Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

lost CONTAINS SPOILERS

Started by wharf rat, Sep 14, 2005, 09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawg

can someone explain to me what to think of the alternative reality catching up to the whole island story?
someone ever though that they all are in heaven now and that's because no one actually is dead?
I personally think when Jacks father appeared again the whole ending turned into shit for me. how can someone so uninteresting be the one to end it all?

bright lights, big city

Quote from: lostpilot on May 24, 2010, 11:13 PM
But you know what? After some thought I decided I do not need any answers. I'm fine with the fundamental ending about life and death entirely.
this. i loved how we got CLOSURE to the characters' stories, and not some long diatribe about mysteries of the island. in a way, i'm happy that we never really knew anything about why the physical island itself was so important and special. leaves it all up for an individual's interpretation.

Quote from: Starz on May 24, 2010, 10:39 PM
(Though there are obvious questions unanswered... where was Walt? Why wasn't Miles or Richard or Frank in the church at the end either...)...
Quote from: dawg on May 25, 2010, 03:13 AM
can someone explain to me what to think of the alternative reality catching up to the whole island story?
someone ever though that they all are in heaven now and that's because no one actually is dead?
I personally think when Jacks father appeared again the whole ending turned into shit for me. how can someone so uninteresting be the one to end it all?
i can't answer for Walt, or Mr. Eko for that matter. but here's what i got from it all:
the characters on the freighter had connections to the island, however they weren't really connected specially to the survivors of 815, if you know what i mean.
everyone in the church at the end was from flight 815 and/or connected either romantically to each other and found themselves on the island. (whereas someone like Michael is left on the island as a creepy "whisperer")
now, the entire flash-sideways thing (what i took from it)- the entire thing was a purgatory that they manifested. it was pretty much what the characters thought they wanted as their happy ending.
since the purgatory has no time setting, and everyone dies, everyone is in some sort of afterlife.
everything that happened on the island, really happened; everyone that died on the island, died. juliet with the bomb, locke strangled, sun & jin drowning, jack next to vincent in the bamboo (where was vincent in the church?!?)
however those who survived the ending (hugo, ben, kate, claire, sawyer, etc.), lived on but obviously eventually passed on entered the purgatory. (this is from the ending when ben and hugo are chatting it up, mentioning that "you were a great #2". that signified that at least those 2 guys lived on for a while still on the island)
perfect end setting too, for a spiritual show, in a church with religious artifacts behind a character named CHRISTIAN who enters a bright light.

here's my question: was the entire flash-sideways-purgatory story all just for everyone to get together to send off Christian to heaven(since his body was missing the whole series)? or was everyone leaving purgatory and entering heaven because they were finally truly happy and found each other in the afterlife?
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

lostpilot

I guess they kinda "waited" until the Jack would die (though this makes no sense, especially if "some lived longer" than Jack). But the way I think of it - the purgatory is kinda static in time, timeless even. And because Jack is dying, the whole crew is "transfered" to the "point" where Jack dies. I mean, no matter if Hurley would die in a 100 years, he is there now, cause dying transfers you A LOT further. Kinda?

So since Jack is dying, he is transfered to the purgatory. He is the only one who never really got into acceptance with his father, his father is there (I should say - the father being sweet and all, considering Jacks issues, is kinda bullshitty, but you can always say that "oh well it's purgatory, they can't blame each other for anything at all").

dawg

weird.
all in all there is still so much room for interpretation!
I wonder how the show would effect someone without any religous background.
after all there is lots hidden symbolism in every episode!

lostpilot

Quote from: dawg on May 25, 2010, 01:19 PM
weird.

I am pretty much without any religious background. I am not religious at all. :)

dawg

Quote from: lostpilot on May 25, 2010, 01:32 PM
weird.

I am pretty much without any religious background. I am not religious at all. :)

but you know about good/evil and heaven/hell ;)
that's what i meant.

btw, there was a jimmy kimmel special about lost.

bright lights, big city

things are definitely left for interpretation. another theory my dad would rather believe is that EVERYONE died in the 815 crash (hence the lifeless videos of the 815 wreckage during the end credits). i don't believe this theory and can't even make sense of how flash-forwards and such would play into this.

and i did watch that jimmy kimmel special, and one interesting point he brought up was him showing when he believed Jack died. It was in the season premiere in the flash-sideways when the plane went into turbulence and he closes his eyes, clutching Rose's hand. Rose then said "you can let go now" as if there was some double meaning to it. This is an interesting idea, but then it conflicts with Jack's death in the bamboo at the end. whatever, though. the more i think about the finale, the like i love it, but at the same time i think i'm confusing myself.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

dawg

the more I think about it, it actually could be that everyone died in the plane crash and then the island and the flashbacks is some kind of "way" to heaven or hell.

in the last episode Jack's father also said something like "they made this place, so they could find them again" refering to the church

There Will Be Blood

Quote from: lostpilot on May 24, 2010, 10:03 PM
I'm shattered. The finale was just perfect - yet heartbreaking - yet purposeful.
I have so many thoughts about everything now. LOST is definitely the best tv show I have ever seen in my life, and I spent countless hours watching this, and I knew that the finale would blow me away, but not THIS much.
I mean. Like. OMG.

The finale HIGHLY corresponded with my mental status and my general personal feelings, so, I don't know, I feel like I touched the heart of the show.
It is SO beautiful. Wow. I mean like WOW.
Nothing can beat this.

Wow. I'm just speechless.

Well said my friend...

bright lights, big city

Quote from: dawg on May 25, 2010, 05:54 PM
the more I think about it, it actually could be that everyone died in the plane crash and then the island and the flashbacks is some kind of "way" to heaven or hell.

in the last episode Jack's father also said something like "they made this place, so they could find them again" refering to the church
my problem with that theory is how did they learn to love each other and such? like sayid and shannon loved each other in the island. if they died in the original plane crash, wouldn't they have technically never met?
DERP

your sister gets me hard

Quote from: dawg on May 25, 2010, 05:54 PM

no

dawg

haha okay then I'd say only the "what if the plane didn't crash" timeline is the afterlife scenario

ToneDef

Quote from: gunsrazorsknives on May 25, 2010, 07:13 PM
Quote from: lostpilot on May 24, 2010, 10:03 PM
I'm shattered. The finale was just perfect - yet heartbreaking - yet purposeful.
I have so many thoughts about everything now. LOST is definitely the best tv show I have ever seen in my life, and I spent countless hours watching this, and I knew that the finale would blow me away, but not THIS much.
I mean. Like. OMG.

The finale HIGHLY corresponded with my mental status and my general personal feelings, so, I don't know, I feel like I touched the heart of the show.
It is SO beautiful. Wow. I mean like WOW.
Nothing can beat this.

Wow. I'm just speechless.

Well said my friend...

Indeed. Summed that feeling up.

Now I been able to digest it, I loved it. It gives me that feeling that only Lost ever has when I look back on everything. Truly magical and I'm glad I was able to experience it.

It's funny when I think that when I have kids, this would be one of those shows, to them, that's just some 'old' show their Dad liked that was pretty big before they were born.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: ToneDef on May 26, 2010, 03:15 AM
It's funny when I think that when I have kids, this would be one of those shows, to them, that's just some 'old' show their Dad liked that was pretty big before they were born.
you're probably right. i just hope another show comes along that can grab these same emotions that Lost somehow did. part of me thinks Lost was a once-in-a-lifetime show, and with its mythology and pop-culture impact, it'll go completely over people's heads in future generations.
DERP

blixa

OKAY, JUST WATCHED IT.

the first thing out of my mouth was "i'm confused..." i had my mouth open the whole time. it was about the characters. i never found that the reason for watching the show was because i wanted to know what the island was and what its special qualities were. i wanted to know what was going to happen to the characters - their fate. now that it's sinking in (that is six years of my life!) i'm happy with how it ended. i'm assuming they were all dead and waiting around for each other to pass on so they could be together.

i think the things they didn't try to explain were best left that way; exactly what technical explanation for time travel would i have accepted as plausible, anyway? basically it was a choice of either giving ridiculous answers or not bothering. and i think they made the right choice. i think the last episode was more about winding up the character stories and on that level it worked. the last scene was moving, what with the dog, and the way it referred back to the very opening shot of the first series.

blixa

Quote from: dawg on May 25, 2010, 02:23 PM
Quote from: lostpilot on May 25, 2010, 01:32 PM
weird.

but you know about good/evil and heaven/hell ;)
that's what i meant.

btw, there was a jimmy kimmel special about lost.

i'm religious so i loved it. i don't know if i believe in an afterlife so that has always been something i've been interested in looking at. the whole idea of purgatory is extremely appealing to me. i love the way art looks at it and lost kind of took it and did something completely well with it.

it set off in the first episode of this season if you think about it when the plane doesn't crash and rose tells jack, "it's okay, you can let go." it was all leading up to jack dying because jack protected the island. and when kate says, "i've missed you," it's all because she hadn't seen him for years and years because she got off the island and presumably lived for a very long time.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: blixa on May 26, 2010, 04:25 PM
i think the things they didn't try to explain were best left that way; exactly what technical explanation for time travel would i have accepted as plausible, anyway? basically it was a choice of either giving ridiculous answers or not bothering. and i think they made the right choice. i think the last episode was more about winding up the character stories and on that level it worked. the last scene was moving, what with the dog, and the way it referred back to the very opening shot of the first series.
agreed completely. the big mysteries of the actual island are best left unsolved, and open for discussion and speculation.

and that last shot... beautiful.
DERP

dawg

:D :D :D

AND

after having read through a few reviews by now, it's so obvious that it was all about the characters not the mysteries!
and I also read that Jack's ending was similar to Jesus death. The knife in the same spot and he sacrificed his life to save his friends.  ::)

bright lights, big city

DERP

snw9

Code: [Select]