Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

PALMS [new Chino Moreno side project]

Started by luisch, Apr 25, 2012, 06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwenudo

You cant judge palms yet guys. You have to listen to the album in its intirely before you go critisizing it that its gay and too soft and lame.. i still think its an amazing track.. but for all we know that could be the softest track on the album. So no.. dont judge them too soon..
Was it like it seemed?...

cvthedrv

Quote from: gwenudo666 on Feb 13, 2013, 02:09 PM
You cant judge palms yet guys. You have to listen to the album in its intirely before you go critisizing it that its gay and too soft and lame.. i still think its an amazing track.. but for all we know that could be the softest track on the album. So no.. dont judge them too soon..

just listen to ISIS and compare, for FUCK'S SAKE!!!!

Vesanic

Quote from: cvthedrv on Feb 13, 2013, 02:59 PM

Nah nah, regarding that I can agree. I think the track's an absolute failure but we must wait for the pull picture to judge and give an appreciation of the band. Who knows, the fact there's a track like that doesn't NECESSARILY mean there's not some badass heaviness in there. It might be doubtful but you know, even though he definitely took a step in the land of pop influences, he's still the lead singer of one of the most respected METAL bands ever, and that metal singer is singing with the members of ISIS. I'm sure their musical roots made them want to get loud at some point.

Once again, I have nothing against soft music at all. I just think that this specific track sucks, not because it's soft. It's just dull and empty to me. BUT you can't possibly imagine Chino Moreno in ISIS and not expect some noise. I know I can't.

cvthedrv

Quote from: Vesanic on Feb 13, 2013, 03:09 PM

Nah nah, regarding that I can agree. I think the track's an absolute failure but we must wait for the pull picture to judge and give an appreciation of the band. Who knows, the fact there's a track like that doesn't NECESSARILY mean there's not some badass heaviness in there. It might be doubtful but you know, even though he definitely took a step in the land of pop influences, he's still the lead singer of one of the most respected METAL bands ever, and that metal singer is singing with the members of ISIS. I'm sure their musical roots made them want to get loud at some point.

Once again, I have nothing against soft music at all. I just think that this specific track sucks, not because it's soft. It's just dull and empty to me. BUT you can't possibly imagine Chino Moreno in ISIS and not expect some noise. I know I can't.

yes, thats what i waiting for, the end of isis was really painful, and the constantly softness of chino's influence is getting weaker with every release, i hope this wont be the same.

DeftonesNZ

I hope at some point they get loud otherwise it seems redundant having all of them in the band when it's just Chino singing over a produced beat, can't wait to hear some real drums from Aaron especially

gwenudo

Ive been listening to isis for years. They are not making isis songs man. Thry are making palms.. a new band.. not ISIS ver.2.. and its just one track .. judge the track go ahead.. but im sure their is more to this band than that one track.

play

Quote from: Vesanic on Feb 13, 2013, 03:09 PM

Definitely agree.

alan1o

Just listened. It's alright. Sounds like Crosses to me, with that distinctive ISIS bass tone. I too hope to hear more post-metal / ISIS influence coming through.

I have to say, i'm not digging this cleaner style vocals Chino is doing now. He's lost some of the characteristics I loved about his voice

DaniknifeParty Ænema

i like the song, and everything that chino touches for me turns into gold. But we already have crosses, we have team sleep, i hope now, that we have something more heavy from chino, i will wait and then have the balls to judge Palms for what it is and not for what i wish...

He had a lot to say...
He had a lot of nothing to say.

hi man

elite54

Crosses lyrics on top of a Team Sleep demo is what it sounds like to me.

deftoner664

Quote from: hi man on Feb 13, 2013, 08:50 PM
chino and his waves

NO doubt. How many songs do we have now where he mentions waves?  It's almost becoming one of his lyrical gimmicks, just like the long accentuated " Youuuuuuuuuu"'s in his past works.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

gwenudo

Quote from: deftoner664 on Feb 13, 2013, 10:02 PM
Quote from: hi man on Feb 13, 2013, 08:50 PM
chino and his waves

NO doubt. How many songs do we have now where he mentions waves?  It's almost becoming one of his lyrical gimmicks, just like the long accentuated " Youuuuuuuuuu"'s in his past works.

Or the ric flair woo's

dictatesofreason

Jesus Stalin! quit complaining, all you "defontes" fans and admins and shit quit man, its fucking annoying! all you people ever do is get one here and see what some ones opinion is and then you smashit! this is about fucking music bro. The reason that most level headed logical people love his music IS BECAUSE he does whatever the fuck he wants with it, he bows neither to the wishes of the record label nor to the fans. Accept what he does and live it, if you dont dig this new shit then fine BUT GET OUT OF THE DAMN THREAD! I could care less what rank you are Mod, or elite to pink maggit man your afuckin human you have no say what another human does with his creative skills, go away.

As for "tropics" besides being unmastered, i feel that this is another insight to the mans brain, with everything he does we see a shade of the same light, and different facet of the same gem, and I like what i hear, like I started saying years ago, everything this man touches turns to to gold, and this song is no less an example. Its unfinished and still may yet have some parts to be added in, but if this is a taste of whats to come consider me starving, The chorus and verse may seem lenghty or repetative but just becasue something is different doesnt make it bad we've seen that with crosses and KONY, (yes KONY) so I personally can't wait for more.

nicklav

Quote from: dictatesofreason on Feb 14, 2013, 12:44 AM
Jesus Stalin! quit complaining, all you "defontes" fans and admins and shit quit man, its fucking annoying! all you people ever do is get one here and see what some ones opinion is and then you smashit! this is about fucking music bro. The reason that most level headed logical people love his music IS BECAUSE he does whatever the fuck he wants with it, he bows neither to the wishes of the record label nor to the fans. Accept what he does and live it, if you dont dig this new shit then fine BUT GET OUT OF THE DAMN THREAD! I could care less what rank you are Mod, or elite to pink maggit man your afuckin human you have no say what another human does with his creative skills, go away.

As for "tropics" besides being unmastered, i feel that this is another insight to the mans brain, with everything he does we see a shade of the same light, and different facet of the same gem, and I like what i hear, like I started saying years ago, everything this man touches turns to to gold, and this song is no less an example. Its unfinished and still may yet have some parts to be added in, but if this is a taste of whats to come consider me starving, The chorus and verse may seem lenghty or repetative but just becasue something is different doesnt make it bad we've seen that with crosses and KONY, (yes KONY) so I personally can't wait for more.

You have no right to tell others what to think, or where to go to say what they think. This isn't a thread titled "Heap praise on Palms". It's a thread where people can come to discuss the band. Some people don't like it? Tough. Ignore them. They still have the right to express their dislike.

Inkblades

People expecting heaviness from Palms are going to be disappointed. Harris has already said in interviews that the album isn't that heavy. Maybe there will be moments, but if you're looking for something that is really metal, look elsewhere. It should also be noted that the guys from Isis were writing the music for Palms before Chino came on board, so I think a lot of it was their decision to do something softer.

By the way, I'm not disappointed by Tropics because it's a softer song. Chino has done so many amazing soft songs in his career. Too many to count. Unfortunately, Tropics just isn't one of them. I actually dig the music (even if it isn't the most complex thing the Isis guys ever written and is also aping Team Sleep), but his voice is just weak on it and the lyrics are far from his best. Maybe the final version of the song will sound better.

elite54

I hate to say it but his lyrics were so awesome when he wrote when he was "a little tipsy" in his words. Now, he said he writes first thing in the morning after a cup of coffee. I still like crosses, recent deftones and the the first song from palms, but the the old writing is probably gone.

Bifrost

Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 14, 2013, 01:02 AM
People expecting heaviness from Palms are going to be disappointed. Harris has already said in interviews that the album isn't that heavy. Maybe there will be moments, but if you're looking for something that is really metal, look elsewhere. It should also be noted that the guys from Isis were writing the music for Palms before Chino came on board, so I think a lot of it was their decision to do something softer.

By the way, I'm not disappointed by Tropics because it's a softer song. Chino has done so many amazing soft songs in his career. Too many to count. Unfortunately, Tropics just isn't one of them. I actually dig the music (even if it isn't the most complex thing the Isis guys ever written and is also aping Team Sleep), but his voice is just weak on it and the lyrics are far from his best. Maybe the final version of the song will sound better.

I like it, not blown away but its chill I'm enjoying it... definitely has that Teamsleep vibe to it, just minus Zachs manic drums

I am curious what the whole album will be like, I think it will be better than crosses judging from this

Rxx

I miss the old Chino, when he did drugs, his creativity was high! Now, he just sucks...

cvthedrv

Quote from: Rxx on Feb 14, 2013, 04:18 AM
I miss the old Chino, when he did drugs, his creativity was high! Now, he just sucks...

the happy chino is really non productive, i hope his wife cheat on him, just imagine that album!!!!