Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Nine Inch Nails Thread

Started by devilinside, Jan 13, 2007, 05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYRexall

The Slip was nowhere near as brilliant as Year Zero. Year Zero was his best overall album since The Downward Spiral. I'll even go as far as saying it was his Downward Spiral for this generation, even if it didn't garner nearly as much acclaim. As an album experience, Year Zero was brilliant.

The Slip was decent enough but just felt like a short collection of songs quickly thrown together for the benefit of the fans. He could have written those 10 songs in his sleep. It was more of a gift than it was an artistic statement.

DJR

Quote from: Black on Nov 12, 2012, 05:53 AM
The Slip was nowhere near as brilliant as Year Zero. Year Zero was his best overall album since The Downward Spiral. I'll even go as far as saying it was his Downward Spiral for this generation, even if it didn't garner nearly as much acclaim. As an album experience, Year Zero was brilliant.

The Slip was decent enough but just felt like a short collection of songs quickly thrown together for the benefit of the fans. He could have written those 10 songs in his sleep. It was more of a gift than it was an artistic statement.

Nothing beats The Fragile brother...NOTHING.. hahaha :)

NYRexall

You're about the 5,000th person to tell me that, and I still just don't get it. Trent's been one of my favorite musicians for over half my life, and I was as excited as anyone when the Fragile was released. And it still took me years to fully appreciate that album. Like, over a decade, at least.

It's a good album for sure, but I don't understand it being hailed as his best work. It comes nowhere close to TDS in my book. Not conceptually, not sonically, not cohesively. It sounds strained and unfocused at times, and his lyrics on that album delve into near self-parody at times.

Musically, its rich and detailed. But it's far from the masterpiece everyone claims it is, imo.

xToxin

I really like their instrumentals but I hate his voice. I really don't like it at all. I love the Closer instrumental and i hate his vocals on the song.

DJR

Quote from: xToxin on Nov 12, 2012, 05:30 PM
I really like their instrumentals but I hate his voice. I really don't like it at all. I love the Closer instrumental and i hate his vocals on the song.

You hate Trent Reznors voice????  ???

versatile

Quote from: DJR on Nov 12, 2012, 08:06 PM

I hate Reznor's voice too
(:

DJR

Quote from: versatile on Nov 12, 2012, 09:00 PM
Quote from: DJR on Nov 12, 2012, 08:06 PM

I hate Reznor's voice too

I usually tend to hate horrible peoples voices like Green Day and Blink 182...you know the nasal ones that make you feel sick? But not Trent...... damn mannnnn :(

NYRexall

LOVE Trent's voice. So soothing.

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Quote from: DJR on Nov 12, 2012, 01:54 PM
Quote from: Black on Nov 12, 2012, 05:53 AM

Nothing beats The Fragile brother...NOTHING.. hahaha :)

+ 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

xToxin

The fragile has that shitty song with Manson on it though. I hate that fucking song. Otherwise it's a great album.

DJR

Quote from: xToxin on Nov 13, 2012, 01:54 PM
The fragile has that shitty song with Manson on it though. I hate that fucking song. Otherwise it's a great album.

Starfuckers gets me pumped up mannnn

deftones47

Quote from: DJR on Nov 13, 2012, 07:48 PM
Starfuckers gets me pumped up mannnn

Same here.

I gotta agree with you DJR. The Fragile is absolutely awesome!

And what's with you other guys not liking the sound of Trent Reznor's voice?

NYRexall

Manson's in the Starfuckers video, but not on the song itself.

I've grown to love The Fragile over the years, but it's by no means as brilliant as TDS to me. TDS is probably my favorite album of all time. From start to finish, it's flawless. And it never gets old to me. I think I can only say the same about The Cure's Disintegration album.

deftones47

Aw sweet! Another Homme-Reznor collab!

Anyone heard the track (not the album) "Era Vulgaris"?

scatterbrain

Quote from: deftones47 on Nov 15, 2012, 04:05 AM

man I heard that shit once on music choice,what cd is it on?shit was badass.
im me and thats all ill ever be

Livewire

Quote from: scatterbrain on Nov 15, 2012, 10:40 AM
Quote from: deftones47 on Nov 15, 2012, 04:05 AM

man I heard that shit once on music choice,what cd is it on?shit was badass.

It's a bonus track on the Australia, New Zealand, UK and Japan versions of Era Vulgaris.

NYRexall

I have one of the international editions with that track as a bonus. I tracked it down specifically for that song. If I'm not mistaken, you can't even hear Trent's voice on it. They did the same thing (thankfully) with the song on the same album that had that goof from the Strokes on it.

Livewire

Quote from: Black on Nov 15, 2012, 05:57 PM
I have one of the international editions with that track as a bonus. I tracked it down specifically for that song. If I'm not mistaken, you can't even hear Trent's voice on it.

Hmm, really? I thought it was fairly obvious, around the 2:22 mark to 2:49.

NYRexall

Will give it a closer listen this evening and report back on what I find...