Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

PALMS [new Chino Moreno side project]

Started by luisch, Apr 25, 2012, 06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

I feel like that at times, too. Even the songs I like have little moments that don't work for me. At times, Chino just sounds a little off-key. But, then, on the same song, he'll nail a note and it will sound absolutely beautiful. It's weird. Regardless, I think Palms is something that gets better with each listen and after purchasing the CD and giving it a listen, his voice sounds much better on it than the internet leak version.

deftoneseba

"LP's for our upcoming July live dates arrived. We will have all LP colors for sale at the shows as well as CD's, new shirt designs, and some other special items."

Anyone going to the first show to hook me up with a Gold and a White copy?
http://www.romastianboots.blogspot.com/
Go there for Deftones bootlegs trading.

Fireal1222

im about halfway through the palms album, and i really enjoy it.

it has a team sleep vibe to it. but chino's voice is much different on this album. ive never really listened to isis, but i saw them open for tool a few years ago, and it was great.

anyway. i understand that some deftones fans arent going to like this style. but personally. my musical tastes have changed a lot over the past 10 years, and i really dont enjoy much of the deftones music after self titled. although snw was alright.

but this album def. has the vibe that i look for in music. and its nice to hear a band like this and enjoy the vocals as well.

actually. the song mission sunset is about 3/4 done as i type this, and it is absolutely beautiful.

i didnt even know about this band until yesterday. which might be the reason why i am enjoying it so much, i had no anticipation or hopes going into it.

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

bewareofrats

I'm definitely more into this right now than Koi No Yokan.  The vocals stand out in a better way on this than KNY to me.  There's some really nice soaring parts where Chino has a lot of power in his voice and some nicer, subtle parts than KNY.  Right now I'd rank the songs like this:

Future Warrior
Mission Sunset
Antarctic Handshake
Shortwave Radio
Patagonia
Tropics
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

Hesperian Death-Horse!

Much of this album feels like its the album I was waiting for the Deftones to make. I really wanted them to get exploratory and drawn out like these songs are. Some of the Deftones tracks achieve that but they don't have a whole album that is like that.

I love the album. My first full listen was amazing. I waited til my LP came in the mail.

Hank

best "side project" Chino has ever done.

Jesus2Chino

So after many more listens, I'm in love with this album. My only complaint at this point is that it feels too short, haha. I know it's a standard length for an album, but it's the kind of music I could get lost in for at least twice as long as the album runs. At first there were standout tracks, but it's tough now to not listen to the whole album, as it's a beautifully crafted piece in it's entirety.

I had some trepidation in regards to vocals and lyrics anticipating this release, but I have to say I'm impressed. I think lyrically this album is many rungs higher than what Chino has been producing as of late. I hate to bring Deftones into this, but it's difficult not to. I think this album is proof that musically Deftones would benefit from a more progressive and less linear writing style. In that interview posted a couple of pages back, Chino mentioned that Mission Sunset was the first track he worked through vocally, and that he was a little nervous about making his style work for a 10+ minute song. In my opinion he did brilliantly, and the song demands interest through its whole duration, largely thanks to Chino's vocal efforts. The pattern seems to be, to my ears, that the shorter the song on this album, the more Chino is tempted to roll with his "sticky" melodies that have defined much of the last two Deftones albums. His vocals were always catchy, insofar as they were memorable and stayed with you, but the Chino of old was more adept at walking the line between abrasive and catchy, which is what made/makes him so brilliant. But with the "sticky" stuff of late, he seems to pick a melody that he likes, and then seems reluctant to stray too far from that hook; when he gets into that zone, he doesn't seem to want to run on the melodies that he choses, and some songs feel repetitious or dynamically monotonous as a result. The more unpredictable song structures of Palms seem to have guided him away from that habit, and thus vocally the album is a success in my opinion. He still falls into that trap on occasion here, but is forced by the more complex compositions of Palms not to indulge that urge consistently. In my opinion, Deftones should take note.

In other news, Antarctic Handshake is a brilliant closer.

Much respect,
-Matt
Much respect,
-Matt

play

Quote from: Jesus2Chino on Jun 29, 2013, 01:33 AM
But with the "sticky" stuff of late, he seems to pick a melody that he likes, and then seems reluctant to stray too far from that hook; when he gets into that zone, he doesn't seem to want to run on the melodies that he choses, and some songs feel repetitious or dynamically monotonous as a result.

Couldn't agree with this more. That's what i miss in deftones. He doesn't move or play around with the hooks and melodies like he used to.

beansandcornbread

Yeah, I love this album.  If they didn't record anything else it would be a shame.  And if Chino was able to be there during some of the music writing process, It's pretty unlimited as to how good it could be. 

pinkmaggit69

Mission Sunset is a beast of a song!

I have the "Throw me your halo..." part stuck in my head all the time!

Drinks won't stain this birth!

TheyCallMeP

The album is incredible, much better than anything I had anticipated. One of the marks of a great album, especially on songs such as Mission Sunset and Antarctic  Handshake that push 10 min territory, is that the songs seem so much shorter than their duration time. The lyrics and music compliment each other very well without one aspect feeling superior to the other. This is easily one of the best things I've heard from Chino as an artist and I look forward to anything Palms may decide to release in the future.

Favorite moment on the record: Mission Sunset when Chino's vocals get passionate and loud around the three and a half minute mark.

Cullision

I just realized that bohren & der club of gore album chino listens to is titled sunset mission.

black coffee

Quote from: Fireal1222 on Jun 27, 2013, 09:06 PM
i understand that some deftones fans arent going to like this style.

then please read through the last 5, 6 pages of this topic and find one negative opinion on the Palms album ;)

If anything, Deftones fans look upon Chino's side projects favorably - and I am not saying people like his side projects only because Chino is in it. but aside from the Deftones fanbase, who do you think listens to Crosses, Palms or Team Sleep or even knows about these bands?
Just a thought.

pony_01

I admit, this album was great. And patagonia is a great track.

luisch

I transcribed the lyrics.

Pd. Thanks Elite54 for the help

Future Warrior

I slipped into your sight
but didn't feel anything deep inside
Then looked out
through clean eyes
but didn't see anything that I liked
The closer
I am
I notice something's wrong with you
The closer
I am
I notice something's wrong
I know there's something wrong (x3)
You have destroyed it
destroyed it
I climbed into your mind
I didnt find anything there worthwhile
I swiched back to realize
I notice somethings is still not right
The closer I am
I notice something's wrong
have destroyed it
destroyed it
We let go tonight
Lead us both tonight
Let us through (x6)
So we can both remember
Remember (x2)
So we can both remember

Patagonia

There's a hole in space
where the demons wait
They'll control our tongues
when the silence comes
So by the time we awake
the desire is gone

There's a queen in place
who'll decide our course
while they'll smile and wait
till the silence comes on

We'll dance across the wire
We dance above the flames

There's a deep black grave
It's where the lonely wait
to control our tides
whe the silence comes

You are a inside
the heart of this web
Lying inside hovered in prayer
You are inside
the heart of this web
Waiting  inside
covered in smiles
loving this dance
across the wire
dance above the flames

There's a hole in space
where your demons wait
to control our tongues
when the silence comes
when the silence comes
we'll receive our fate
when the silence comes

You are inside
the heart of this web
Lying inside
hovered in prayer

Mission Sunset

I looked through your frame
and watched deat going by
I move towards her gaze
to catch it by surprise
It's something new to try
somewhere in the tides

When we catch our stride
then you can decide

Throw me your halo
down the halls of doom
I'll lead the way
through the combs of time
Show me your heaven
down the halls of doom
I'll lead the way
down the combs of time

Find our way (x2)
Find

Now you know the way (x2)
Now you know you're tied
You can never turn around
You can never turn away
Now you know you're tied
I expect you to decide
taht you'll never turn away

Its like heaven in true time
like heaven

Now you know you're tied
You will never turn away

It's your
Its your
time

Scanning the horizon
trying to find our bed
Gliding on the ice
covered to our head

Stranded under ice
trying to hold our breath

Scanning the horizon
covered to our heads

I watch the dead go by
I watch the dead get far
I watch the dead go by
I watch the dead dead get far
get far

Racing against the throes of time
Try to pretend you know your prize
Covered in smiles
the lights shine thick hahead
Hovering in the throes of time
Hard to resist
we know it's our time

Rest your eyes
Rest your eyes

Shortwave Radio

I don't know what to say
but I will never leave your side
How can you think I could ever say goodbye?

These walls are warm and safe
You keep my head above the tides
holy and so right
Your arms are warm and safe
They hold my head above the tides
holy and so right

I don't know what to say
I will never say goodbye
for anything
No, I would never say goodbye

Your arms are warm and safe
You keep my head up in the sun
It's always so right

So forget about the days 
We almost all of the way
forget about the times
we were lonely

Goodbye, away, goodbye
and you hold me (x2)

So forget about the days 
We almost all of the way
forget about the times
we were lonely

Goodbye, away, goodbye
and you hold me (x2)

I don't know what to say
but I will never leave your side
for anything
I wouldnt do it

Goodbye, away, goodbye
and you hold me (x2)

Ascending into heaven while staring into hell.
You're staring into heaven, descending into hell.
Ascending into heaven while staring into hell.

You're staring into heaven, descending into hell. (x6)

Tropics

I kiss you goodbye
then release in the sky
I scare in your core
as you you rise from the shore
it goes by

Over the sand
into the light
over the sea
the waves go by
under the sun
back to the land
into the night
between your hands

Relax in the tides
feel your breeze going by
over our heads
you get split with your dance
it goes by

Over the sand
into the light
over the sea
the waves go by
under the sun
back to the land
into the night
between your hands

You try contain it
It shoots out through your hands

I kiss you goodnight
lift your face to the light

The taste of your cell
lays the key to your spell
It goes by

Over the sand
into the light
over the sea
the waves go by
under the sun
back to the land
into the night
between your hands

You try to contain it
but you're in over your head
I follow the wake of your tide
Good enough to come around
Try to keep the pace of your stride
Trying to keep the axis straight
Laying in the wake of your trail
Caught up in the waves of your spell

Trying to keep the axis straight
Laying in the wake of your trail
Caught up in the waves of your spell
Trying to keep axis high

Antartic shake

Inside
Inside of the whale
I come to you
and now it's your turn
your turn to evaluate
all those times you let go
Ouside
I've let you in through the years
it's time to let go
The two of us at the end
Off the grid
Arms first
Arms first
Now you know
it's time to let go
Let go
it's time to let go
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

elite54

I think Shortwave Radio is... Ascending into heaven while staring into hell. You're staring into heaven, descending into hell. Ascending into heaven while staring into hell. You're staring into heaven descending into hell.

luisch

Quote from: elite54 on Jun 29, 2013, 09:22 PM
I think Shortwave Radio is... Ascending into heaven while staring into hell. You're staring into heaven, descending into hell. Ascending into heaven while staring into hell. You're staring into heaven descending into hell.

thanks, bud, fixing!
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

Rally Sweat

Love that line ('ascending into heaven, while staring into hell').

alio die

i love the moments that vaguely echo some deftones tracks. mission sunset and korea (It's yours). The riff towards the end of shortwave radio and passenger. anyone hear any other similarities?

FlyingPiranha

Quote from: Hesperian Death-Horse! on Jun 28, 2013, 07:01 AM
Much of this album feels like its the album I was waiting for the Deftones to make. I really wanted them to get exploratory and drawn out like these songs are. Some of the Deftones tracks achieve that but they don't have a whole album that is like that.

I love the album. My first full listen was amazing. I waited til my LP came in the mail.
I couldn't agree more. I was really hoping KNY would mine something like this kind of territory after hearing Rosemary and Tempest, but Palms is just the album I wanted to hear.
Electric Factory 5.10.2011 // Sherman Theater 3.12.2013 // Sands Bethlehem 8.02.2016 // Festival Pier 6.17.2017