Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Nine Inch Nails Thread

Started by devilinside, Jan 13, 2007, 05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

devilinside

I just can't spend money on an album I don't appreciate. :( Not to mention ticket prices are insane,over $50 for nosebleed and over $100 for GA...are you kidding me?? I've spent well over 10k following them over the past 20 years,I think I'm gonna retire...as should Trent. *d'oh*

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Quote from: devilinside on Oct 15, 2013, 12:03 AM
I just can't spend money on an album I don't appreciate. :( Not to mention ticket prices are insane,over $50 for nosebleed and over $100 for GA...are you kidding me?? I've spent well over 10k following them over the past 20 years,I think I'm gonna retire...as should Trent. *d'oh*

Wise decision, I did the same. I will add the new CD at some point only to have my Halo collection complete.

RoyalDeftonicBoy

News about NIN and the future

In addition to screaming his lungs out as frontman for Nine Inch Nails, Trent Reznor has a corporate job – he's chief creative officer for Beats Music, the new streaming-music service that launched earlier this week. Reznor recently spoke to Rolling Stone about how he landed his Beats gig and his recording plans for this year.

See where Nine Inch Nails' 'Hesitation Marks' ranks on our 50 Best Albums of 2013

When did Beats Music hire you as chief creative officer and how did it come up?
About two-and-a-half years ago or so. Might be a little longer than that. I've been friends with Jimmy [Iovine] since the early Nineties, when he signed Nine Inch Nails to Interscope – we maintained a friendship throughout our artist-label era. A few years ago, he brought me in to check out what he did with Beats Electronics and it was pretty mind-blowing. He asked me to solve a problem with the hardware he'd been having – an interesting riddle to me. I'd hear him speaking excitedly about his concept of a streaming service with curation at the forefront. My eyes lit up. I said, "Hey, in my own world, I agree that a product like that feels like the right move, from a consumer standpoint." We started executing that. I think I'm the longest employee here now at this point.

How much do you participate in the curation, as far as selecting songs or overseeing playlists or quality control?
I'm not part of the editorial team or the content team. What I've done has been more architectural, in terms of "What is this thing? What is the spirit of this thing? How does it look? Let's really examine every situation in which we listen to music and the shortcomings of current versions, whether it be terrestrial radio or satellite radio or iTunes/iPods." We're trying to bring joy to the user and sort through the world's catalog of music into digestible parcels that considers context where it might be. It reimagines the home stereo as sitting in your pocket rather than on a shelf in your house. It's coming up with the idea that humans need to be involved in this process and the miracle of algorithms. What we've been promised – it seems great, but more often than not it feels like a computer.

Had you spent much time with other streaming services before working on Beats?
I'd used services like Rhapsody. I was excited by the process of Pandora, which I still think is a decent product. Not as great in actuality as it sounds. After the first hour, its weaknesses start to show up. Spotify – I met those guys before they launched in America and was wildly excited about the idea. "Wow, this is all the music in the world, for a flat fee." They were bragging about the fact they were agnostic – "We're not here to tell you what to listen to." Interesting. I'm looking at a black screen, kind of like iTunes. Wonder if Nine Inch Nails is in there. Hey, it is. But as a music fan, I found myself trying to force myself to use it. I didn't reach for it when I got in the car to drive. It still felt the like I had to do the work to use it. It felt utilitarian.

And that's when Beats Music came along?
I was in a place like that when the opportunity came up with Jimmy. On my own, I'm not going to try to get funding. It's more of a daydream. With Jimmy, it's more likely to become a reality. We kind of wound up in the same place.

What have you learned about working for a tech company?
The most difficult part, for me, was scaling things down to being digestible, really putting on the focus on a few key components that worked really well when they launched, with a road map. Things that wouldn't make sense to overload the user with. What's happened with me in the last couple months as I've been using a prototype on my phone is that the real strength and integrity of the playlists that we've made have become clear to me. . . . I haven't had that from the other services. Somebody that actually knows what they're talking about, or there's a selection of songs that feels like they're coming from a trusted source. That has real value to me and I think the public is going to pick up on that.

What are Nine Inch Nails' touring and recording plans for 2014?
We're leaving to go to tour mid-to-late February, in Australia with Queens [of the Stone Age]. We've got dates booked through the end of the summer. A lot of touring ahead. Just started on a new product. Can't tell you what it is yet. It will take place while touring. New music maybe this fall. Every spare second, and even seconds that aren't spare, are trying to wrangle this new creation into shape.

Really? What else can you say about the recording project?
That's more than I should've.

Also, can you believe NIN is closing the Grammys? What kinda fuckery is that? Good old creative NIN would have said FUCK THAT! IMO it shows he has sold out completely which blows. Very excited for the new project and I hope is better than that last shit he did of album.

people are people

Actually, Reznor also announced a new remix EP, titled Seed Eight, there exclusively.

Nine Inch Nails - Seed Eight (Remix 2014 EP) [Full Album]

Honestly, I would be amazed if Maynard James Keenan,Trent Reznor and Danny Lohner would comeback now with their Tapeworm project ,This is a dream team. I really wish something more had come of it, the first Puscifer songs written by Danny Lohner and Maynard himself were actually Tapeworm songs. So were Potions and Passive which was originally Vacant reworked by A Perfect Circle. Who Knows. But real news, Reznor took to announce the partnership, writing: "and yes, Atticus and I are scoring David Fincher's upcoming Gone Girl!"
Reznor and collaborator Atticus Ross previously worked with Fincher on the score for "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo" and "The Social Network," the latter of which earned them an Oscar.

RoyalDeftonicBoy

I wonder how Trent felt after his half performance LMFAO There you go Trent, you trusted the Grammys and they fucked you up. Im laughing at your Trent, yes a NIN fan hahahahaha! Say thank you to the producers now Trent.

people are people

"Music's biggest night... to be disrespected. A heartfelt F–K YOU guys," he tweeted after the performance. LMFAO

people are people

Quote from: RoyalDeftonicBoy on Jan 27, 2014, 09:58 AM
Im laughing at your Trent, yes a NIN fan hahahahaha! Say thank you to the producers now Trent.

And wait, that shit is for me? because I never said that I supported this shit, You must have been out your mind... LOL

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Quote from: people are people on Jan 27, 2014, 10:35 AM
Quote from: RoyalDeftonicBoy on Jan 27, 2014, 09:58 AM
Im laughing at your Trent, yes a NIN fan hahahahaha! Say thank you to the producers now Trent.

And wait, that shit is for me? because I never said that I supported this shit, You must have been out your mind... LOL

Uh?

people are people

My bad, man. lol is because of the lately discussions that I had on the forum. And now I suspect of everything, since some guys here are big retards. My bad bro, I was being unfair now, and I was wondering if that was for me lol. which I wouldn't be surprised, after the stupid shits lately here on the forum.My bad, Man.

bright lights, big city

His problem was "trusting" the Grammys in the first place. This wasn't surprising, considering every year they cut off the final performance to get their ads and credits wedged in their 4 hour show.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

people are people

And Reznor's latest outburst isn't the first time he's sounded off at the awards ceremony after he tweeted back in October 2012: 'The Grammys make me hate music, and certainly everyone in the ass-licking music industry.'

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Quote from: people are people on Jan 27, 2014, 11:10 AM
My bad, man. lol is because of the lately discussions that I had on the forum. And now I suspect of everything, since some guys here are big retards. My bad bro, I was being unfair now, and I was wondering if that was for me lol. which I wouldn't be surprised, after the stupid shits lately here on the forum.My bad, Man.

All good homie ;) No problem, nothing happen.

people are people

Quote from: RoyalDeftonicBoy on Jan 28, 2014, 07:57 AM

All good homie ;) No problem, nothing happen.
Yay cool Man.

More news :), Trent Reznor commissioned Nine Inch Nails material by Coil to be released as 'Recoiled'. The tracks are outtakes from the remix sessions for Fixed, Closer To God and Further Down The Spiral. They were created by members of Coil, along with Danny Hyde. Recoiled omits the tracks from Uncoiled that could be viewed as redundant and also adds an extra remix that was not included on Uncoiled.
The album holds the unrestrained pre-big studio-mix downs of 4 songs which long time Coil admirer / collaborator Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) requested Coil to remix.
Reznor sent over the original multi-tracks and DATs to Hyde / Christopherson, who then independently mixed versions and then met to synch both creations, molding them into these master versions. "Recoiled" includes a fuller, more opulent version of the track "Closer", which eventually made it onto the opening credits to the movie "Se7en". These 5 lengthy compositions are pre-Ableton / laptop generation type priest song creations, with the use of baby alarms and numerous wires to create bespoke effects. 4 of the tracks were released on the download-only "Uncoiled". A bonus, previously unheard track from the same sessions closes the album. Jhonn Balance is also manifest on this track's line-up. The material was remastered for CD and vinyl.
Nine Inch Nails - Recoiled [Full Album]

DJR

I managed get a ticket for me and my aunt for the manchester show in may wooo! Are the support act any good? I cab to even youtube right now

RoyalDeftonicBoy

lftpp

RoyalDeftonicBoy

people are people