Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Dont Like...

Started by momo, May 04, 2010, 11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

It's the internet. Grow a spine.

wheresmysnare

The trouble is that this is the internet and no one really gives a shit about anything.

blixa

yeah yeah, we know it's the internet and no one gives a shit but people want to make this place different so people saying, "it's just the internet" doesn't cut it.

like the kfc thread, as heaven mentioned, i'm not even going to be bothered to go in there anymore. it was a bunch of people who i thought were mature reacting like little children. it was disappointing to say the least. people need to learn how to speak to one another if this place is to get any better, and you know what? it is just the internet, but it still is a place where a form of communication is used just like in real life.

wheresmysnare

Ahh Blixa once again you seek to intellectualize matters, wasn't the KFC thread bad enough!

Only joking.

I appreciate that people like to have a debate without getting completely gunned by others with opposing opinions. Every 'noob' on here faces the same fate everytime they go up against someone who posts for a living on SL. The problem is that the faceless nature of the internet strips away peoples inhibitions, they will type exactly what they think. This can be taken as either offensive or refreshing, the internet allows everyone to have tourrettes syndrome, they will say what their subconscious is thinking. saying someone is a cunt when you're losing an argument is just too easy.

blixa

you need to intellectualise the situation because we're seeing these threads appear more and more. i think everyone needs to work on the problem to attempt to make this place better. you're never going to fix it because you touched on the internet being a faceless entity where we can become anyone we want, but being civil is the most anyone can be.

sorry, i've been reading a lot of proust lately. i'm talking arty farty.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Quote from: blixa on May 05, 2010, 04:09 PM
yeah yeah, we know it's the internet and no one gives a shit but people want to make this place different so people saying, "it's just the internet" doesn't cut it.

So you're saying you think we should only talk about butterflies and puppies and rainbows and pat each other on the back just for existing?

Talking about shit that matters naturally turns a conversation into a large debate because we're human. We're opinionated. It's in our nature to defend our beliefs.

You cite the KFC thread as an example of people being immature and incapable of having a discussion, but everyone WAS having a discussion. You just chose to ignore the people that were actually saying something of merit because they disagreed with you. Corey, for example, posted these huge long replies explaining the things he believes and you would reply with something that ignores everything he said that mattered. And then, to top it off, the first time someone said something in your defense, you praised that person and said something along the lines of it being a "mature and articulate response". Sure a few people were intent on berating you for no real reason, but still, can't you either a) not respond to that or b) respond in a way that isn't "you're wrong for believing differently than I"? Do you not think that that will make the situation worse? You were fueling the fire, not extinguishing it.

And you're all acting as if there was a time in the history of SL/Deftonesworld of complete peace with no assholes and nobody trying to get a rise out of people. If you think otherwise, you're sadly mistaken. In case you don't remember, I happened to be on the receiving end of the most shit I've ever seen anyone take on here (except perhaps, Ross) and do I give a shit? No. It's the internet. You can either converse, have fun, and give people shit, or you can get all personal and bitchy and cry. One is fun and cool and friendly and one just makes people annoyed at you.

And Mariam, I wouldn't expect you to be so completely blinded by your own feelings as to not realize how much of a self-righteous asshole you were being.

And now that I've been serious for once...

...penis.

wheresmysnare

People can try and be nice but the tension will be bubbling away under the surface, much like real life i suppose. Think we should embrace all traits of the human condition in this fucked up cross-continent medium we know as the internet.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Quote from: wheresmysnare on May 05, 2010, 05:03 PM
People can try and be nice but the tension will be bubbling away under the surface, much like real life i suppose. Think we should embrace all traits of the human condition in this fucked up cross-continent medium we know as the internet.

Fucking exactly.

"Hey guys! Stop being human!"

Fucking stupid, if you ask me.

wheresmysnare

I don't know there is something to be said for being civil in day to day 'real life' but it doesn't translate onto the internet.

Put it this way, if I was in a pub and saw someone talk to another person the way I see a lot on here, i'd think they were absolute gobby pricks and they'd probably get chucked out.

However, the internet is so far removed from reality, people will always say what they want, aside from moderators there is nothing to put people off. I think the internet is impersonal enough to not need moderators for things as trivial as discussions aabout bands/kfc/politics.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Indeed. Those people that get thrown out of bars though? They still exist. To pretend they don't, or to tell them to not be the way they are is unbelievably naive.

blixa

Quote from: Necrocetaceanbeastiality on May 05, 2010, 04:59 PM
Quote from: blixa on May 05, 2010, 04:09 PM

So you're saying you think we should only talk about butterflies and puppies and rainbows and pat each other on the back just for existing?

Talking about shit that matters naturally turns a conversation into a large debate because we're human. We're opinionated. It's in our nature to defend our beliefs.

You cite the KFC thread as an example of people being immature and incapable of having a discussion, but everyone WAS having a discussion. You just chose to ignore the people that were actually saying something of merit because they disagreed with you. Corey, for example, posted these huge long replies explaining the things he believes and you would reply with something that ignores everything he said that mattered. And then, to top it off, the first time someone said something in your defense, you praised that person and said something along the lines of it being a "mature and articulate response". Sure a few people were intent on berating you for no real reason, but still, can't you either a) not respond to that or b) respond in a way that isn't "you're wrong for believing differently than I"? Do you not think that that will make the situation worse? You were fueling the fire, not extinguishing it.

And you're all acting as if there was a time in the history of SL/Deftonesworld of complete peace with no assholes and nobody trying to get a rise out of people. If you think otherwise, you're sadly mistaken. In case you don't remember, I happened to be on the receiving end of the most shit I've ever seen anyone take on here (except perhaps, Ross) and do I give a shit? No. It's the internet. You can either converse, have fun, and give people shit, or you can get all personal and bitchy and cry. One is fun and cool and friendly and one just makes people annoyed at you.

And Mariam, I wouldn't expect you to be so completely blinded by your own feelings as to not realize how much of a self-righteous asshole you were being.

And now that I've been serious for once...

...penis.

oh, i read them, i just didn't feel like repeating myself so i didn't say anything because i didn't feel like dragging it on. he was talking about other things, which were important, but i was strictly speaking about factory farming. i stated my opinion on the matter. if that makes me self-righteous than that's fine. i am vegan and i try to live my life as ethically as possible. i think that totally makes me self-righteous to others, and i don't even have to open my mouth to speak. i'm already an arsehole to you. i don't really care to be honest. i've been called the worst of the worst by people because i hold strong convictions. i was an animal rights activist and i spent a lot of time around elitist vegans, but believe it or not, i'm not as much of an elitist as they are. i don't even tell people i'm vegan anymore because they attack me straight away and get really defensive around me. it's fine if you don't want to agree with me, but i'm not going to change my opinion and belief about people who eat meat because i have a right to that opinion. reading those two, three responses didn't make me want to go back there and talk it out with them because i felt that there was no point. there were exceptions as there always are (corey being one of them), but the majority of people didn't respond very maturely. i didn't say that anyone who didn't agree with my opinion was wrong, i obviously thought the majority of people would be against factory farmed meat but i suppose that is not the case.

there has never been a time where there were no arseholes. that's why these threads pop up all the time. if people did try to be more civil in their responses, well, that would be nice, but that's not going to happen due to the unstable nature of the internet. i don't expect people to talk about rainbows, sunshine, and lollipops. if they want to then that's fine.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Being vegan and and stating an opinion doesn't make you self-righteous, but ramming your opinion down people's throats, telling them their beliefs are immoral and then saying that it's impossible to love animals and eat meat? That's self-righteousness if I've ever seen it. You're as bad as a fundamentalist christian.

"Jesus is lord. It's wrong to not believe in Jesus, our Savior. If you don't think so, you're going to go to the lake of fire suffer for eternity. I'm christian and that is my opinion." How can you not see that?

blixa

i don't for one second believe that a person can love animals and eat them. that is not my understanding of love. that is what i believe. i'm sorry if it felt like i was ramming it down your throat. if that makes me radical then that is fine, but i'm not going to change my mind about it. i just don't see how i can love a cow and be okay with it being slaughtered so i could eat it. if that is the way of life as people have suggested then i don't love animals. if you love puppies and kittens then say you love puppies and kittens, but to state that you love animals, which equates to every animal on this planet and then continue to eat meat...well, i'm sorry, i can't grasp that at all. it's like what my film lecturer said, "i love babe, that's why i don't eat pig meat." THANK YOU. when people say they love animals they are automatically excluding the animals that are raised for food, therefore rendering them as nobodies - they're the animals no one gives a shit about so the whole "i love animals" becomes a very exclusive statement.

i'm a very chill person overall. i don't stand around saying "NA-UH, NO YOU DON'T" whenever someone says to me that they love animals. i don't RAM it down their throat. i understand what they mean from that sentiment. i don't necessarily have to agree with them because i don't think the love they're talking about is the love that i believe them to be speaking about. i said every time "i don't believe that a person can love animals and eat them." the 'i' and the 'believe' should make it obvious that it is a personal opinion.

so far i'm an arsehole and a fundamentalist, and i haven't even condemned anyone to hell for eating meat yet. my reputation precedes me.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

I wasn't really trying to bring the topic back up. I was trying to make you realize that you were fueling the fire and then blaming everyone else.

I'm done poking the bear, now.

sing blue silver

can we not get on this again?

Jacob

yeah, keep that discussion in the KFC thread or in private.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

blixa

Quote from: Necrocetaceanbeastiality on May 05, 2010, 06:39 PM
I wasn't really trying to bring the topic back up. I was trying to make you realize that you were fueling the fire and then blaming everyone else.

I'm done poking the bear, now.

unpopular opinions do that. i don't go around saying provocative shit all the time. when it comes to some aspects of animal rights i do have radical views, but to compare me to fundamentalist christians is just ignorant. i'm not standing in your front yard with signs condemning you to eternal fires of hell and physically attacking you because you choose to eat meat. fuck, i don't care about what you eat. i care about animals being treated well and respected. i know i'm a minority here. i didn't blame anyone. i just hated how most people reacted, which was immaturely.

the bear shall now return to the forest.

Penicks

animals shmanimals, give me some god damned fucking steak

sing blue silver

Quote from: Penicks on May 05, 2010, 08:49 PM
animals shmanimals, give me some god damned fucking steak

+1

all you can eat ribs tonight. mother nature will fear my wrath. sweet delicious murder.

Penicks

Do you know I actually ate ribs for the first time last year? It was one of the most touching moments in my life. I felt so spiritually connected with my stomach. Man, do I love meat.