Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckles

Quote from: from_musings on Nov 13, 2012, 02:03 PM
Quote from: beansandcornbread on Nov 10, 2012, 04:49 AM
Quote from: sing blue silver on Nov 09, 2012, 08:45 PM
Nick produced one of coheed and cambria's worst albums, the 2 worst stone sour records, 2 very meh rush records, the 2 worst foo fighters records, the worst Alice in chains record and one of the worst deftones albums (DE). His track record is pretty bad. He seems like a nice dude but... Goddamn.

Couldn't agree less.  There are reasons bands like Foo Fighters, Rush, Alice In Chains, Thornley, Trivium, and Deftones want to work with him.  He's on fire weather you like it or not.

to be efficient and on fire in the studio and produce good music are two different things though. Silver talks about the end result and final product, you seem to talk about efficiency, that it's good for the label when the procedure is rapid and less costly bc of it
I'm a member of Sharing Leaks...

beansandcornbread

Quote from: chuckles on Nov 14, 2012, 03:45 AM
Quote from: from_musings on Nov 13, 2012, 02:03 PM
Quote from: beansandcornbread on Nov 10, 2012, 04:49 AM
Quote from: sing blue silver on Nov 09, 2012, 08:45 PM
Nick produced one of coheed and cambria's worst albums, the 2 worst stone sour records, 2 very meh rush records, the 2 worst foo fighters records, the worst Alice in chains record and one of the worst deftones albums (DE). His track record is pretty bad. He seems like a nice dude but... Goddamn.

Couldn't agree less.  There are reasons bands like Foo Fighters, Rush, Alice In Chains, Thornley, Trivium, and Deftones want to work with him.  He's on fire weather you like it or not.

to be efficient and on fire in the studio and produce good music are two different things though. Silver talks about the end result and final product, you seem to talk about efficiency, that it's good for the label when the procedure is rapid and less costly bc of it

No, I'm talking about the final product.  Saying his track record is pretty bad couldn't be farther from the truth.  If they turned out that bad artists wouldn't want to work with him again.  And just the opposite is happening.

pinkmaggit69

If it wasn't for Nick's ability to get the band off their ass and recording songs, Diamond Eyes would have finally been released today and Koi No Yokan wouldn't even exist!

Drinks won't stain this birth!

SomeOf

Can someone post the VISIONS scans please ?

luisch

Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

M1GHTY M4VS

Vega grabbed Chino's Raybans and Stef Troll-Faces about it without going on the internet :D Abe seems smaller than he is, Frank is asual casual

SomeOf

from_musings

to look at steph here and not smile yourself is impossible

bojosoto

Quote from: M1GHTY M4VS on Nov 14, 2012, 07:25 PM
Vega grabbed Chino's Raybans and Stef Troll-Faces about it without going on the internet :D Abe seems smaller than he is, Frank is asual casual
Abe is actually quite short. Long story short, when I met them I first saw this little guy in front of me with his back turned (shorter than me, and I'm not very tall at all) and I walked past him, glanced back and it was Abe!

SomeOf

Again, can someone re-post the VISIONS scans please ?

N0S3BLEED976

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Edit: Wow, those scans are actually much larger than I thought. Sorry!

SomeOf

slyartwork

DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com

versatile

(:

sing blue silver

defsteve

Kerrang!'s 250 Greatest Rock Songs Of 2012, which we unveiled today, has certainly got people talking - including Deftones' Chino Moreno, who filled Kerrang.com in on their track Goon Squad.

The song, taken from forthcoming album Koi No Yokan, features in our comprehensive list of the year in rock, but what is it alongside? Pick up this week's issue and join the debate below!

But for now, over to you, Chino...

Where and when was the song originally conceived?
Chino Moreno (vocals): "That was one of the first things that we wrote. In the first couple of weeks of writing for the new album we laid down about 25 songs and Goon Squad was one of the songs that survived the cutting down process. It just sort of unfolded from this guitar melody, soundscape kinda piece that builds and builds and then goes into this single note riff. It was a real collaboration between all the guys in the band. It wasn't like somebody came in and said, 'Hey, I have a song idea'. It grew between all of us."

You mention the riff - does that heavy downtuned feel evoke the feel of (2000's) White Pony for you?
"Possibly. I really like the sound of that riff and I guess you could say it's Deftones-esque. If you'd heard us before you could recognise that sound but on this record as a whole we've felt able to dip into different moods and sounds that reflect our whole catalogue and our whole career. We always like to try new things but at the same time still capture the emotion and excitement that we had when we first started out."

Do you enjoy using that sudden tempo shift between the dreamy intro and the heavy riff and dynamics?
"Yeah, absolutely. I love songs that take unexpected shifts. Too many songs, you hear the first 15 seconds and you've pretty much heard the whole song. That can work for some songs and artists but I like different textures and songs that pull you in different directions. This is probably one of our more straightforward songs to be honest but there are still a lot of different things going on in there."

Can you see Goon Squad being a big hitter live?
"We haven't actually played this one live yet. The album's only just come out and we've started easing a few songs like Poltergeist and Rosemary into the live set but we'll try out different songs as time goes on. It doesn't really come into our thought process when we're writing a song. We don't sit around and go, 'You know what would sound good live..?' But different songs do have a different impact when you play them live and I'm looking forward to trying this one out."

Lyrically, is it a bit of a dig at trends and musical fashionistas?
"It's tongue-in-cheek but yes, it's about that sort of thing - trends and fashions. In fact the title comes from the David Bowie song Fashion. There's a line in there where he sings, "We are the goon squad" and there's a little bit of a homage going on there."

Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

Slacker

Quote from: defsteve on Nov 22, 2012, 03:36 PM
Kerrang!'s 250 Greatest Rock Songs Of 2012, which we unveiled today, has certainly got people talking - including Deftones' Chino Moreno, who filled Kerrang.com in on their track Goon Squad.

The song, taken from forthcoming album Koi No Yokan, features in our comprehensive list of the year in rock, but what is it alongside? Pick up this week's issue and join the debate below!

But for now, over to you, Chino...

Where and when was the song originally conceived?
Chino Moreno (vocals): "That was one of the first things that we wrote. In the first couple of weeks of writing for the new album we laid down about 25 songs and Goon Squad was one of the songs that survived the cutting down process. It just sort of unfolded from this guitar melody, soundscape kinda piece that builds and builds and then goes into this single note riff. It was a real collaboration between all the guys in the band. It wasn't like somebody came in and said, 'Hey, I have a song idea'. It grew between all of us."

You mention the riff - does that heavy downtuned feel evoke the feel of (2000's) White Pony for you?
"Possibly. I really like the sound of that riff and I guess you could say it's Deftones-esque. If you'd heard us before you could recognise that sound but on this record as a whole we've felt able to dip into different moods and sounds that reflect our whole catalogue and our whole career. We always like to try new things but at the same time still capture the emotion and excitement that we had when we first started out."

Do you enjoy using that sudden tempo shift between the dreamy intro and the heavy riff and dynamics?
"Yeah, absolutely. I love songs that take unexpected shifts. Too many songs, you hear the first 15 seconds and you've pretty much heard the whole song. That can work for some songs and artists but I like different textures and songs that pull you in different directions. This is probably one of our more straightforward songs to be honest but there are still a lot of different things going on in there."

Can you see Goon Squad being a big hitter live?
"We haven't actually played this one live yet. The album's only just come out and we've started easing a few songs like Poltergeist and Rosemary into the live set but we'll try out different songs as time goes on. It doesn't really come into our thought process when we're writing a song. We don't sit around and go, 'You know what would sound good live..?' But different songs do have a different impact when you play them live and I'm looking forward to trying this one out."

Lyrically, is it a bit of a dig at trends and musical fashionistas?
"It's tongue-in-cheek but yes, it's about that sort of thing - trends and fashions. In fact the title comes from the David Bowie song Fashion. There's a line in there where he sings, "We are the goon squad" and there's a little bit of a homage going on there."

awesome