Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

PALMS [new Chino Moreno side project]

Started by luisch, Apr 25, 2012, 06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laurapalmer

It feels odd to recognize that for the most part, the vocals are the odd man out. After the first listen B- feels about right with Mission Sunset being the clear highlight.

DeftonesNZ

Yeah but I think the production has done Chino no favours, they've tried to make it sound dreamy and distant but he just sounds poorly mixed in the end, I wish that had got some one who really knows what they're doing to take care of that part of it. If Chino's part was mixed properly this would be epic it's still great though.

laurapalmer

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jun 18, 2013, 06:30 AM
Yeah but I think the production has done Chino no favours, they've tried to make it sound dreamy and distant but he just sounds poorly mixed in the end, I wish that had got some one who really knows what they're doing to take care of that part of it. If Chino's part was mixed properly this would be epic it's still great though.

100% agree. Its certainly more of the mix than the vocals. Theres also something disconcerting about listening to a record and it being obviously "pasted" together in a way. (The way some songs on Saturday Night Wrist are missing certain dynamics, for example)

DeftonesNZ

Yeah I got that feeling to, the instrumentals just seemed to be all clear and on the same level and then the vocals sound like they are on their own track playing at the same time.

asshole

I love me some Vinyl.

Follow Me under #Adamogreat
Your Lucky Your Kinda Cute.. Taste Like Juicy Fruit...

Hank

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jun 18, 2013, 06:36 AM
Yeah I got that feeling to, the instrumentals just seemed to be all clear and on the same level and then the vocals sound like they are on their own track playing at the same time.
yea
somewhat like the effect on " When Girls Telephone Boys " and alot of other songs Chino has been on.

Man , you guys act like whoever makes the actual music doesn't get to listen to it before it's produced and released. I'm sure that's how they wanted it to sound. Sure we all have our opinions ..I just don't see that agrument and would like some examples of what you are talking about.

asshole

I love me some Vinyl.

Follow Me under #Adamogreat
Your Lucky Your Kinda Cute.. Taste Like Juicy Fruit...

DeftonesNZ

Yeah but this was self produced and I think that was a mistake, they obviously had an idea of what they wanted to do but the execution just isn't that great, Chino was obviously meant to sound dreamy and atmospheric but the way they've done it sounds a bit like Chino was poorly recorded, he sounds slightly muffled and compressed, you can definitely see what they were going for and they didn't do that bad of a job but I think they should have taken the idea they had in their head to someone who really knows how to get that perfect sound, the music itself is great but it just sounds like we're not hearing the songs at there best.

bewareofrats

Quote from: shoop on Jun 18, 2013, 04:17 AM
Quote from: bewareofrats on Jun 18, 2013, 03:19 AM
So, has this officially leaked?
Is that a serious question? And I love how someone gives everyone a link, then people still wanna ask for a link lol
I don't know what is considered an official leak.  It's not on main torrent sites that I saw.  I first saw it was on getmetal so didn't even know if it was legit as I've never heard of that site.

So, is the leak album quality?
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

Hank

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jun 18, 2013, 07:09 AM
Yeah but this was self produced and I think that was a mistake, they obviously had an idea of what they wanted to do but the execution just isn't that great, Chino was obviously meant to sound dreamy and atmospheric but the way they've done it sounds a bit like Chino was poorly recorded, he sounds slightly muffled and compressed, you can definitely see what they were going for and they didn't do that bad of a job but I think they should have taken the idea they had in their head to someone who really knows how to get that perfect sound, the music itself is great but it just sounds like we're not hearing the songs at there best.

Cool man . I didn't know it was self produced and now knowing that, It's a great point you made. Still it's how they wanted to present it to us so I can respect the sound but can also see what your'e saying. I don't find the vocals to much of a problem really. I do think the end of Shortwave radio could have been so much better along with Antarctic Handshake. Those songs have so much building up but just seem to fizzle out while a song like Mission Sunset just explodes into what I expected this band to be when I first heard they formed.

That is one gorgeous song .

I dig this effort though and have always loved the guys from Isis so I hope we hear alot more in the future.

Sushi-X

Rocket Skates '94

DeftonesNZ

Yeah this albums pretty great, I love this sort of music and this albums going to be thrashed by me, Really good job by the Isis guys as-well a bit of a departure from what they're used  to but they nailed it,the instrumentals are top notch. I see a lot of potential I just wish Chino would be more involved in the writing as it might make him gel in more and slightly better production, but overall it's awesome considering it's their first album and given that Chino's schedule got in the way.

scatterbrain

Quote from: bewareofrats on Jun 18, 2013, 07:13 AM
Quote from: shoop on Jun 18, 2013, 04:17 AM
Quote from: bewareofrats on Jun 18, 2013, 03:19 AM
So, has this officially leaked?
Is that a serious question? And I love how someone gives everyone a link, then people still wanna ask for a link lol
I don't know what is considered an official leak.  It's not on main torrent sites that I saw.  I first saw it was on getmetal so didn't even know if it was legit as I've never heard of that site.

So, is the leak album quality?

I don't know what you consider "main torrent sites" but it's been on all the good torrent sites like wcd for around 8 hours now.I checked spectrals myself,they are legit.
If you can't find a torrent for it by now,your on the wrong sites.

As far as production is concerned,we all the know vocals were recorded months after,and you can really tell at certain points.
None the less,it's still a great album,and its nice to hear Chino yell a bit,was not expecting much of that.
im me and thats all ill ever be

bewareofrats

Isohunt and Piratebay are the ones I normally use.  A few show up on isohunt now but they show 45 mb for 320 so it doesn't add up.

scatterbrain

Quote from: bewareofrats on Jun 18, 2013, 07:54 AM
Isohunt and Piratebay are the ones I normally use.  A few show up on isohunt now but they show 45 mb for 320 so it doesn't add up.

No,320 is a fake.
im me and thats all ill ever be

schlueter

About a 12er and few pipes and cigs in. It's fucking great. Perfect timing for summer time bs.

Inkblades

Mission Sunset leaves my jaw on the floor with every listen.

scarywindow

I would really advise that people not be so hasty in judging this record.  there are a few nuances contained within this album that may take some time adjusting to, but if i know anything, it's that this record tends to unfold more and more on each listen.  there is not a bad song on here, the flow is perfect, and i think (ex) ISIS and Chino sound amazing together.   this is truly the record i've been waiting for from BOTH camps the whole time. 

now, this is my personal opinion - but i have had quite a bit of time with this record (surprise!), and i can honestly say that i am in love with it... and here's what will get me flamed:  i would take this record over any Deftones or ISIS made to date.  it is absolutely perfect to me.  i do hope PALMS continue to grow, record, and flourish.  this is the band i've been waiting for... for a VERY, VERY long time.

enjoy your listening sessions, and might i suggest HEADPHONES... please.  this album is so layered and actually very beautifully produced and engineered by Aaron.

trust me, i've had my fanboy moments for Deftones for YEARS (97-2010), and the same with ISIS (Oceanic - Wavering Radiant) - and i was careful to not let that steer my opinion one way or another... and although it did at first, i just have to say - if this record were recorded by Deftones, i'd call it their best record BY FAR.  same with ISIS. 

so, as far as i'm concerned, LONG LIVE PALMS.

bewareofrats

On first listen Future Warrior was easily the winner for me.  Pretty awesome Chino parts, especially where he yells, and some very nice variation in this song.

I found the main Chino belt out part in Mission Sunset to be a bit much and thought he sounded weak there, but maybe this is not the best quality rip or a fault of the production.  The song started out quite great, but then it kinda went downhill for me.  Actually, the last minute or so was possibly the best part of the song.

I am disappointed by the lack of Chino's vocals in Antarctic Handshake.  Especially his style in that song.  It sounded so good in the samples and then to find out there's not much of it in the song.  I guess it could have been done too much, but I could have still gone for at least a little more vocals of some sort.

I had become quite keen on Tropics already, so I'd say Future Warrior and Tropics might be my favourite on first listen or maybe Shortwave Radio.  This is all only after one listen so my thoughts could change quite a bit.  It's a quite enjoyable album, very good instrumentals with some beautiful moments, and I am definitely very interested in listening to it again.