Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

We NEED musical revolution

Started by whodunit?, Nov 08, 2008, 11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theis

Quote from: mr.sinister on Nov 11, 2008, 10:13 PM
I don't think there will be a musical revolution that will catch my attention and make me like it. What shits hot right now? This??!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8F5YSA1Oz0

what....the....fuck.....

oldgentlovecraft

Lol just like Hollywood Undead.  There's this strange trend of mixing electronic/dance with rap and screamo (not real screamo, the newer kind) and the kids eat that shit up.  It's like crunk music for the emo twats.

Alvar

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Nov 12, 2008, 05:28 PM
Lol just like Hollywood Undead.  There's this strange trend of mixing electronic/dance with rap and screamo (not real screamo, the newer kind) and the kids eat that shit up.  It's like crunk music for the emo twats.

sounds like taking out the most shitty elements of the worst styles of music to create a super-uber-bullshit sound

last.fm/user/z0z0bra
The streets have gone dark. They've been dark for days. We board up the house. Hide upstairs and wait!

oldgentlovecraft

I know!  Part of the reason I can't stand newer rap and hiphop is because it only serves the purpose of creating new dance moves, coming up with new slang, or talking about money, sex, and drugs.  Now we have this fucked up mix for white kids who don't like rap.  Great.

mr.sinister

Whatever happened to Hip-hop? That genre is embarrassing now.

Yeah people do actually think of BrokenCyde as the shit. And MTV will whore them out to the world once they get their hands on them. Did any one read the bullshit comments they left on Youtube? Horrible spelling. Today's youth suxxx.

fireflyry

In my mind the problem is it's all been done before, usually better.

We are also a generation that has been exposed to a huge variety of music and like anything I think over-exposure leads to staleness or a general complacency.

We tend to gorge on music now, thanks mostly to the internet.Personally I found this "staleness" less of an issue in the 90's when a paycheck only afforded me the luxury of one CD a week which was the end result of 1-2 hours in a record shop deciding what to buy, listening to it hard out for over a week, reading the cover back to back, talking to friends about it dissecting every song, etc, etc.

Music is to easy to dismiss these days hence I really think it's our perception and over-indulgence at fault more than the music scene itself.

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

whodunit?

Well, on one hand the Internet is such important tool for me in exploring musical world.

But on the other hand, the tear appears in my eye when I think about hours spent on copying audio cassettes and being grateful for every second of new music.

goldpony

damn we are old. i second both of the above posts
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

Jizzlobber

i 3rd the above posts..almost brings a tear to my eye to think that  the world was once a good place, where people had good times and appreciated the simplicity of being able to buy a couple of cd's, proudly have them slotted into your cd tower...

nowadays people have 40 gigs worth of music and its like a bragging competition, "oh ive got 40 gigs worth of music in my computer " .."oh, well i have 45 gigs"

<

mr.sinister

I will always buy CD's. It makes me appreciate the musicians work a little more and the artwork is awesome.The digital age is well and all, but I will always buy  my CD's, even if someone gives me a face, "you still buy cd's?"

tarkil

Quote from: fireflyry on Nov 12, 2008, 10:48 PM
We tend to gorge on music now, thanks mostly to the internet.Personally I found this "staleness" less of an issue in the 90's when a paycheck only afforded me the luxury of one CD a week which was the end result of 1-2 hours in a record shop deciding what to buy, listening to it hard out for over a week, reading the cover back to back, talking to friends about it dissecting every song, etc, etc.

* sigh *
Those were the good days, yes...

That's why I'm still buying cds, but I'm definitely an exception among nearly everyone I know !!

:-\

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

oldgentlovecraft

I download and buy.  Once if find an album I'll replace the burnt copy with the actual disc.  That's how it should be done if someone likes to download.  I'm spreading the word, enjoying the music, and eventually supporting the band.  Some of the shit I listen to is impossible to find even online.

B33HIV3

Quote from: mr.sinister on Nov 12, 2008, 07:24 PM
Whatever happened to Hip-hop? That genre is embarrassing now.

Yeah people do actually think of BrokenCyde as the shit. And MTV will whore them out to the world once they get their hands on them. Did any one read the bullshit comments they left on Youtube? Horrible spelling. Today's youth suxxx.

This forum was really goofy . It was only released in the year 2008:

Q-Tip – The Renaissance
Elzhi – The Preface
Immortal Technique – 3rd World
Nas – Untitled
Atmosphere – When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold
GZA/Genius – Pro Tools
Jedi Mind Tricks – A History Of Violence
Del The Funky Homosapien – Eleventh Hour
KRS-One – Maximum Strength
Killah Priest – Behind The Stained Glass
RZA – Digi Snacks
Cappadonna – The Cappatalize Project
Prodigy – H.N.I.C. Pt. 2

But this topic still remains relevant today; some artists continue to pave their own way. A recent song by Kieran The Light - "Found" illustrates that this issue persists. However, I believe that if people search, they will always find what they're looking for.