Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Panic Attacks?

Started by There Will Be Blood, Jun 07, 2010, 03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

There Will Be Blood

Does anyone suffer from panic attacks? I've been getting them every day for a week and I have no idea why.

Variable

Do you take in a lot of caffeine or stimulants? 

theis

Maybe you should see a doctor.

Variable

Ha.  Maybe he should.  But why when he has SL?

SX King

Quote from: theis on Jun 07, 2010, 04:28 PM
Maybe you should see a doctor.

I agree sounds like pretty serious anxiety. I had a panic attack for the first time a couple months ago and i didnt know what the hell was going

Variable

I'm sure a Dr. would be more than happy to take your money and medicate you.  Or send you to someone to talk to about certain problems you may be having in your life. 

Sometimes panic attacks can be pretty crippling.  I have had patients who truly thought they were having a heart attack because of them.  There is a lot of combat stress related panic attacks that I have seen come on.  Breathing exercises actually help more than you would think.  You have to think about it with processes that you can and can not control.  The body has the autonomic nervous system.  The system that controls things like your heart rate and blood pressure.  You have no control over this.  Sometimes, it kicks in and does some weird stuff with your head.  The only part of the autonomic nervous system that you have conscious control over is your breathing.  Usually, your body does it automatically.  However, you can control it if you want to.  So, if you start to take control of your breathing and do exercises you start to regain control of the other processes in your autonomic nervous system, and regain control of your mind.  Make sense? 

I have heard it recommended that you take in a deep breath over 10 sec, hold it for 10 sec, and release it for 10 sec.  Continuing to do so until you feel better.  Unless of course you get lightheaded or something from doing it.  But, I have heard it really helps.  Never had to do it myself.  But it seems to be an empirical science.  I hope that helps until you can see a Dr.

If you can't afford to go see a Dr.  meds like Valium help in these situations.  I can do a little research for you though and find out what the best thing to take is. 

Vesanic

Quote from: Variable on Jun 07, 2010, 05:04 PM
I'm sure a Dr. would be more than happy to take your money and medicate you.

Especially in the USA.

Anyway, do something, dude.

alvarezbassist17

Quote from: Vesanic on Jun 07, 2010, 05:05 PM
Quote from: Variable on Jun 07, 2010, 05:04 PM
I'm sure a Dr. would be more than happy to take your money and medicate you.

Especially in the USA.

Or, in the case of Europe, take somebody else's money.  :P

Variable

alvarezbassist17

haha couldn't miss the opportunity.  Although too bad it's a lot harder to make that distinction these days...

Variable

Indeed.  Good news for this guy is that if we had Canada's system.  The advice I gave him would be all he got.  Until he had one when he was driving and hurt himself or somebody.  Then they would take the next cheapest rout until it got worse and they were forced to spend more tax dollars to help him. 

alvarezbassist17

Come on, can't you see the compassionate economics behind all of that?  You just need to get with the times, be more progressive, man.  Your principles are for fuckin old people that just don't know how sweet it is to be able to just throw paper at stuff and fix it.

Variable

The cheapest possible way is most definitely the most caring and progressive way.  Who gives a shit if the standard of care goes down and peoples lives are miserable for months to years because they can't get the immediate "expensive" procedures done until they prove that they 100% need them.  At least the small percentage of citizens who can't afford health care ( and are probably mainly bums or functioning drug addicts ) can use everyone else money to support their destructive life styles.  Wow, we are so great as a society.  I'm going to go get all smug now. 

Variable

Sorry, that last part was stereotyping and uncalled for.  I have some very dear people in my life that have had problems obtaining the medical care that they needed because of financial reasons.  However, I would still have preferred to have those extra tax dollars in my pocket to help them out even more than I could myself ( and their other friends and family ) than them having to turn to a half baked state ran program.   

Vesanic

Quote from: alvarezbassist17 on Jun 07, 2010, 05:12 PM
Or, in the case of Europe, take somebody else's money.  :P

Variable

SX King

Quote from: Variable on Jun 07, 2010, 05:27 PM
The cheapest possible way is most definitely the most caring and progressive way.  Who gives a shit if the standard of care goes down and peoples lives are miserable for months to years because they can't get the immediate "expensive" procedures done until they prove that they 100% need them.  At least the small percentage of citizens who can't afford health care ( and are probably mainly bums or functioning drug addicts ) can use everyone else money to support their destructive life styles.  Wow, we are so great as a society.  I'm going to go get all smug now.  

Thats is what i call ownage lol

alvarezbassist17

Quote from: Variable on Jun 07, 2010, 05:27 PM
The cheapest possible way is most definitely the most caring and progressive way.  Who gives a shit if the standard of care goes down and peoples lives are miserable for months to years because they can't get the immediate "expensive" procedures done until they prove that they 100% need them.  At least the small percentage of citizens who can't afford health care ( and are probably mainly bums or functioning drug addicts ) can use everyone else money to support their destructive life styles.  Wow, we are so great as a society.  I'm going to go get all smug now.  

haha, did you type all that looking up with your eyes closed?

But seriously, before we continue ruining this topic, did we solve this guy's problem?

SX King

Breathing technique,  visit a doctors office, valium, prozak, etc. I think it was helpful

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Spend two or three days laying in bed watching really stupid movies. Just turn your brain off for awhile. That's what I do.

And yeah, opiates help. Just be careful. Don't take them unless absolutely necessary.