Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Opeth

Started by Necrocetaceanbeastiality, Mar 26, 2006, 09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Fucking awesome. I saw them a few years ago on their first tour of the states. Saw them down in Portland. Shit was fucking insane. Then I saw them on their Damnation tour. With Porcupine Tree. Damnation was a shitty album in my opinion, but that show fucking ruled.

Assassin

I haven't heard anything by Opeth but someone told me they have a rock album which is different from their usual black metal stuff and is awesome. Do you know what the hell they were talking about?

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Yes, Damnation. It's a prog-ish album.

The thing about Opeth is, is they are a strange combination of black metal and prog. Alot of people classify them as "prog metal".

Assassin

Anything Satanic or anti-God on that album?

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Couldn't tell ya.

Assassin

333tone

i'm seeing them 2morrow. i'm so fuckin excited! their last record is insane!

If you think my castle  is built on sand, Well bring on the tides, You can fuck off and die. If you think my patience is ocean vast, Or river deep, You can fuck off and die.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

I haven't listened to Damnation in awhile. But I heard somewhere that they're religious themselves. I haven't looked into it so as I said before, I honestly couldn't tell ya.

@333tone cool dude, have fun!

Assassin

Quote from: You Fail Me on Mar 26, 2006, 09:40 PM
I haven't listened to Damnation in awhile. But I heard somewhere that they're religious themselves. I haven't looked into it so as I said before, I honestly couldn't tell ya.

They're religious? So why is their musical style black metal? Isn't that typically satanic? Unless by 'religious' you mean religiously satanic.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Dunno, I assume "black metal" is an oxymoron whilst talking about Opeth.

Muempire

Blackwater Park is one of the best cds ive ever purchased, Great band.

And yeah saying black metal is satanic is a dumb stereotype. And so what if some of it is satanic... Its there belief it shouldnt affect you, its just music.
aka. TeamTones

Assassin

It affects me because I don't want to listen to someone dissing God. If you have a problem with that then that's your problem. And by the way, I never said black metal is satanic, I asked if it typically is. You're the one who's making dumb and stereotypical comments.

Muempire

I dont have a problem with it, i apologise it came out wrong. I just hate it when people more or less judge a book by its cover. And i respect your beliefs just as i respect anyone elses. All i meant to say was if the music is good the bands beliefs shouldnt affect your appreciation of the music. But yeah to answer your question these guys arent satanic from what i can tell and either is most black metal.

Once again sorry for going stupid
aka. TeamTones

Assassin

Apology accepted. I hear what you're saying when it comes to not allowing a band's beliefs to affect your appreciation for their music, but for me if they're dissing something I believe strongly in in their song lyrics then I don't want to listen to it, and I strongly believe that dissing God is wrong. I'm not asking for them to stop doing it, I just choose not to listen. However, if their personal beliefs do not affect their music, i.e. they're not dissing God in song lyrics, then I'll still listen, because their beliefs are irrelevant to the music.

So you're saying that black metal isn't anti-God? That's new to me.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

*wonders if Assassin is Christian and thinks about starting a new thread*

Sam

She's muslim.  And no, Opeth isn't Satanic.  They are very fucking relaxing to listen to at times, yet very heavy and brutal.

Download:  Patterns in the Ivy II, Bleak, Deliverance...hell the Blackwater Park album is awesome.

Muempire

Quote from: Assassin on Mar 26, 2006, 11:30 PM

Well im not 100% sure that the whole genre itself isnt cause im not a huge fan of it myself. But from what ive heard some of it tends to be pretty neutral on the matter. I think its just the heavy guitars and the overall brutal sound that paints the whole satanic picture. But its safe to say that Opeth are far from satanic and are definately worth checking out. Like Sam said anything  of Blackwater park is great so if your interested check it out.
aka. TeamTones

Assassin

Quote from: You Fail Me on Mar 26, 2006, 11:33 PM
*wonders if Assassin is Christian and thinks about starting a new thread*

Yes as Sam pointed out, I'm Muslim. Still want to start a new thread You Fail Me?

Quote from: Sam on Mar 26, 2006, 11:36 PM
She's muslim.  And no, Opeth isn't Satanic.  They are very fucking relaxing to listen to at times, yet very heavy and brutal.

That's interesting to find out. I'll download those songs you recommended.

Quote from: Muempire on Mar 26, 2006, 11:47 PM
Quote from: Assassin on Mar 26, 2006, 11:30 PM

Well im not 100% sure that the whole genre itself isnt cause im not a huge fan of it myself. But from what ive heard some of it tends to be pretty neutral on the matter. I think its just the heavy guitars and the overall brutal sound that paints the whole satanic picture. But its safe to say that Opeth are from satanic and are definately worth checking out. Like Sam said anything  of Blackwater park is great so if your interested check it out.

Ok thanks man, I'll check them out.

Muempire

No problem, enjoy!

And definately check the song out Patterns in the Ivy, that song is beauty beyond words.
aka. TeamTones

Azwethinkweiz

Quote from: You Fail Me on Mar 26, 2006, 09:08 PM

The thing about Opeth is, is they are a strange combination of black metal and prog. Alot of people classify them as "prog metal".

Opeth is far from being black metal.
Opeth is melodic death metal with a progressive sound.