Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Favorite Chino Moreno project: ¿Team Sleep, Crosses or Palms?

Started by luisch, Jul 01, 2013, 02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

facedlikeacrow

So I've listened to everything in this category. Each of Chino's side projects has something very unique about them but also something similar. As far as the similarities it seems they all derive from electronic based ambient backgrounds but each still hold their own different Genre and unique sound. Let's start with Team sleep. That was a project long in the making starting in the White Pony era of Deftones. I'm not 100% sure but maybe even a little bit before it. The point I'm making is that it was the longest side project chino worked on. The full album wasn't even released until may of 2005. There were several tracks made before then that sounded completely different than what was finalized. Take Kool aid party for example. That slow droning guitar and vocals. When I first heard of the project I was watching Deftones on Music plus in 2001 which is a canadian music channel and chino mentioned the side project. I was feinding for years to hear something from it. I finally found that song probably around 2003 and I was confused. It was totally different than what I expected but of course it was just a demo so I wasn't too worried about it. I had a feeling that the music would come out sounding similar to Teenager eventually. Then while I was overseas I went and saw Matrix reloaded and bought the soundtrack because of course it had a new deftones song on it that would come out on the self titled album and Passportal from Team sleep. I listened to that track and thought "That's more like it" but of course it was just the instrumental version. Finally 2005 came around and Team Sleep was released. I fell in love with it instantly. It had this electronic groove and amazing guitar and drum work from live drum kits to drum boards and synthesizers. It told a wonderful poetic story. I couldn't wait for them to put out another album eventually. I did a remix for Ever a few years ago and I've done my own version of Ice Ache which I performed in front of a crowd of about 300 people. It was awesome. I had hoped that all of the unreleased tracks they were making would be put out as a second album, remastered along with stuff that wasn't heard but sadly it never happened but Chino was still keeping busy creating other Deftones albums as well as many many appearances with other artists whether they were well known or not so I was satisfied. Then 2011 came around and by chance I had read somewhere that he was working on another side project called Crosses. I took to searching and found the first EP and was immediately drawn to it like a crack addict. I was expecting something very similar to Team sleep and though it had resemblence to it it seemed more based on hip hop beats and well timed guitar work and much darker. Even though the time spent on this project was much shorter than Team Sleep it came out very well and a little bit better quality where as team sleep sounded more like it was geared toward being able to play everything live. And of course his vocals were a little more processed than previous works but at least it wasn't as obvious as a T-Pain album or some shit like that. (If you're gonna auto tune don't just hit the autotune button, draw the soundwave to help match the key you want to hit). I would say my best way to Describe crosses is a beautiful bloody project, something to that effect! Now comes this new project. I have never listened to Isis so I have no idea what they even sounded like but that's no matter. Palms is good but the way they recorded everything is kind of odd. Most of the work was done in each musicians home like the drum work on an electric drum kit. I love the sound, don't get me wrong but it just seemed like a lot of it was done in one single take and that's what they were satisfied with. Take the drums for example. Listen to Tropics and as soon as you hear the first bar of beats you hear it starts out at a different tempo than the rest of the track. as if the drummer wasn't paying attention to his own playing and then he caught up. The guitar work is great, has a very new wave feel to it but throughout most of the songs the pedal work for reverb, distortion and echo never change. I've had the album for two weeks now and I've barely listened to the full album more than a few times. As far as Chino's vocals, once again he recorded them in his home. The vocal synthesizers rarely change, there's a little too much reverb in some of the tracks. I'm not bashing on it at all. I like the album but still take a bit more favor towards Crosses and Team Sleep. I would describe palms as a recorded in home jam session between friends but still with a very beautiful feel to it.

Penicks

Quote from: facedlikeacrow on Jul 07, 2013, 06:56 AM
So I've listened to everything in this category. Each of Chino's side projects has something very unique about them but also something similar. As far as the similarities it seems they all derive from electronic based ambient backgrounds but each still hold their own different Genre and unique sound. Let's start with Team sleep. That was a project long in the making starting in the White Pony era of Deftones. I'm not 100% sure but maybe even a little bit before it. The point I'm making is that it was the longest side project chino worked on. The full album wasn't even released until may of 2005. There were several tracks made before then that sounded completely different than what was finalized. Take Kool aid party for example. That slow droning guitar and vocals. When I first heard of the project I was watching Deftones on Music plus in 2001 which is a canadian music channel and chino mentioned the side project. I was feinding for years to hear something from it. I finally found that song probably around 2003 and I was confused. It was totally different than what I expected but of course it was just a demo so I wasn't too worried about it. I had a feeling that the music would come out sounding similar to Teenager eventually. Then while I was overseas I went and saw Matrix reloaded and bought the soundtrack because of course it had a new deftones song on it that would come out on the self titled album and Passportal from Team sleep. I listened to that track and thought "That's more like it" but of course it was just the instrumental version. Finally 2005 came around and Team Sleep was released. I fell in love with it instantly. It had this electronic groove and amazing guitar and drum work from live drum kits to drum boards and synthesizers. It told a wonderful poetic story. I couldn't wait for them to put out another album eventually. I did a remix for Ever a few years ago and I've done my own version of Ice Ache which I performed in front of a crowd of about 300 people. It was awesome. I had hoped that all of the unreleased tracks they were making would be put out as a second album, remastered along with stuff that wasn't heard but sadly it never happened but Chino was still keeping busy creating other Deftones albums as well as many many appearances with other artists whether they were well known or not so I was satisfied. Then 2011 came around and by chance I had read somewhere that he was working on another side project called Crosses. I took to searching and found the first EP and was immediately drawn to it like a crack addict. I was expecting something very similar to Team sleep and though it had resemblence to it it seemed more based on hip hop beats and well timed guitar work and much darker. Even though the time spent on this project was much shorter than Team Sleep it came out very well and a little bit better quality where as team sleep sounded more like it was geared toward being able to play everything live. And of course his vocals were a little more processed than previous works but at least it wasn't as obvious as a T-Pain album or some shit like that. (If you're gonna auto tune don't just hit the autotune button, draw the soundwave to help match the key you want to hit). I would say my best way to Describe crosses is a beautiful bloody project, something to that effect! Now comes this new project. I have never listened to Isis so I have no idea what they even sounded like but that's no matter. Palms is good but the way they recorded everything is kind of odd. Most of the work was done in each musicians home like the drum work on an electric drum kit. I love the sound, don't get me wrong but it just seemed like a lot of it was done in one single take and that's what they were satisfied with. Take the drums for example. Listen to Tropics and as soon as you hear the first bar of beats you hear it starts out at a different tempo than the rest of the track. as if the drummer wasn't paying attention to his own playing and then he caught up. The guitar work is great, has a very new wave feel to it but throughout most of the songs the pedal work for reverb, distortion and echo never change. I've had the album for two weeks now and I've barely listened to the full album more than a few times. As far as Chino's vocals, once again he recorded them in his home. The vocal synthesizers rarely change, there's a little too much reverb in some of the tracks. I'm not bashing on it at all. I like the album but still take a bit more favor towards Crosses and Team Sleep. I would describe palms as a recorded in home jam session between friends but still with a very beautiful feel to it.

only pieces remain

ever hear of paragraphs?

Cullision

Quote from: pinkmaggit69 on Jul 06, 2013, 06:52 AM
Hearing Team Sleep open with Natalie Portman live in Portland.  Chills.

I would murder someone to experience this.

Bza々

The fuck is wrong with you? Are you retarded or drunk?

Gee

I'd give this post a C+. Good effort but lack of cohesion. Pursue in that direction til next semester.

Seriously, when I start writing long stuff like that it always end up with a "Fuck it" and a closing of the window after the 3rd line.

Anyway, Palms rocks. Curious to hear Crosses' LP.
"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno

lxix

TS - The original line up of Crook, Chino & Todd.
Demo days.

illthrowROCKS@U

I love all three.  But I'll go with Crosses, it's too early for the jury to be out on Palms and Team Sleep was always very hit-or-miss with me.  I mean I respect their stuff, and they have some awesome songs... but some others I'm just like.. what the fuck?
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

nicklav

I've seen all but Crosses live, so I think I need to see that to make a judgement. Team Sleep v. Palms though?

Palms.

nicklav

scarywindow

Easy enough.  Palms.  Hell, I actually prefer Palms over ANY band Chino is in.

Gee

Quote from: scarywindow on Jul 19, 2013, 11:16 PM
Easy enough.  Palms.  Hell, I actually prefer Palms over ANY band Chino is in.

Ha ha, good one.

Seriously, wait at least 3 albums to compare Palms and Deftones.
"When I show up, it's all good" Chino Moreno

elite54

[/quote]

Ha ha, good one.

[/quote]

scarywindow

Quote from: elite54 on Jul 21, 2013, 04:20 PM

Ha ha, good one.

[/quote]

I don't need to.  Palms' record already tops them all for me.  If my opinion makes you feel butthurt, ignore me.

Seriously, this isn't meant to be a troll or firestarter... I just prefer Palms over them all, no matter how many records they have out.  I feel like this is where Chino is best suited these days, and my opinion will not change, so no need to try.  Carry on.

elite54

No one is "butthurt" it is just pretty comical. To each their own, whatever. It might be what he is best suited for "these days" but it wasn't from 1995-2006. But I love Adrenaline, Around the Fur, White Pony, Self Titled, and Team Sleep.

deftones47

Sleepy31

I haven't heard the Team Sleep demos but I will say I wasn't a fan of the actual store released album. It had some good songs but overall I couldn't get into it. So Crosses>Palms>Team Sleep

digital bath

Quote from: Sleepy31 on Feb 10, 2014, 01:36 AM
I haven't heard the Team Sleep demos but I will say I wasn't a fan of the actual store released album. It had some good songs but overall I couldn't get into it. So Crosses>Palms>Team Sleep

Listen to it! I bet it would change your mind about Team Sleep.
I have the same "problem" with the studio album, it's ok but not a masterpiece it could have been.
I really hope they finally come up with a second studio album, I'm waiting almost years for that :(

Diplo

A second album studio would be great but I don't see Chino doing that, the voice and the state of mind seems not to be the same as before. So I would be disapointed I think.
But seriously, I like Crosses and Palm both but neither of them catch the magic of Team sleep, there is too much originality and talent.
A lot of song have the level of Deftones song to me and sometimes above, especially instrumentals song.

Check this out:
Team Sleep : "Ice Ache"