Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

iPad

Started by Variable, May 25, 2010, 09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Variable

So I figured there would be a topic about this somewhere.  But either I'm too stupid to find it, or there isn't one. 

I played with one of these today.  I even logged onto SL and made a couple post just to give it a shot.  It was pretty cool.  I mean, I don't really see much of what it is besides a big ass iTouch.  but I love the shit out of my touch, and I was planning on buying a kindle when I got back to the states anyways , so I'm considering buying one of these.  But I can't help but think somehow I might be wasting my money and I should probably just stick with my touch and buy a new laptop instead.  Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this product yet?

Penicks

Fucking buy a laptop. Jesus christ.

Jacob

I have a really hard time seeing the purpose and usefulness of the iPad.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

devilinside

Yeah I dont get it soo much. I <3 my iPod touch...and dude...get a Nook from Barnes and Noble!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/index.asp

Variable

A LOT of it is the pure aesthetics of the product.  But it is insanely mobile and has a great display for reading up on all the newspapers and magazines you like to read up on for the day.  Plus you can still do all your basic online features or just use it to fuck around with when you're bored.  Its terrible for anyone who needs to do anything serious or professional with their comp.  But seeing as how all I ever do with my comp is read articles and get on here and facebook....it might not be too bad of a choice.

But I do see this style of comp replacing the laptop when better technology comes out.  you can already plug in a keyboard and monitor to the dam thing.  So you set it up like that at home.  And then if you need to be mobile with it, its pretty convenient for that. 

I'm just trying to look at it from both sides I guess.  But I think you guys are probably right.  They might need to improve the product a bit until I invest my money in it.  I was more or less just thinking that if I was going to spend money on a Kindle or Nook or whatever anyways, that I spend a little extra and get some more features. 

Livewire

Yeah, right now it IS essentially an oversized itouch.  The actual reason the thing was developed was to serve as competition for the Kindle and other similar products with the function of being able to view books in digital format as well as magazines and newspapers, but since there isn't a whole lot of content for the magazines and newspapers at this point then there's not a real function that the ipad has right now that would necessitate owning one.  Once magazine and newspaper companies start publishing their issues in a digital format, then maybe go and get one.

Variable

All that shit is way in the works though.  The paper media industry is hailing the iPad as their savior.  They are hoping everyone starts purchasing their product this way.  If they don't have it already, it wont be long at all before they do. 

Jacob

I think we might actually have a project for the iPad coming up at work soon. don't reallty know any details though, but I remembered when you mentioned digital books.

anyways, I can see how such things will work better on something like the iPad than on a laptop or netbook. but the main problems I see with the iPad is that there's really no convenient way to use it besides having it in your lap with your legs up so you have it at the same angle you would a laptop. and that sounds pretty uncomfortable. or you'll just have to hold it at all times. I guess you can put it down on a table, but then you'll have to hunch over it, and that won't be much fun for more than 5 minutes.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Variable

Well I mean, they have little docking stations for it and shit.  But you can break it down to pretty much just carrying a small folder with you instead of a laptop, and read it like you would if you were holding a book if you were so inclined.  Maybe its my really random - mobile lifestyle that makes this appealing to me. 

bright lights, big city

i really think it is a waste of money right now, but then you make a good point about it saving the paper-based media industry. i can see this thing blowing up even more and becoming mainstream. one of my favorite magazines, EGM, re-launched as an online focused publication. however a key feature they're working on is something called Screen Paper for use with the iPad. it's supposed to be something really original and "special".
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Variable

I just hate buying 1st generation shit.  If it was already in at least its 2nd generation , I would just buy it.  It's really not very expensive when you think about it.  I'm sure I could find some use for it, if not plenty.

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Is a big Itouch period also many customers @ my place are returning it because different issues.
Most of the people complaint about this:

It has no camera,
It has no usb ports,
not easy to organize a file system and transfer/copy,
not easy to print your files because it is not compatible with most of the printers
The screen keyboard is not practical and very fragile
The resolution is 4:3 so you see movies with huge black bars,
No HDMI out so you can't connect it to your new LCD,
No card readers for your photos,
No flash support for websites (rendering 50% of the web useless),
Lots of wifi issues (connections dropped),
The screen is glossy so you can't read on it outdoors,
No multitasking support
It's very fragile and slippery in your hands (one drop could kill the screen)

If I were you guys I would get a very nice HP Pavilion DV4 with digital finger reader for security (So no one can see your xxx archives)
Also the price of this Ipad will go down in 6 months so is not worth it but that is just me and my point of view. I hope this insight info is helpful for you.

Variable

yeah, I think you just convinced me not to do it.  Thanks

raynor

If this thing could run actual programs like photoshop it'd be awesome. Maybe next generation...

wheresmysnare

I have an i-touch and as far as mp3/4 players go, it's form and function are the best on the market. However, I would not be interested in buying an i-pad for the reasons listed by others above.

A laptop serves it's function perfectly, you will get more of everything and un-like an i-pad owner you won't look like a self promoting twat. Seriously, I think the Apple brand are due a public backlash anytime soon, their adverts have become unbelievably smug.

Overall I think the i-pad will be remembered as a fad at best.

Livewire

Quote from: RoyalDeftonicBoy on May 26, 2010, 04:14 AM
It has no camera,
It has no usb ports,
not easy to organize a file system and transfer/copy,
not easy to print your files because it is not compatible with most of the printers
The screen keyboard is not practical and very fragile
The resolution is 4:3 so you see movies with huge black bars,
No HDMI out so you can't connect it to your new LCD,
No card readers for your photos,
No flash support for websites (rendering 50% of the web useless),
Lots of wifi issues (connections dropped),
The screen is glossy so you can't read on it outdoors,
No multitasking support
It's very fragile and slippery in your hands (one drop could kill the screen)

If they were bitching about all of this or wanted these features,  why weren't they looking at a laptop instead?

Variable

It really blows my mind that they didn't put USB ports on them.  Or that they didn't see the glare in the screen thing coming.  I remember reading all these articles about how they were going after the kindle and how great the screen was and wondering how they got past the glare.  And I guess they didn't.  I think they just did a dam good job hyping themselves up.

Also I looked today.  All but 3 of my apps for my touch will not work with the iPad.  no bueno

Nailec

i also read that it turns off very fast when youre outside in the sun.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Quote from: wheresmysnare on May 26, 2010, 08:47 PM
saw this just now, ironic eh

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20100526/tbs-worker-suicides-plague-apple-contrac-5268574.html

Considering the fact that that company has 500,000 employees, maybe I'm wrong and I haven't looked into it but 11 suicides kinda feels like it might just fall into the national average in China.