Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

My night with Team Sleep…

Started by 13hourstoparadise, Dec 06, 2007, 07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

13hourstoparadise

My night with Team Sleep...

I almost didn't make it [into Seattle] due to snow. But I did, glad too, it turned out to be a true fans dream, I don't think anyone could get as lucky as I did.

The first couple bands to open for Team Sleep were not bad, I was impressed. In between sets I entered the El Corazon bar for drinks, ran into a few people I've met, and a few people I know.

Team Sleep came on, once past a couple technical difficulties they were solid. Played a great show, introduced a few new songs, one of which Rick got on the keyboard – I can't wait to hear this demo. They also performed the never officially released songs such as King Diamond, and Mercedes. I used to carry a camera during shows, now I prefer to sit back and enjoy the ride. I actually felt bad for the people who showed up just to get some pictures and not a real musical memory. Oh well, to each their own.

The set ended quickly! After which the lights came on and everyone scampered like when you pee on an ant farm. I hung around the bar and debated driving – yes, I know... One shouldn't drive when you're pondering this statement with beer in hand at a bar. Anyway, I decided to ask security if I could go on the tour bus. With confidence I explained who I was and Evie, the tour merch manager brought me on the bus. There sat Chino, Chino's girlfriend, Todd, Crook, Zach, and a security guard. Evie introduced me to everyone and Chino offered me a beer. We sat on the bus for an hour or so telling jokes, smoking up, and listening to Elvis and other good music off Chino's laptop. Other bands left early and hit too much snow heading into Boise, ID. They turned back, so obviously Team Sleep didn't even try to leave, I got to chat and hang out with them all until like 6am. Chino and I passed some jokes back and forth, one of which I started laughing before the punch line – the smoke in the air didn't help – before I could finish the joke Chino was laughing at me saying I was like his uncle who could never finish a joke. He told a good joke, but like me fucked up on the punch line, at the moment I can't remember it, it'll come to me later on.

It's comical to see anyone using an apple to smoke out of, let alone a world re-noun musician as well as someone who makes a lot of money... Chino later found a small pipe, but went back to the apple in between flipping through new tunes from his laptop. His girlfriend was quiet, but told me she would kill me if Chino and I went to the bar. She told me this with a smile and two of Zach's drum sticks in her hand. She pointed the sticks towards as if those heavily worn drum sticks would be the weapon.

I had a long conversation with Todd, and I must say, he is really chill, and just plain cool. I asked him if he saw the opening bands, he replied, "Honestly, I get too nervous before I go on stage." That was interesting to hear. We spoke about his teaching career over in China, I asked why Rick played guitar during Ataraixa and Todd played the bass, he said Rick wrote the riffs and Todd didn't even know how to play it. While on the bus Todd drank I think four bottles of water, didn't go to the bathroom once. Anytime I grabbed a Pacifico Chino or Todd told me cold ones were in the icebox, I told them I prefer warm beer. They were all very pleasant.

Rick came onto the bus and asked me where he could get smokes; I said there is a store down the street so I took a walk with him. Literally ten sets into the trip he said, "fuck this", and jumped in front of a cab. We got to a liquor store but it was closed, got another cab back to the tour bus, upon leaving Rick found a pack of smokes in his jacket. He then offered me to go to an afterhours bar next to El Corazon. We stayed in there for an hour or so and had a couple drinks. I had no idea that bar was in the building, it didn't make sense. It was a nice layout, but not open to the public, hell, I would know I've been around the bars of El Corazon hundreds of times and I've never seen this bar hid back inside a building.

Rick accidently spilt his drink onto Evie's lap and that ended the time at the bar. We went back to the tour bus. Chino was talking with Crook and Todd, when I walked in he told me not to repeat anything his said. In all honesty, I don't remember who he was talking shit about; it wasn't that big a deal. I asked Crook about the song 'Just Kidding', he told me that it was recorded in his room with a camera, so any demo you hear - is camera quality sound. Around 6am Todd said he was going to sleep, and Chino and his girlfriend left for the hotel around the corner. We all said our good byes, and lastly I thanked everyone for the show, and left the bus with only Zach lying on the couch.

For everyone that knows me understands how much a fan of Deftones and Team Sleep I am, so you can all understand how rad this night was. Not just because I got to meet them, but because no other outsiders were there, and they treated me like I was one of their own.

Best $15 I've ever spent. I think I called some people while on the bus, so I hope I didn't wake you all up. Sorry :)

13hourstoparadise

White Wrist

great night man! Cool. I wish i had that lucky. So...no photos?

No questions about deftones album? tour? nothing?

just chill? Congrat.

13hourstoparadise

My camera was stolen. When I told Todd he was so understanding, handed me another beer. :)

Since I've met them so many times this setting was just us, hanging out. Chino's girlfriend was there and no way in hell would she like pictures (I assume). I didn't want to be rude, I just wanted to enjoy the shit we were doing talking about, etc.

Chino sat up off the tour bus to grab the apple or a pipe of the desk and when he walked back an orange pill was where he sat up from. He picked it up and tossed it in the garbage, just a side note.

I get heated when people talk about his weight, which is back to white pony era. But it doesn't matter, and I felt as his new girlfriend is keeping him in check. When Rick came onto the bus he mentioned the bar, Chino looked at Todd and me as if we should go, I said, "hell yeah, what time is it, can we make last call?" That's when Chino's girlfriend told me she would kill me in a jokingly way.

I didn't bring up Deftones because I was talking a lot with Todd. I just wanted to stick to music and Team Sleep.
Rick is fucking rad, we walked around drunk as hell from the bar trying to find the tour bus which was right in front of us. We called some girls I know who live right by El Corazon, but they were asleep. Rick said he is married but wouldn't mind hanging out.

He also told me Tinfed is no longer together.

I'll add to this later, leaving work.

unfamed

That sounds like fun. A bit envious. Also, King Diamond was on the album.
never odd or even

E-Money

Wow that sounds like such an amazing night!! Im glad to hear that they are all chill too.

Im going to the Tempe Az. show on the 12th. and im dying to meet them.  I dont need to have a night like yours, I just want to say hi and thank them for making such beaufiful music.  Wheres the best place to catch them before or after the show? I have the whole day off and Im completely devoting the day to team sleep.  Im thinking about just camping out all day until I run into one of them.

any advice?

thanks

wither-I

you played it well my friend. no pics and deftones, good job. if your a noob you get the boot right

"coming into the nearness of distance"

tarkil

Awesome...
I'm happy for you man... :)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

weakcure

Sounds like fun and something you'll always remember. These guys are so good to their fans.

Zevaka

Deftones-argentina

Quote from: wither-I on Dec 07, 2007, 02:19 AM
you played it well my friend. no pics and deftones, good job. if your a noob you get the boot right

jealous.

Deadradio

awesome story. Reminds me of the time me and my friends hung out with ...Trail of Dead in Madison, Wiscon.

lxix

did they, by any chance, mention when they plan to drop the first free EP??

13hourstoparadise

Yes, Crook will be releasing EP's at the end of the tour, no exact ETA, but 'New Guitar' will be one of them, as well as 'March'.

13hourstoparadise

Quote from: stapezee on Dec 07, 2007, 12:34 AM
Wow that sounds like such an amazing night!! Im glad to hear that they are all chill too.

Im going to the Tempe Az. show on the 12th. and im dying to meet them.  I dont need to have a night like yours, I just want to say hi and thank them for making such beaufiful music.  Wheres the best place to catch them before or after the show? I have the whole day off and Im completely devoting the day to team sleep.  Im thinking about just camping out all day until I run into one of them.

any advice?

thanks

Totally, get there a few hours before the doors open, wait for the gray tour bus with red stripes. Zach seems to walk around the venue a lot, but stick around the bus, you'll meet them all. After the show too! Lurk but don't seem like a crazy fan who just wants an autograph and picture, they are down right cool. Rick will chat, Todd is friendly as hell.

Have a great time bro, good damn they play a great show!

13hourstoparadise

Quote from: wither-I on Dec 07, 2007, 02:19 AM

Exactly...

Also, the security guard/rhode, tall guy with a lot of ink is fucking cool, I think his name was Travis? Nothing like the Deftones tour manager/security. I hate that old piece of shit.

13hourstoparadise

Oh yeah, Chino told me once most of the new (Deftones) album is done, before it's mastered and produced they are going on an 18 month tour! All over the world and back through the states a couple times!!! :)

Zevaka

sharinglungs

Quote from: 13hourstoparadise on Dec 08, 2007, 12:24 AM
Oh yeah, Chino told me once most of the new (Deftones) album is done, before it's mastered and produced they are going on an 18 month tour! All over the world and back through the states a couple times!!! :)

i'd say this is a lie :P.. because im sure they're not almost done and im sure they'll drop the album before an 18 month tour