Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

The shape of punk that came...

Started by skinnypuppy, Nov 23, 2008, 09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skinnypuppy

It's been a decade, who do you think Refused is most proud of?

Poison the Well
Bring Me the Horizon
Suicide Silence
Architects
SOME GIRLS
United Nations
The Mistake
Converge
American Nightmare
Narrows
Trap Them
Glassjaw

Jedidiah Solomon

I've only got a thousand words to say to you

BAD MUTHA FUCKIN' BRAINS

devlin

The (International) Noise Conspiracy :)

defskull

bright lights, big city

i'd say either Poison the Well or Dillinger Escape Plan

but damn, I gotta listen to that album again, its been too long
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

skinnypuppy

Quote from: Jedidiah Solomon on Nov 23, 2008, 04:23 PM

BAD MUTHA FUCKIN' BRAINS

Nah, doesn't count haha. You fail. bad brians helped creat punk, and then a decade later Refused fucked with it... now, a decade from then, we're left wondering, what came?

I think the punk scene was let down after 'the shape of punk to come' - I think Denis let himself down with T(I)NC. United Nations gave me the idea for this thread with the track "the shape of punk that never came" and while I agree for the most part with the track title, I think Refused did pave the way for some stellar music. I know Refused are proud of PTW, considering they produced Versions...

DEP is a great example of the punk that came. I agree completely.

indychinoluv

Quote from: skinnypuppy on Nov 24, 2008, 06:42 AM
Quote from: Jedidiah Solomon on Nov 23, 2008, 04:23 PM

BAD MUTHA FUCKIN' BRAINS

Nah, doesn't count haha. You fail. bad brians helped creat punk, and then a decade later Refused fucked with it... now, a decade from then, we're left wondering, what came?

I think the punk scene was let down after 'the shape of punk to come' - I think Denis let himself down with T(I)NC. United Nations gave me the idea for this thread with the track "the shape of punk that never came" and while I agree for the most part with the track title, I think Refused did pave the way for some stellar music. I know Refused are proud of PTW, considering they produced Versions...

DEP is a great example of the punk that came. I agree completely.

Cool post dude. I've always thought of DEP as a metal band.

United Nations dissapointed me

Paint Your Lips

Quote from: indychinoluv on Nov 25, 2008, 12:14 AM
United Nations dissapointed me
Yeah, everyone should lsten to Orchid or Ampere instead.

First of all, what a weird list. Secondly, I think we have to look at the bands that are equally innovative as Refused was on "The Shape of Punk to come". To me, the band that has improved and renewed the genre the most is clearly Poison the Well. They continue to renew and alter their sound and blend punk with a lot of other genres and add a lot of instruments not heard in punk before.

My two cents.

Alvar

genghis tron

or does that already count as the punk that came after the punk that came after the punk....

last.fm/user/z0z0bra
The streets have gone dark. They've been dark for days. We board up the house. Hide upstairs and wait!

alvarezbassist17

oh man, this is hard.  I'd say poison the well is like the best reflection of the style that refused were trying to proliferate, but i dunno, there's other good bands like underoath (flame me if you want, they've put out some good cds) or rise against, protest the hero, misery signals (who i don't really enjoy, but they definitely employ that sort of style), the fall of troy, fear before the march of flames, and every time i die, among many others.  but then you have the further reaches, bands like DEP and converge. 

the world of music definitely could have sucked if it weren't for their conversion of punk into heaviness, and the consequent rise of hardcore and its offshoots (deathcore, yummy)

bright lights, big city

mmm yea deathcore is likely my new favorite genre
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

deepest_ocean

by the way anyone seen the documentary made of refused? I can't remember the name of that anymore, it's not really that special but if you like them maby you should check it out.

skinnypuppy

Refused Are Fucking Dead - DVD
orgasm in my mouth. I love the DVD. it explains all the shit that happened to the band.

Deftones-argentina

In my oppinion that is a little too overexaggerated. I can understand that pressions can get big with 4 or 5 people 24/7 together with things like labels and things like being annoying and so on, but come on, they made it look like they were the survivors of the Titanic...

With that said, I like refused.

skinnypuppy

I don't really feel as if they are the ones stating they changed punk, but rather everyone else saying it, and them accepting it.

ben

They haven't influenced anyone, because no one else has made a record like them.  Most of the album isn't even hardcore, it's just punk/jazz with a lot of cultural influences.  Poison the Well sounding like Refused?  They just record albums in the same place.

but with that said, if you are saying they have influenced people, they have done nothing but to make a horrible wave of shitty bands. 

ronnie dobbs

Quote from: ben on Dec 03, 2008, 06:09 PM
They haven't influenced anyone, because no one else has made a record like them.  Most of the album isn't even hardcore, it's just punk/jazz with a lot of cultural influences.  Poison the Well sounding like Refused?  They just record albums in the same place.

but with that said, if you are saying they have influenced people, they have done nothing but to make a horrible wave of shitty bands. 

That is pretty much happens when any true infuential bands appear, a thousand shitty clones.

Here are the liner notes for the CD. Each song title is in italics, and instead of the lyrics, there is the meaning to every song. This CD deserves all the praise it gets.

01. Worms Of The Senses / Faculties Of The Skull
02. Liberation Frequency
03. The Deadly Rythm
04. Summer Holidays Vs. Punkroutine
05. Bruitist Pome #5
06. New Noise
07. The Refused Party Program
08. Protest Song '68
09. Refused Are Fuckin Dead
10. The Shape Of Punk To Come
11. Tannh䵳er / Deriv耼/p>
12. The Apollo Programme Was A Hoax

http://www.burningheart.com/refused/refmanifest1.htm

No More Sugar

dennis lyxzen is a failure.
the world couldn't control what Refused created..
QuoteSome one tell me shut up.

Earthman

I don't know who these bands are, alls I know is the best Rock n Roll band that ever came was the Bad Brains, the best punk band that ever came was the bad brains, the best hardcore band that ever came was the bad brains, the best alternative band that ever played was the bad brains, one of the best metal bands that ever played was the bad brains and one of the best reggae bands that ever played was the bad brains.

No More Sugar

Quote from: Earthman on May 06, 2009, 02:20 AM
I don't know who these bands are, alls I know is Bad Brains is one of the most influential bands in punk.

fix'd.

if you don't like the feel of the post hardcore movement and whatever name you have for the style of music popular with scene kids so aptly named "Hardcore"(when honestly, it's not true to the word Hardcore whatsoever in my opinion) you won't like any of those bands.(EXCEPT GLASSJAW, as GJ is one of those bands that I would actually call Hardcore, as they stuck to the book.). I'll also note that these days, in that specific "category" of music, the lines seperating hardcore, Metalcore, grindcore, and Death Metal have all been erased and fused into a genre filled with shitty music that resulted from a failed experiment called Post Hardcore generally believed to be started with Fugazi, but was brought to mainstream by none other than the punk band Refused.

United Nations is amazing...possibly one of the only almost "grind" bands I like. I also enjoy The Locust.

QuoteSome one tell me shut up.