Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Chi

Started by Sugartolove, Apr 14, 2013, 01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penicks

defTHE1s

Quote from: TheyCallMeP on Apr 16, 2013, 11:48 PM
RIP Chi, the Deftones have been my favorite band for a little over a decade now and your skill was undeniable. From backing vocals to bass work, thanks for crafting songs that helped shape my younger years. Gave SNW a spin today and listened to the bass on Cherry Waves, great stuff. You will be missed.
I did the same today and while I was on the bus and Cherry Waves started.. my eyes got wet...

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

defTHE1s

Quote from: bewareofrats on Apr 17, 2013, 02:12 AM
defTHE1s: Would you mind making room in your inbox?

Done.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

skinnypuppy

I can't listen to any of their music or I'll start crying.

Chi has rejoined the universe from which he came. Normally my tears of joy when someone lived a long life and their time came, but I can barely handle this news right now. This is harder than I ever imaged. RIP to one of the most sincere and talented musicians I've ever met, and thank you for giving me the music that changed my life. That made me not hate myself when I did. That gave me new friends, that introduced me to the music industry. And mostly, thank you for simply changing lives for the better. Thank you.

While at Coachella, I mourned while laying on the ground with 75 thousand people, staring up into the sky, while the xx perform a somber set. It was oddly perfect.

I almost cut the night short instead so I could be by myself and try to understand the situation and my emotions, but I know Chi wouldn't want me to mope around. He'd want me, and all of us, to try and connect to the universe. To connect with the sound that brought us all together. It was a very important moment for me to say "no, I will not collapse"

I love you, Chi. I miss you. Thank you.

bequietandshoveit

A worldwide donation day for the olfc site is set for Saturday, 4/20/13. It is an effort to help the Cheng family with Chi's expenses and show them our love.

More info here:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/465573620182217/

DJR

Dai the Flu and One Weak hit me the most, had them both looping on the bus to work....got really emotional on there :(

Sugartolove

http://oneloveforchi.com/one-love-family-gathering-sunday/

"Dear One Love Family,

We'd love for you to join the Cheng family on Sunday April 21, 2013 at 2:00pm for a One Love Family gathering at Oak Grove Regional Park in Stockton, CA on Eight mile road and i5 at the pavilion. Parking is $6 per car. Bring your own drinks etc. They have picnic tables and BBQ pits if you want to bring food.

Your outpouring of love and condolences is so very appreciated. Please come join the family as we pay a tribute of love to our dear Chi.

Love always,
Mom J, Chi & the Cheng Gang"

Sugartolove

Ming (Chi's brother), Jerry, Chi and Craig - COLD STEEL

Shared by Gina.  "Chi's first band, when the family lived in SoCal.. Chi is 2cd from right, Ming is on the Left.. other members Craig (right) Jerry (2cd from left)... circa 85 or 86. band name: COLD STEEL"

Inkblades

Wow, he looks so young! How old was he? Like 17?

jaypayton

without sounding like a dick, but I was more upset when news first hit that he had a car accident in 08....Its been obvious this was going to be the end result for a long time now, anyone who thought after being in a coma for 5 years that he was going to be making a miraculous recovery and return to the deftones is redic....As far as I am concerned Chi has been gone since the night of the accident...

ANattyRat

Quote from: jaypayton on Apr 18, 2013, 02:10 AM
without sounding like a dick, but I was more upset when news first hit that he had a car accident in 08....Its been obvious this was going to be the end result for a long time now, anyone who thought after being in a coma for 5 years that he was going to be making a miraculous recovery and return to the deftones is redic....As far as I am concerned Chi has been gone since the night of the accident...

I disagree, personally. I never expected him to return to the band, I assumed if he ever made that much progress in his recovery, it'd be when the band were no longer making music. But I did have hope he could recover, even if not 100%. People do, it just takes time. Call me naive, but I never really thought it'd end with him passing away, simply because it'd been so long and he'd fought so hard all this time.

I definitely understand what you mean, though, about the news of his car accident feeling worse. I was actually wondering if the band would be able to heal and move on quicker this way, after being used to him being alive, but not hanging out and speaking with him for so long like they're used to. That's not to say they won't be completely devastated, but I guess just the nature of it, of someone being there but not being completely there as you're used to.

DeftonesNZ

Same I didn't expect full recovery but I didn't expect him to die either, I think the band will be real twisted up and pissed off right now because they were upset seeing him like he was but they always thought he was going to get better eventually, now he's gone it's like all those years Chi had to suffer and all the stress his family went through was pointless given that he didn't even get to say a single word.

gwenudo

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Apr 18, 2013, 03:03 AM
Same I didn't expect full recovery but I didn't expect him to die either, I think the band will be real twisted up and pissed off right now because they were upset seeing him like he was but they always thought he was going to get better eventually, now he's gone it's like all those years Chi had to suffer and all the stress his family went through was pointless given that he didn't even get to say a single word.

I see what you mean and i understand, but i dont think it was pointless to be stressing out this whole time.. cause all of our love for chi was unconditional .. they all fought so hard to bring chi back to a recovery .. they just couldnt at the end .. but its never a waste of time to help your loved ones in need.. even if we all just sat there and prayed it wasnt a waste of time.. idk.. im kinda out of it right now.. my post probably didnt make much since.. still trying to comprehend how chi left us.. love you chi.. wish i couldve seen you man .. your the absolute best bass player ever i dont give a damn about the other bass players.. theyre good, but they will never touch my heart like you did.. thankyou once more..
Was it like it seemed?...

DeftonesNZ

Of course I didn't mean they'd be mad at him I meant more that they would be mad that Chi had to live like that for 4 years and didn't get any better , if he was going to pass they would of wanted him to go out peacefully and quickly not after 4 years of serious operations fighting off infections every week, man life's a bitch

Sugartolove

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 17, 2013, 11:56 PM
Wow, he looks so young! How old was he? Like 17?
The photo's from '85 or '86, so 15 or 16. His son Gabe plays bass in a band and he's the same age :)

sing blue silver

The full uncut version of this interview has just been released.

CHI CHENG DEFTONES DEATH TRIBUTE INTERVIEW

976-EVIL

Absolutely Brilliant thanks SBS...
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Northcal

R.I.P  Chi

Hidalgo

does anyone know ALL the studio songs Chi does backup vocals on? i know engine no.9 & needles & pins for sure, but i'm sure there's a few more. i should know this as diehard as i am, but i don't

Cullision

Quote from: Hidalgo on Apr 21, 2013, 02:03 AM
does anyone know ALL the studio songs Chi does backup vocals on? i know engine no.9 & needles & pins for sure, but i'm sure there's a few more. i should know this as diehard as i am, but i don't

How could you forget Damone?  :o