Sigma 28mm 1:18 lens for that one.

Paint Your Lips

Really??? What setting did you use?

raynor

1/250 5,6 ISO-100.

then in photoshop i added a photofilter on parts of the picture to make it feel more warm and decreased the brightness. i might have also used the filter 'Unsharp Mask', i can't really remember to be honest.