Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Crosses [Chino Moreno's side project]

Started by deftuner, Feb 06, 2010, 04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSeeker1080

Quote from: iceache on Aug 03, 2011, 03:48 AM
http://shaunlopez.tumblr.com/post/8405953551

lol nice.

Oh and lyrics have been posted a few pages back , but nice to have them all on one post on a more recent page.

downtownpony

God I am diggin the shit out of this!

skinnypuppy

Don't love or hate it. It sounds really compressed. Only had one 'wow' moment for me and judging by the clips I was expecting to be in tears at how good it was. No big thing. It's ok. Not complaining, just saying I don't love it. Excited for more material either way. Also, didn't care too much for the lyrics but I thought the vocals were really good.

Epstein

really really like it. There are elements that do sound "witch house-ish" but you could also say theres a lot of dark wave/cold wave stuff in it. As much as Lopez might want to deny it, theres more then enough sonically to say they borrowed from Witch House be it synth wise (yes i also get it, not the first band or last to use digital and analog synths) and image wise (which I find is pretty boring to be honest)
Hell I like the idea of a rock band/witch house project (yeah I get it,  witch house is the first internet genre or hell internet meme genre) but there is some stuff by a band like OoOOo that is interesting. For example Option rules hard. I like the idea that the song kind of goes somewhere that I totally didnt expect it to in terms of vocally and synth wise. The last min of that song is probably some of the best stuff chino has put to tape (er well digitally).None of this really is surprising to me. I mean hell i wouldnt be surprised if the next side project Chino does sounds like My Bloody Valentine full on shoegaze project. Who the hell knows, who cares?

On the flip side, for those offended that places like ALTERED ZONES and PITCHFORK dont "get it" (in terms of the nu metal comment those places have made), Deftones have not done them selves too many favors of distancing themselves from the "nu metal" world. I mean right before saturday night wrist came out, didnt they do shows with korn? It is what it is. I hate that stuff but I get why there are some people that cant back the Deftones, it's stupid but what can you do?

patrick

Dont know what the fuck witch house is but this is like Chino living out his Depeche Mode fantasy.  Overall I like it...not Deftones of course but good shit.  I think Chino sounds great...nobody sounds like him.  Gotta say though that the spooky synth sounds made me laugh a couple times.

Epstein

Yeah I think DM is more of an influence on this than people think. Though maybe or maybe not, it wouldn't surprise me though if Chino and Lopez are fans of Cold Cave...

spitfire

Quote from: patrick on Aug 03, 2011, 06:47 AM
this is like Chino living out his Depeche Mode fantasy.

best description i have read so far about Crosses

patrick

DM was my first thought.  My gf is gonna love this shit. 

E-Money

spitfire

Quote from: E-Money on Aug 03, 2011, 07:16 AM
† kind of reminds me of NIN...
i would say How to Destroy Angels with a male singer

TheSeeker1080

I think (maybe) Crosses using the 3 cross symbolism because of the story when Jesus was crucified with the 2 thieves. One of the was the 'good' thief and the other was 'bad', or something like that, don't remember exactly. But maybe having three crosses (besides that odd numbers are better aesthetically) represent Jesus and the good and bad thieves, somehow like an allegory for the choice we have in life to be good or evil. I donno, just something that came to my mind, I'm pretty tired so it probably doesn't make sense.

Inkblades

As much as I am digging this, I think the best has yet to come. Believe that.

I also want to give props to one Mr. Shaun Lopez. SL has given him shit in the past (myself included), but I think the man is an excellent musician and producer. Kudos.

Frequency_Chemist

Quote from: skinnypuppy on Aug 03, 2011, 05:47 AM
Don't love or hate it. It sounds really compressed. Only had one 'wow' moment for me and judging by the clips I was expecting to be in tears at how good it was. No big thing. It's ok. Not complaining, just saying I don't love it. Excited for more material either way. Also, didn't care too much for the lyrics but I thought the vocals were really good.

Pretty much sums it up for me. Production kind of ruined it for me a little bit. I still think the material is good just could've been produced better.

Inkblades

Eh, production on this is dopeasfuck. Ya'll tripping.

Inkblades

I can't believe V doesn't like #4. Thought that would be right up his alley.

Inkblades

By the way, I was listening to the radio before. Yeah, this doesn't sound like anything on there. This ain't some Taylor Swift/Regina Spektor shit.

Slacker

for some reason a couldnt make the free download to happen, so i payed and got the damn flacs, cause its kinda the only way to go in the 21th fucking century.

option is to good to be true, the rest of the songs are alright, and i loved the guitar driven chorus of thholyghst, for the sake of a change.

on my first listen, i too would have liked more vocal work from chino, as double tracking and back ups. but i can see, and appreciate the minimalistic approach they were trying to achieve.

im approving this shit. certified biatch!

lithium

The lyrics to op†ion are beautiful.
💩

E-Money

Quote from: Nuno Cal on Aug 03, 2011, 07:32 AM
Quote from: E-Money on Aug 03, 2011, 07:16 AM
† kind of reminds me of NIN...
i would say How to Destroy Angels with a male singer

i was talking about the last track on the ep.  tracks 1-4 dont remind me of NIN at all...

Moz

Man, I like this sound. Bought the EP of course.

BTW, the sound reminds me a lot of A Perfect Circle for some reason...