Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

from_musings

"going to areas they haven't gone before......aggressive mixed with dreamy...... new sounds..... new songwriting methods.... songs structures in different cool ways"   :o ....

snw9

Looks like Chino is happy only because Steph is giving into the stuff he writes....lol nonetheless, the description of this album sounds fresh and exciting.
Code: [Select]

from_musings

Quote from: snw9 on Jul 13, 2012, 04:00 AM
the description of this album sounds fresh and exciting.

yeah! almost sounds to good to be true. but i think chino was bad ass in that interview. if a car sales man is going to sell a car, and he only talk about it's positive qualities, it may give an impression of non-credibility.. like  "um .. nothing is that good." However,if the seller says 2 slightly negative things,then the other, let's say 10 positive qualities, get a far more powerful impact and credibilty. whether what chino said is true or not, I think he did an excellent job in that interview. he speaks very positively about it, but because he also says that his lyrics doesn't really mean anything, some cool words here and there, so the listeners can fantisize up something themselves, to me honesty like that colours the other things said in that interview, it makes the musical description seem legit and therefore i'm getting pumped as fuck. he could easily say the lyrics mean something but won't tell, but he didn't. I'm impressed with him here, and even if there is no thought behind it, it makes him a cool confident guy to me, keeping his feet on the ground like that. dam.. that article you guys...

Robotsatemygrandma

Heh I love the speculation around here. Some of you guys crack me up hahaha!

"Futuristic" and "dreamy", wonderful descriptive terms I like attached to describe the band. I'm excited for this shit! I wonder if they're going to go more with a shoegaze riffing approach with some 80's synth influence. Textures and ambiance. But, obviously in their sinister way.

rock_n_frost

crosses already does the 80's synth influence

I just want Deftones to use VOILIN for the first time.
They never did...
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

from_musings

man,that's what i keep telling ya... eight chino projects on the side can affect deftones music and why you love it.
now you won't appreciate 80's sounds in deftones because crosses has a lot of it. it makes you wanting violins, and maybe you would absolutely love it in deftones, if they ever did it. but what if palms would use violins? then,if there will be another deftones record after this, you don't want violins because it has been done! although violins would make you love deftones even more, suddenly you stop wanting this.. because of side projects!

rock_n_frost

That wouldnt stop me wanting to hear violin in Deftones but you may be right.
Quote from: Vesanic
You used to call me on my cellphone

Robotsatemygrandma

Quote from: rock_n_frost on Jul 13, 2012, 02:58 PM
crosses already does the 80's synth influence

I just want Deftones to use VOILIN for the first time.
They never did...

So because of what Shawn did in Crosses, Frank or Sergio or ??? can't do in Deftones? Kinda lame. I want them to do whatever the fuck they want. Uninhibited and make the best album they can.

And yea... a violin and a cello would be bad ass. Those two can be strangely haunting and beautiful. That's why I love orchestral and classical music.

What's up with the anti Side Project banter?  :o  Let em do what they want to do, who cares.

sing blue silver

There are 5 guys in the band. I'm sure they all have their own influence to bring in and if I know anything about Deftones they're not gonna let Chino call ALL shots. Also this sounds like a very collaborative effort so I expect all of their personalities to come through. Maybe there will be a hit of what Chino does in his side projects but run that through the 4 other members and it could come out completely fresh and different.

from_musings

"we're not trying to compact songs into 3,5 minutes because we want the songs to go wherever they want"
this + the other descriptions of the song writing seem rather unusual and out of the ordinary for them... a little... unorthodox .
since not 1 person here think it will be a dark record, does this mean it will be a "happy eros" ?  :o yes.. i'm actually comparing two records i haven't heard..

BillyNo.9

Quote from: from_musings on Jul 14, 2012, 09:13 PM
yes.. i'm actually comparing two records i haven't heard..

This sort of shit right here. Stop it.

Sugartolove

Good to see my scan is getting good use.  Anyone else think Chi deserves more than a tiny footnote with incorrect information..

from_musings

Quote from: TheShade1989 on Jul 10, 2012, 08:43 PM
I like chinos guitar-playing, and if he and Stephen are working together with less tension, it can only be a good thing.

i'd like to think so too. but then again,s/t and wp, (wp which is your favourite record) was born under tension and some "working seperately", and they ended up fine.just saying

Quote from: BillyNo.9 on Jul 14, 2012, 09:31 PM
Quote from: from_musings on Jul 14, 2012, 09:13 PM
yes.. i'm actually comparing two records i haven't heard..

This sort of shit right here. Stop it.

that's not for you to decide  ;)

TheShade1989

Am I the only one here who thinks that "futuristic" and "aggressive mixed with dreamy" are all descriptions they've used before, more or less? That said, I'm not saying he's lying or anything, and I can understand that he's saying the songs are longer and more free-flowing, not compact or simplified, so that's very cool, and I am very excited.

deftjess

Quote from: TheShade1989 on Jul 14, 2012, 11:41 PM
Am I the only one here who thinks that "futuristic" and "aggressive mixed with dreamy" are all descriptions they've used before, more or less? That said, I'm not saying he's lying or anything, and I can understand that he's saying the songs are longer and more free-flowing, not compact or simplified, so that's very cool, and I am very excited.

i think its you

one weak

no, you're not. i agree.

pony_01

it's marketing strategy

from_musings

i agree phrases like that are used a lot... if we take the "aggressive mixed with dreamy" description, different words have been used over the years like dynamic and diverse, but it boils down to the same thing in the end.
but let's say it's the "aggressive mixed with dreamy" term that has been used since wp til this day, what album, to you, does not fit into that description? maybe chino use it because it fits every album? so it really isn't the description that is repetitive, it's the albums?

iceache

holy fuck. Shut up. Get over it. Quit bitching. Bring it to the bullshit thread.