Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Crosses [Chino Moreno's side project]

Started by deftuner, Feb 06, 2010, 04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

Ok, a lot of thoughts.

The guitar intro is definitely Team Sleep-esque, but when Chino comes on, it's pure Deftones. I really dig the siren sci-fi synths buried underneath the guitars. The organ at the end was nice too. I could be wrong, but the part with Chino is probably the chorus portion of the song. As for his voice, I think he sounds good. Cool melodies too.

At this point, I'm wondering if we're going to get a full-length album or an EP. I'm under the impression that they have A LOT of material. I stumbled across the Crosses last.fm (different from the THHOLYGHST one I posted earlier in the thread). Here's the songs listed:

California Time Machine
gOth bb
Mist Mix 1
†††
Bitches Brew Verse & Bridge VOX
Melody Club - Fever Fever
Birds Of Fire MIX 2
Road Song Vocal MIX 2
Lace Instrumental MIX 1
The Mutiny FULL MIX 1
Carameldansen
Option T Mix 1
This is a Trick

As you can see, a lot of these songs haven't been posted as clips (unless they have been renamed). There's even more on the THHOLYGHST last.fm. Some of them:

Stevie Nicks
OCT 1ST 1987
Night Passage
Under The Sun
The Epilogue
Will Vox

Who knows what are just rough ideas and what are full songs, but either way, these dudes have been busy.

As for the religious overtones of Crosses, music is all about expression. If someone wants to express spirituality through their music, all the more power to them. If they want to satirize religion or bash it, that's also acceptable. :)

There Will Be Blood

E-Money

I could be completely wrong but I don't think there will be a huge religious vibe to it.  I'm expecting a much more love/ emotional feel to the songs...  at least thats what i've gotten so far.  

iceache

That scream at the end of the teaser was fucking insane.

Corleone

Not going to listen till the release, cool that it's soon.

Inkblades

Quote from: stunt-r on Jul 27, 2011, 02:37 AM

Quote from: iceache on Jul 27, 2011, 01:26 AM
Quote from: stunt-r on Jul 27, 2011, 01:23 AM
trippy ass video...love the sound

the new tattoo, this video and side project...chino isn't the same anymore...ever since SNW he seems to be a completely different person.

Yeah, he actually functions as a musician now. It's awesome.

Not what I was referring to, ass hat.

If you're trying to say he functions now, what about the other 21 years of making music? He has been pretty successful to be dysfunctional...

I was referring to his way of thinking now. I love deftones, and I'm usually into any projects or collabs that Chino has been a part of...but he's into some weird shit now.

It's no mystery that the vast majority of musicians are not religious, and sing about their disbelief in it. But his new tattoo, this new project, some of the newer art work...just some bizarre shit. When Chi was around there was a completely different side of Chino I feel.

Me personally, I have always been religious and have chosen not to mix my music taste and religion together...I'm just gonna do myself a big favor and NOT look any further into the meaning of the project "crosses" or any of the lyrics...just enjoy the sound. Hard to not see something deeper though when there is 3 crosses stuck on the screen in a row, and weird people in masks doing strange shit...

That's just my $.02.

I dunno. A lot of Chino's style has always been a kind of left-field and avant garde. His lyrics have always had the weird, cryptic elements (Korea, anyone?). Go check the Team Sleep Myspace. They have been putting bizarre (but also very cool) pictures on there since '05.

Menos el Oso

I wonder if Chino will perform some of his Crosses material live, later on in the future.

skinnypuppy

i like religious music to be honest. hella passionate.

mastermind

It will all be released Aug. 2nd by the way.

Inkblades

Hmmmm.

Vesanic

Quote from: iceache on Jul 27, 2011, 06:30 AM
That scream at the end of the teaser was fucking insane.

Meh, it's just a random inhale with some effects.

iceache

Quote from: mastermind on Jul 27, 2011, 10:59 AM

proof?

Also, who's the drummer for Crosses I wonder?

Lets figure out the lyrics in the teaser.

This is what I have so far, im not 100% on some of it
QuoteWe'll drink from the waves
and feel our soul
we'll fall asleep on the graves(not 100% that he says graves)
and seal our soul
can't choke on the waves
reveal our souls
we'd fall asleep at the graves
and seal our soul

There Will Be Blood

UrZ*

Quote from: iceache on Jul 27, 2011, 06:25 PM
Quote from: mastermind on Jul 27, 2011, 10:59 AM

proof?

Also, who's the drummer for Crosses I wonder?

Lets figure out the lyrics in the teaser.

This is what I have so far, im not 100% on some of it
QuoteWe'll drink from the waves
and feel our soul
we'll fall asleep on the graves(not 100% that he says graves)
and seal our soul
can't choke on the waves
reveal our souls
we'd fall asleep at the graves
and seal our soul

We'll drink from the waves
and fill our soul
we fall asleep on the grid(s)
and seal our soul
can't choke on the waves
reveal our soul
we'd fall asleep on the grid(s)
and seal our soul

(remember beware.. FILL, cup, drink it..) ;-)

And somewhere, There's someone who cares. With a heart of gold, To have and to hold.

theis

Quote from: iceache on Jul 26, 2011, 10:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo2lJBa0wGE

Sounds promising.

It's no mystery that the vast majority of musicians are not religious, and sing about their disbelief in it. But his new tattoo, this new project, some of the newer art work...just some bizarre shit. When Chi was around there was a completely different side of Chino I feel.

Not quite sure what you're implying here; that he is religious or not?

Isn't his new tattoo a tattoo of The Baphomet?

Hey, I'm confused as well.

iceache

That sounds like an album closer, especially the end part

TheSeeker1080

Quote from: stunt-r on Jul 27, 2011, 10:31 PM
Not sure if these have been seen yet, but pretty low view count. So I figured I would share.

Yeah, I uploaded those a few weeks ago. I got the clips from a link someone had posted on here. Those are the first videos I've ever uploaded on youtube so I didn't expect them to get a lot of views. But if you search crosses chino moreno on youtube they're at least coming up on the first page. Most of the other snippets were really short and didn't sound that impressive so I picked the longest / best ones, although I noticed a few snippets clearly went together but I didn't have the software to splice them together without the .1 second pause.

Quote from: theis on Jul 28, 2011, 01:06 AM
Quote from: iceache on Jul 26, 2011, 10:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo2lJBa0wGE

Sounds promising.

Not quite sure what you're implying here; that he is religious or not?

Isn't his new tattoo a tattoo of The Baphomet?

Hey, I'm confused as well.

I noticed that video is pretty weird too, like she is blessing them with holy water or something but why the mask? Also women aren't usually priests (they are but it is rare) then all the people raise their right arm they're saying something you can't make out before they kneel down making the cross. then it shows a hooded / masked person on a pulpit with a fan? A bit esoteric imo. But the music, the actual music and the lyrics at least in this song aren't really esoteric and to me don't reference anything religious.
None of the Crosses clips I've heard so far sound religious or esoteric. And the only thing that sounds religious is the one where he sings "watching the holy ghost."

As for the tattoo, yeah it is Baphomet. here's what he said in an interview about it:

"On a completely unrelated note. I was looking at photos from the Big Day Out and noticed the demon tattoo on your right bicep. When did you get that done?"

"Oh, the baphomet? I got that a few months ago in Belgium."

"Is there a significance behind it?"

"I don’t know. I mean, I have other religious tattoos as well. I like the art a lot. I’m really into religious art, but I don’t feel too strongly about any one religion. I just take it as it looks. It’s probably the only tattoo I’ve got that I really appreciate, and really like. I wanted a baphomet, and I had a guy draw it up the way I wanted it. He did it perfect, so it’s like, you know, something fun to look at."

Hmm, this is the same person who thought it was cool to have a weird picture in the SNW booklet that has a Bible verse from Revelation but it is written in Arabic. Again, pretty strange, esoteric stuff.
Also Baphomet came from the corruption of "mahomet" which is the latinization of "Mohammed." Then about 300 years later when they started torturing some of remaining Knights Templar it showed up in the transcripts of the their "trials" as a term for a pagan idol. Baphomet is usually depicted as the horned goat headed figure making the "as above so below" hand gesture. So that kind of ties in to so-called "Illuminati" as well. Which one could argue why a musician would have it in the first place, well a musician that is on a major record label at least.