Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Radiohead

Started by Fireal1222, Feb 20, 2006, 08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starz

I don't like comparing Radiohead albums to other Radiohead albums because imo not one album sounds the same, they're all different. And The King of Limbs has just proved that...

It's a very atmospheric album where Thom's vocals brings a lot of this atmosphere, soaked in reverb. I think this suits his voice and the album very well. I agree with it being 'down-tempo' like. It's a very mellow and beautiful album, great to listen to on a rainy day. In Rainbows was the summer festival album where King of Limbs is the hangover or comedown after a weekend of partying.

It reminds me a lot of Stomacher's 'Sentimental Education' album. If people don't know it then they should check it out. Recommended

Crazylegs

my thoughts on the first listen: Eh, it's allright. I'll probably have to give it a few spins to get into it.
my thoughts on the second listen: Brilliant!

sing blue silver

well... this is weird, but i'm liking it. it's pretty much exactly what i was expecting. kind of like amnesiac but with fast almost cluttered beats driving it.

keep in mind i'm only 3 songs deep. i'll reflect on it more after a couple listens.

ben

I think it's great.  Im glad they went away from that riff-filled In Rainbows shit.

To me it feels like they're completing the trilogy of Kid A and Amnesiac. 

Starz

You see that's the thing. I really don't think Radiohead are the sort of band to go into the studio and say "Okay, let's sound like Amnesiac meets Kid A." They just write music 'cause they're damn good at it. I don't think there is any sort of agenda behind their music. Kid A is what it is 'cause that's the mood Thom was in at that time. Kid A wasn't written just for the sake of being different, it just turned out the way it did. King of Limbs is the same.

Eurgh. Radiohead always get me into these debates. Ignore me

ben

Ok that's fine, but people have different interpretations of music they listen to.  I didn't say Radiohead went into the studio wanting to sound like Amnesiac...but it sounds more like that than anything else. 

Do people on this board still have weird genre/detail problems?  Because if so, I'll leave again.

Starz

No I think my post was a one off. Please don't leaveeeee

Corleone

Going to listen to it tonight, after listening to all the older albums, because it's been far too long.

Slacker

Quote from: Corleone on Feb 19, 2011, 03:01 AM
Going to listen to it tonight, after listening to all the older albums, because it's been far too long.

im not going to listen to the older albums, but im getting ready ro sit back and enjoy.

sing blue silver

give up the ghost is so goddamn awesome. hearing a studio version is nice after watching the live clip the past couple months.

Fireal1222

i listened to the album without any expectations, and walked away absolutely thrilled..

i really enjoyed king of limbs. from beginning to end, i think the album is  pretty much perfect, and i can tell it will be long lasting.. i agree with everyone who is comparing the album to amnesiac.. its not the same idea, but it has the same vibe.

anyway. i am really truely loving the king of limbs, and i cant wait to just keep listening to it.

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

Corleone

Glad you like it, I couldn't even listen to it, just wasn't doing anything for me.

sing blue silver

the lyrics and title of separator are giving me that old tricky radiohead feeling. i think it's highly unlikely but i'm having secret hopes that we're not done experiencing the king of limbs yet...

Fireal1222

Quote from: sing blue silver on Feb 19, 2011, 04:33 AM
the lyrics and title of separator are giving me that old tricky radiohead feeling. i think it's highly unlikely but i'm having secret hopes that we're not done experiencing the king of limbs yet...

i thought that too. i think their might be more tracks coming.. with that said. the 8 tracks already available are incredible even if their isnt anything else coming

Quote from: Corleone on Feb 19, 2011, 04:30 AM
Glad you like it, I couldn't even listen to it, just wasn't doing anything for me.

give it time. but on first listen, i really enjoyed it.. morning mr magpie is awesome

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

Sushi-X

I love how codex seuges into give up the ghost.

Btw there's a rumor that there is more tracks to the album. Some of the clues that point out to this are the two vinyls next month. Then at the end of Seperator you can hear Thom say "if you think this is the end, your wrong" or something along those lines.

Rocket Skates '94

E-Money

Finally got to listen to it from start to finish tonight.  I enjoyed it, but its not my favorite Radiohead record.  I was hoping for Skirting on the Surface to be on there but that might be a Atoms for Peace track, not sure.   Still I'm grateful for 8 wonderful new songs.  Wouldn't expect anything less from this amazing group of musicians. 

blixa

i'm downloading it now. i'm going to go and watch clueless in the meantime.

Jerry_Curls

^Win-win situation!
..Yeah don't go there,

I let you get to me

yeah yeah.

blixa

Slacker

yeah it picks up in the second half fo sho.

i dont remember ever before listening a radiohead album for the first time and the reading the lyrics, good call.

its a grower. though at first glance, in rainbows seems more solid.

in any case, it still feels like the band found its core.