Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kckondor

Wouldn't you consider White Pony to be their most commercial as it is their best selling album?  For me the transition from ATF to WP was extremely jarring and I just could not get into it for awhile.  It was only after S/T came out that I realized what a great record it is. 

I can't ever decide how to rank their albums.  I never know where to put adrenaline.  It holds a special place as the first album, but unlike so many other bands, Deftones managed to exceed that first album multiple times. 

Oddly I feel like White Pony is the most realized version of their current sound.  ATF stands out to me because it seems to be in a class by itself.  With S/T and SNW, I think they were trying to capture the essence of both records (ATF and WP) and as a result both those albums are somewhat disjointed in my opinion.  DE was a good step in the direction of a cohesive album but still feels like it was lacking something.  I'm hoping that KNY will join ATF and WP at the top. 

deftoner664

Does anyone agree with me that Deftones need to do a double album at some point in their career? Maybe the final one?
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

BallZDeeP

Quote from: deftoner664 on Nov 06, 2012, 08:46 PM
Does anyone agree with me that Deftones need to do a double album at some point in their career? Maybe the final one?

no

SquealLikeaPig

No, I don't like the idea of double albums.  There is too much filler on most of them.  If they took their time and made a double album over 5 years, it might be ok.

Pndi

i'm not against that idea but a double album seems extremely difficult to produce. i wouldn't mind a first heavy part then a second more experimental/unorthodox one though

UrZ*

Quote from: shoop on Nov 06, 2012, 08:45 PM
Quote from: UrZ* on Nov 06, 2012, 08:39 PM
Quote from: shoop on Nov 06, 2012, 08:38 PM
Quote from: Mustang on Nov 06, 2012, 08:36 PM
I'm high right now. It's like freaking 300 degrees outside, and it's 10PM... I'm in my boxers and tank shirt... Room is full of smoke. Let's get this album rolling.
man you're lucky.. i ran out and anxiety is killin me.. this shit aint helpin.

nice kit u got there? what is it? tama? sonor?
Tama!

Nice, rocking Zildjians on top? :)
And somewhere, There's someone who cares. With a heart of gold, To have and to hold.

pony_01

they need a fucking new official dvd

DAFTPUNK87

I think they could pull it off. I definitely wouldn't be against it.
Double the Tones, Double the Fun

www.facebook.com/HXGRM              www.soundcloud.com/shpes

M1GHTY M4VS

Quote from: m1nusblindfoLd on Nov 06, 2012, 08:39 PM
"Due to unforeseen circumstances, Deftones will not be able to play their scheduled show tonight at Teatro Caupolican in Santiago, Chile. The band will be playing tomorrow, November 7th at Teatro La Cupula. Stay tuned for more info."

Wonder what happened?

maybe they have seen security risk at the venue or had power supply problems. I just check both out and the substitute seems more appropriate for a crowd like deftones chile.
Caupolican looks like a bullcage with many seats installed and not as the standard metal venue. La Culpa is more open and you can determine as it is frontal enclosure in a large golfball whereas Caupolican seems more of a amphiteathre having the band in the middle of it all like Foo Fighters did quite well in wembley but this venue is much smaller and narrower - means bad evac situation when people are on rage.

deftoner664

Quote from: SquealLikeaPig on Nov 06, 2012, 08:48 PM

No, I don't like the idea of double albums.  There is too much filler on most of them.  If they took their time and made a double album over 5 years, it might be ok.

Agree.. Time is essential when it comes to double albums... I dunno, considering their level of productivity, and countless times of Steph saying if they could not be restricted to their touring cycle, meetings, signings etc. then, I'd say that would be the perfect time for them to do something like that... Act like you guys would complain if the Deftones gave you more shit.

alan1o

Quote from: Pndi on Nov 06, 2012, 08:49 PM

i'm not against that idea but a double album seems extremely difficult to produce. i wouldn't mind a first heavy part then a second more experimental/unorthodox one though

The Ocean pulled it off with Precambrian. But yeah, I don't think it would work for Deftones

DAFTPUNK87

Quote from: pony_01 on Nov 06, 2012, 08:51 PM
yes indeed. I want a legit dvd, with performances, backstage footage, interviews, maybe some footage of them dicking around in the cities they play in.. shit like that.

www.facebook.com/HXGRM              www.soundcloud.com/shpes

MuffBiscuits

Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Nov 06, 2012, 08:51 PM
I think they could pull it off. I definitely wouldn't be against it.
Double the Tones, Double the Fun

I could see them releasing Eros as a companion disc to a future album.

deftoner664

Quote from: DAFTPUNK87 on Nov 06, 2012, 08:53 PM
Quote from: pony_01 on Nov 06, 2012, 08:51 PM
yes indeed. I want a legit dvd, with performances, backstage footage, interviews, maybe some footage of them dicking around in the cities they play in.. shit like that.

This too.. It's long over due

Mustang

Quote from: kckondor on Nov 06, 2012, 08:45 PM
Wouldn't you consider White Pony to be their most commercial as it is their best selling album?  For me the transition from ATF to WP was extremely jarring and I just could not get into it for awhile.  It was only after S/T came out that I realized what a great record it is. 

I can't ever decide how to rank their albums.  I never know where to put adrenaline.  It holds a special place as the first album, but unlike so many other bands, Deftones managed to exceed that first album multiple times. 

Oddly I feel like White Pony is the most realized version of their current sound.  ATF stands out to me because it seems to be in a class by itself.  With S/T and SNW, I think they were trying to capture the essence of both records (ATF and WP) and as a result both those albums are somewhat disjointed in my opinion.  DE was a good step in the direction of a cohesive album but still feels like it was lacking something.  I'm hoping that KNY will join ATF and WP at the top.

I feel it... But Deftones have always been somewhat of a polarizing band in terms of a signature sound. You can't really say this album "sounds like Deftones" or this album "doesn't sound like Deftones" but that's what makes them different and great. WP/ATF might be the closest they've ever come to a fully realized sound, but that's not to discredit the albums to follow either. Each are unique and distinctive... Adrenaline: Raw, hard-edged... ATF: Heavy... WP: Smooth... S/T: Dark... SNW: Diverse... DE: Clean-cut... Seems like KNY is going for a glossier, more anthemic sound, and that is something I can appreciate.

m1nusblindfoLd

OH MY GOD, SOMEONE GIVE US THE FUCKING ALBUM..THIS IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS

DenOndaNissen

It would probably take a long time and have a lot of fillers. But if they had a good and interesting concept, I would rather would rather have a double album of two EP's with clear contrasts in music style and ideas. (Something like Thrice Alchemy Index)

rageman02uk

I wouldnt be against the idea at all, in fact two of my fave albums are double LPs in Nine Inch Nails - Fragile and Wu Tangs - Forever, and looking forward to Biffy Clyros double cd due in January.

BUT i know some people didnt like the two albums mentioned above because of "Filler" tracks, IMO i thought they were excellent, and as someone posted above, More 'Tones the better

shoop

Quote from: UrZ* on Nov 06, 2012, 08:50 PM
Quote from: shoop on Nov 06, 2012, 08:45 PM
Quote from: UrZ* on Nov 06, 2012, 08:39 PM
Quote from: shoop on Nov 06, 2012, 08:38 PM
Quote from: Mustang on Nov 06, 2012, 08:36 PM
I'm high right now. It's like freaking 300 degrees outside, and it's 10PM... I'm in my boxers and tank shirt... Room is full of smoke. Let's get this album rolling.
man you're lucky.. i ran out and anxiety is killin me.. this shit aint helpin.

nice kit u got there? what is it? tama? sonor?
Tama!

Nice, rocking Zildjians on top? :)
You bet ;)  A Custom Projection 19 & 20" crashes for now.. too bad they sound damn near identical.

NicholasHume

I wouldn't count on a double album from any band whose longest record is 12 songs