Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The books thread

Started by tarkil, Jan 16, 2006, 02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devlin

yeah it wasn't all that good. my biggest problem was the way the zombies moved. i don't mind the fast running zombies, but these were way to fast and pretty much had super powers, running along walls and jumping crazy high, shit like that.

bright lights, big city

yeah thank god i didn't see that either then. but wasn't it from the people who did the Dawn of the Dead remake? I enjoyed that one
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

devlin

i'm not sure if it was done by the same people. but i agree dawn of the dead remake is fucking great, one of my favorite zombie movies.

bright lights, big city

here's a synopsis i found of the sequels to Twilight:

In the second book, Edward the sparkling vampire leaves Bella for her own good, and she spends most of the book trying to kill herself with motorcycles and cliff-diving. Sort of. And then her best friend falls in love with her and turns out to be a werewolf, but Bella runs away to save Edward from committing suicide by public sparkling in Italy. In the third book, Jacob the best friend/boyfriend wannabe/werewolf turns into a total asshole trying to force himself on Bella, and a vampire with a grudge from the first book is trying to kill her, but more importantly, Bella and Edward argue about whether they should have sex, get married, and/or vampirize Bella, and in that order.  Hand to God, I did not make one word of that up. Twilight means never having to say you're kidding.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

downtownpony

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Nov 24, 2008, 08:31 PM

In the second book, Edward the sparkling vampire leaves Bella for her own good, and she spends most of the book trying to kill herself with motorcycles and cliff-diving. Sort of. And then her best friend falls in love with her and turns out to be a werewolf, but Bella runs away to save Edward from committing suicide by public sparkling in Italy. In the third book, Jacob the best friend/boyfriend wannabe/werewolf turns into a total asshole trying to force himself on Bella, and a vampire with a grudge from the first book is trying to kill her, but more importantly, Bella and Edward argue about whether they should have sex, get married, and/or vampirize Bella, and in that order.  Hand to God, I did not make one word of that up. Twilight means never having to say you're kidding.

Man that is horrible. A friend recommended the book to me, I thought it might be alright, because Iv recommended books like, The Rising, City of The Dead, and I am Legend, to him and he's read them and enjoyed them, so I figured he had good taste, but shit. That synopsis makes me question our friendship.

White Pwny

Quote from: lostpilot on Nov 24, 2008, 01:10 PM
Quote from: penguin in the desert on Nov 24, 2008, 11:38 AM
i have no fucking clue why this Twilight shit is so fucking huge. i'd never even heard of it before the movie started to get mentioned. sparkling, vegetarian vampires? fuck that shit.

same here.

They are NOT vegetarian vampires, they just make joke of it in the movie.  They don't feed off humans, instead they feed off animals.    The fanbase is huge, because the books  are great!     
hang a noose for my new sinner.... somewhere everyone can see it...

White Pwny

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Nov 24, 2008, 08:31 PM

In the second book, Edward the sparkling vampire leaves Bella for her own good, and she spends most of the book trying to kill herself with motorcycles and cliff-diving. Sort of. And then her best friend falls in love with her and turns out to be a werewolf, but Bella runs away to save Edward from committing suicide by public sparkling in Italy. In the third book, Jacob the best friend/boyfriend wannabe/werewolf turns into a total asshole trying to force himself on Bella, and a vampire with a grudge from the first book is trying to kill her, but more importantly, Bella and Edward argue about whether they should have sex, get married, and/or vampirize Bella, and in that order.  Hand to God, I did not make one word of that up. Twilight means never having to say you’re kidding.

Jesus, what a downer.   It just isn't all that simple, you know.  There are 4 novels!   There is tons of filler.. and if you had read even just Twilight.. you would know that the "best friend"  who is Jacob has always had a thing for her, not just suddenly falls for her.   It's a dreamy story of love... and vampires... but I would say that the majority of the idea is LOVE.  It may be a girlie book, and a girlie movie... which is maybe why I love it.     It isn't a kill all book....  nor is it a fighting book... or struggle to stay alive book.   It's a completely ficticious vampire love story.  If it don't sound good to you... it's simple enough... DON'T read it. 

Josh (goldpony) even read Twilight, and thought it was ok, which is suprising.. I thought all the guys would hate it.

Hubby went and saw the movie with me, and he didn't care for it....   But myself... my kids... and every chick in that movie theatre loved it.

bright lights, big city

Quote from: White Pwny on Nov 25, 2008, 03:49 AM
Hubby went and saw the movie with me, and he didn't care for it....   But myself... my kids... and every chick in that movie theatre loved it.
that is basically the point of the books isn't it? I just don't get why I hate this more than the normal fad or chick flick. Because I can take the NORMAL movie like The Notebook or that Nicholas Sparks crap....this whole series, though, just seems dumb to me...
DERP

White Pwny

haha.  Maybe just because the media is all over it.  But I loved it.  IM going to start reading New Moon tomorrow.

i kill for fun

Im in a high level English class in which all are English majors, the majority which are girls. The profesor acutally brought the books up in class the other day and pretty much every girl said even though they wanted to like the books, they were tastless and horrible.
"playful deception is the lowest form of Tom-foolery"
"i don't trust anything that bleeds for five days and doesn't die"

bright lights, big city

lol have fun with that! you're probably right, people are going just absolutely insane over this movie.
DERP

White Pwny

I started getting into this series when Stephenie Meyer did a book deal for Breaking Dawn.. which is the last book in the series.  Justin Furstenfeld was going to perform.. as she loves Blue October.   The crowd was going crazy and this was before the movie was even done.   Ppl were going nuts over "Edward" and "Jacob" and "Bella".    Hell even my mother in law was over a few months ago and said she has all the books, and had read them as they were released.  Stephenie has quite a following from this series, before the movie was even thought of.

goldpony

yeah, i read the book. it wasn't bad, but it did kind of ramble on and was a bit "girly" for my tastes. It definitely could have standed to lose about 100-200 pages. I really dont understand the fascination either. like i said the book was okay, but the writing was very simple and the pacing was a drag
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on Jun 01, 2008, 12:58 AM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

White Pwny

Quote from: goldpony on Nov 25, 2008, 08:17 PM
yeah, i read the book. it wasn't bad, but it did kind of ramble on and was a bit "girly" for my tastes. It definitely could have standed to lose about 100-200 pages. I really dont understand the fascination either. like i said the book was okay, but the writing was very simple and the pacing was a drag

Yer such a dude!   =o)

goldpony

Quote from: White Pwny on Nov 25, 2008, 08:33 PM
Quote from: goldpony on Nov 25, 2008, 08:17 PM

Yer such a dude!   =o)

no no no, I AM the Dude, man
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on Jun 01, 2008, 12:58 AM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

White Pwny

ohhhh yeah!   I forgot.    Sorry, it won't happen again!

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: penguin in the desert on Nov 24, 2008, 02:15 PM
Quote from: devlin on Nov 24, 2008, 02:08 PM
thats not as bad as the vegatarian zombie in the day of the dead remake tough.

wow seriously? i knew there was a good reason for refusing to watch it.

I watched it, finally, and it wasn't about the vegetarian zombie, that was just an offhand comment made by one of the characters.  The guy was vegetarian before he was zombified, but his character was supposed to be the updated Bub character from the original, so he was only "friendly" because he retained some memories and mannerisms from when he was alive.  Bud in the remake = Bub in original.

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Nov 24, 2008, 04:46 PM

yeah thank god i didn't see that either then. but wasn't it from the people who did the Dawn of the Dead remake? I enjoyed that one

It was not done by the same people.  Around this time period, after the Dawn remake, there were several movies that all jumped on the Romero bandwagon.  I read a few articles about it (had to hunt through my Fango/Rue Morgue archives) and it was meant to be an updated, action filled, reworking of the original film.  And the Dawn remake was awesome, even with the fast moving zombies.  Like Romero said, their ankles would snap if they ran, they're dead.

Quote from: devlin on Nov 24, 2008, 03:08 PM
yeah it wasn't all that good. my biggest problem was the way the zombies moved. i don't mind the fast running zombies, but these were way to fast and pretty much had super powers, running along walls and jumping crazy high, shit like that.

They were ridiculously organized and fast in this one.  It was more like a Return of the Living Dead/28 Days Later/NotLD mix than a faithful Romero universe entry.  I thought it was more humorous than anything.  Some of the head popping scenes had me laughing my ass off.  It was fun to watch but not much for story and a bit too much CGI, yet again.

lostpilot

bought 1984 few days ago, going to read it soon

devlin

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Nov 27, 2008, 07:22 PM
Quote from: penguin in the desert on Nov 24, 2008, 02:15 PM
Quote from: devlin on Nov 24, 2008, 02:08 PM
thats not as bad as the vegatarian zombie in the day of the dead remake tough.

wow seriously? i knew there was a good reason for refusing to watch it.

I watched it, finally, and it wasn't about the vegetarian zombie, that was just an offhand comment made by one of the characters.  The guy was vegetarian before he was zombified, but his character was supposed to be the updated Bub character from the original, so he was only "friendly" because he retained some memories and mannerisms from when he was alive.  Bud in the remake = Bub in original.

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Nov 24, 2008, 04:46 PM

It was not done by the same people.  Around this time period, after the Dawn remake, there were several movies that all jumped on the Romero bandwagon.  I read a few articles about it (had to hunt through my Fango/Rue Morgue archives) and it was meant to be an updated, action filled, reworking of the original film.  And the Dawn remake was awesome, even with the fast moving zombies.  Like Romero said, their ankles would snap if they ran, they're dead.

Quote from: devlin on Nov 24, 2008, 03:08 PM

They were ridiculously organized and fast in this one.  It was more like a Return of the Living Dead/28 Days Later/NotLD mix than a faithful Romero universe entry.  I thought it was more humorous than anything.  Some of the head popping scenes had me laughing my ass off.  It was fun to watch but not much for story and a bit too much CGI, yet again.

yeah i knew he was the updated character bub, and that he had a thing for the main chick probably more or less the reason he was like that. i just thought it was gay, even in the original, to have one mysteriously act different. like in "land" the one gas station attendant who was smarter than the rest, i dunno i don't like that for some reason.

and i read an interview with romero where he finally came around and said 28 days later was an ok movie since he doens't consider them zombies, but still alive and just crazy from the rage virus. which i agree with its not really a zombie movie in my opinion. its a great fucking movie just not a zombie, dead eating the living movie.