Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaptureWS

Also, I will be surprised if "Xenon" isn't released as a single at some point.

Xenon also sounds like it would fit in well on SNW.
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 04, 2016, 03:04 AM
Getting back to Gore..

Is there any kind of Smiths or Cure influence on any of these songs? I think I remember in the craziness that was SL yesterday somebody saying that Rubicon sounded like The Smiths going metal or something..?

That was me, but it was about Acid Hologram.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

pinata89

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 04, 2016, 03:57 AM
Quote from: NYRexall on Apr 04, 2016, 03:04 AM
Getting back to Gore..

Is there any kind of Smiths or Cure influence on any of these songs? I think I remember in the craziness that was SL yesterday somebody saying that Rubicon sounded like The Smiths going metal or something..?

That was me, but it was about Acid Hologram.
Yeah i would say Acid Hologram sounds the most like that

YouWOuldKnow

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 04, 2016, 03:56 AM
Quote from: YouWOuldKnow on Apr 04, 2016, 03:55 AM
Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 04, 2016, 02:53 AM
Quote from: ominousnimbus on Apr 04, 2016, 02:53 AM
So, Failure and HUM are both gods. If I'm being totally honest, I love Deftones, but those bands are on an even higher tier to me - among my favorites of all time.

Failure's The Heart Is a Monster from last year has to be one of the greatest comeback records after a 15+ year hiatus in rock history. As mentioned, it's not quite Fantastic Planet, but it's shockingly close to being that good. And best of all, they didn't accomplish that through token nostalgia that sounds like the old stuff but lacks a little of the soul - it's an incredibly creative effort with a new direction, and it's actually really fucking great.

I can't even imagine getting new HUM that's equally good, but it sounds like that may happen. What a grew few years for music.

Personally, I hear a noticeable Failure influence - circa Fantastic Planet - on Gore. This is especially true if you think about the darker tracks from FP, like "Heliotropic" or "Solaris." I'm not hearing as much HUM on this one, but they've no doubt left their mark on previous 'Tones material like "Knife Party."
This. +100. Great post bro.

Two of my favorite bands. After listening to Gore the first time I definitely felt some Failure vibes, especially in the production of the record. It really seems like they set out to make a trippy album as opposed to a collection of songs. Everything flows like Fantastic Planet or Magnified.
God, i'm so glad there are other Failure geeks on here

I know somebody also mentioned, but if you haven't already, check out the Life and Times. Excellent band in the Failure/Autolux vein

alligator

Hello, just a new user here!

Loving this new record, it is everything that I wanted from them since SNW. It has a lot of that "dark" atmosphere from S/T - SNW era, but with the matuarity of their latest works. Only complain is the "Pittura Infamante" intro, so fucking clowny. It kills the mood after such a beautiful song that Heart/Wires is, but in a really bad way. It sound like a fucking Mastodon riff (I love them too, don't get me wrong), completely out of place. Anyways, I'm really satisfied with Gore and I can't wait to get the CD for the good quality audio.

Sorry for my english, not a native speaker.

pinata89

Quote from: alligator on Apr 04, 2016, 04:00 AM
Hello, just a new user here!

Loving this new record, it is everything that I wanted from them since SNW. It has a lot of that "dark" atmosphere from S/T - SNW era, but with the matuarity of their latest works. Only complain is the "Pittura Infamante" intro, so fucking clowny. It kills the mood after such a beautiful song that Heart/Wires is, but in a really bad way. It sound like a fucking Mastodon riff (I love them too, don't get me wrong), completely out of place. Anyways, I'm really satisfied with Gore and I can't wait to get the CD for the good quality audio.

Sorry for my english, not a native speaker.
It's a great album! Welcome, and thx for the post

Far away

Im affraid my opinion about most part of the record might get me killed... to share or not to share...

pinata89

Quote from: YouWOuldKnow on Apr 04, 2016, 04:00 AM
Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 04, 2016, 03:56 AM
Quote from: YouWOuldKnow on Apr 04, 2016, 03:55 AM
Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 04, 2016, 02:53 AM
Quote from: ominousnimbus on Apr 04, 2016, 02:53 AM
So, Failure and HUM are both gods. If I'm being totally honest, I love Deftones, but those bands are on an even higher tier to me - among my favorites of all time.

Failure's The Heart Is a Monster from last year has to be one of the greatest comeback records after a 15+ year hiatus in rock history. As mentioned, it's not quite Fantastic Planet, but it's shockingly close to being that good. And best of all, they didn't accomplish that through token nostalgia that sounds like the old stuff but lacks a little of the soul - it's an incredibly creative effort with a new direction, and it's actually really fucking great.

I can't even imagine getting new HUM that's equally good, but it sounds like that may happen. What a grew few years for music.

Personally, I hear a noticeable Failure influence - circa Fantastic Planet - on Gore. This is especially true if you think about the darker tracks from FP, like "Heliotropic" or "Solaris." I'm not hearing as much HUM on this one, but they've no doubt left their mark on previous 'Tones material like "Knife Party."
This. +100. Great post bro.

Two of my favorite bands. After listening to Gore the first time I definitely felt some Failure vibes, especially in the production of the record. It really seems like they set out to make a trippy album as opposed to a collection of songs. Everything flows like Fantastic Planet or Magnified.
God, i'm so glad there are other Failure geeks on here

I know somebody also mentioned, but if you haven't already, check out the Life and Times. Excellent band in the Failure/Autolux vein
I've tried, and just not got the itch yet. Maybe at some point

pinata89

Quote from: Far away on Apr 04, 2016, 04:02 AM
Im affraid my opinion about most part of the record might get me killed... to share or not to share...
Share. I'm curious as to how bad you're wrong

Inkblades

It's very appropriate Gore features a Jerry Cantrell guitar solo, because this is easily the most 90's alternative/grunge-styled record of Deftones career. Holy shit! I'm actually somewhat shocked, because I was expecting much more of an 80's new wave flavor. P/T tricked me, I guess. And am I absolutely crazy or there a HUGE Stone Temple Pilots vibe in a lot of the songs here? Or maybe it's the poor quality of the rip and I'm hearing things?

Prayers/Triangles - Is P/T going to be the underrated Deftones single that Minerva, Hole in the Earth and Swerve fell pray to? Fine by me, because that's a fine category of songs to be grouped with.

Acid Hologram - This. Fucking. Song. It's so weird and beautiful. It's so filled with off-kilter doomsludge riffs and superior Frank textures. Definitely hear the MBV/SP comparisons. Really random, but the picture this song paints in my head? A beautiful, moonlit summer night garden party with young, beautiful couples. It's a gorgeous sight, but something is off. They are all barefoot. They all seem totally out of it. They dance like drugged psych ward patients. Once Frank's cyborg synths take over, you realize that this is all fake. It's some kind of virtual reality for slaves in some hellish dystopian clone factory. Kind of ridiculous, I know, but that's the vibe I get.

Doomed User - The abrupt rewinding tape at the end of AH going into DU is so fucking great...and kind of hilarious. It also plays into my theory on AH a little bit, and makes extra sense when you think about the very title of this song. Anyway, I think DU works much better within the context of the album. It could use some audible Frank keys, though.

Geometric Headdress - Like this a lot. It's bouncy and slinky when it's not being thrashy/punky. Also, props to Chino for rhyming headdress and temptress.

Hearts/Wires - Intro is epic. Chorus is epic. End of song is epic. This song feels like escaping to some strange and beautiful fantasyland to me. What else needs to be said?

Pittura Infamante - This one gets better as it goes along. Some cool riffs at the end. I think it will need more time to sink in, though.

Xenon - Probably the funkiest song they have ever written? Really good stuff. It's such a catchy, sexy song that you don't even realize that there really isn't a bridge to speak of and it doesn't even matter. And Abe kills this one.

(L)MIRL - Dunno why, but I'm getting some The Bends-era Radiohead vibes from this one. I like it, but I need more time with it. I think I like the beginning of the song better than the end of it.

Gore - It's good, but some of you were saying this is heavier than When Girls Telephone Boys and Hexagram. Really? It has heavy parts, no doubt, but the verses certainly aren't.

Phantom Bride - Oh, that main riff is such post-punk goodness. Really pretty stuff. Strangely enough, I actually don't think Cantrell's solo is even the best part of the song. Hopefully that changes when I hear a better version. That being said, Steph's riff at the end, combined with Cantrell's licks FUCKING SLAYS.

Rubicon - Wow, it's like Deftones, Glassjaw and Weezer had a baby. I like a lot, but I feel like it hasn't fully sunk in yet. I need to hear this one in better quality.

All in all, definitely a solid album. Probably the best of the Sergio era, IMO. Thematically/lyrically, I think Chino is definitely touching on helplessness/depression, past versions of oneself and overcoming addictions. That much is clear, and that might be why it feels a little more immediate than DE and KNY?

pinata89

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 04, 2016, 04:04 AM
It's very appropriate Gore features a Jerry Cantrell guitar solo, because this is easily the most 90's alternative/grunge-styled record of Deftones career. Holy shit! I'm actually somewhat shocked, because I was expecting much more of an 80's new wave flavor. P/T tricked me, I guess. And am I absolutely crazy or there a HUGE Stone Temple Pilots vibe in a lot of the songs here? Or maybe it's the poor quality of the rip and I'm hearing things?

Prayers/Triangles - Is P/T going to be the underrated Deftones single that Minerva, Hole in the Earth and Swerve fell pray to? Fine by me, because that's a fine category of songs to be grouped with.

Acid Hologram - This. Fucking. Song. It's so weird and beautiful. It's so filled with off-kilter doomsludge riffs and superior Frank textures. Definitely hear the MBV/SP comparisons. Really random, but the picture this song paints in my head? A beautiful, moonlit summer night garden party with young, beautiful couples. It's a gorgeous sight, but something is off. They are all barefoot. They all seem totally out of it. They dance like drugged psych ward patients. Once Frank's cyborg synths take over, you realize that this is all fake. It's some kind of virtual reality for slaves in some hellish dystopian clone factory. Kind of ridiculous, I know, but that's the vibe I get.

Doomed User - The abrupt rewinding tape at the end of AH going into DU is so fucking great...and kind of hilarious. It also plays into my theory on AH a little bit, and makes extra sense when you think about the very title of this song. Anyway, I think DU works much better within the context of the album. It could use some audible Frank keys, though.

Geometric Headdress - Like this a lot. It's bouncy and slinky when it's not being thrashy/punky. Also, props to Chino for rhyming headdress and temptress.

Hearts/Wires - Intro is epic. Chorus is epic. End of song is epic. This song feels like escaping to somewhere strange and beautiful fantasyland to me. What else needs to be said?

Pittura Infamante - This one gets better as it goes along. Some cool riffs at the end. I think it will need more time to sink in, though.

Xenon - Probably the funkiest song they have ever written? Really good stuff. It's such a catchy, sexy song that you don't even realize that there really isn't a bridge to speak of and it doesn't even matter. And Abe kills this one.

(L)MIRL - Dunno why, but I'm getting some The Bends-era Radiohead vibes from this one. I like it, but I need more time with it. I think I like the beginning of the song better than the end of it.

Gore - It's good, but some of you were saying this is heavier than When Girls Telephone Boys and Hexagram. Really? It has heavy parts, no doubt, but the verses certainly aren't.

Phantom Bride - Oh, that main riff is such post-punk goodness. Really pretty stuff. Strangely enough, I actually don't think Cantrell's solo is even the best part of the song. Hopefully that changes when I hear a better version. That being said, Steph's riff at the end, combined with Cantrell's licks FUCKING SLAYS.

Rubicon - Wow, it's like Deftones, Glassjaw and Weezer had a baby. I like a lot, but I feel like it hasn't fully sunk in yet. I need to hear this one in better quality.

All in all, definitely a solid album. Probably the best of the Sergio era, IMO. Thematically/lyrically, I think Chino is definitely touching on helplessness/depression, past versions of oneself and overcoming addictions. That much is clear, and that might be why it feels a little more immediate than DE and KNY?
I love it

Far away

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 04, 2016, 04:03 AM

Plain and simple, I just finished listening for the first time and despite 3, 4 songs, the rest does not remind me the band. Its just me, prolly, since most ppl are in love with it. Its just too diferent. And I dont like changes, not in that scale. Ok WP was a big one but w/e. Songs like Geometric Headdress, not my thing.

BUT, Acid Hologram is cool. Hearts/Wires is amazing. (L)mirl is a good one and I liked Phantom bride and Rubicon as well (I sensed a little Failure in this one)

ok Sharing Lungs, kill me now.

pelican fly

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 04, 2016, 04:04 AM

Acid Hologram - This. Fucking. Song. It's so weird and beautiful. It's so filled with off-kilter doomsludge riffs and superior Frank textures. Definitely hear the MBV/SP comparisons. Really random, but the picture this song paints in my head? A beautiful, moonlit summer night garden party with young, beautiful couples. It's a gorgeous sight, but something is off. They are all barefoot. They all seem totally out of it. They dance like drugged psych ward patients. Once Frank's cyborg synths take over, you realize that this is all fake. It's some kind of virtual reality for slaves in some hellish dystopian clone factory. Kind of ridiculous, I know, but that's the vibe I get

lol nice

Mr Blonde

Quote from: Far away on Apr 04, 2016, 04:09 AM

Plain and simple, I just finished listening for the first time and despite 3, 4 songs, the rest does not remind me the band. Its just me, prolly, since most ppl are in love with it. Its just too diferent. And I dont like changes, not in that scale. Ok WP was a big one but w/e. Songs like Geometric Headdress, not my thing.

BUT, Acid Hologram is cool. Hearts/Wires is amazing. (L)mirl is a good one and I liked Phantom bride and Rubicon as well (I sensed a little Failure in this one)

Nobody can kill Bronson

pinata89

Stone me now, but Phantom Bride is my least favorite song off this album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Far away

Quote from: Mr Blonde on Apr 04, 2016, 04:11 AM
Quote from: Far away on Apr 04, 2016, 04:09 AM

Nobody can kill Bronson

theres that :D

pelican fly

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 04, 2016, 04:12 AM

totally agree. It doesn't do anything for me and neither does that solo and I love most of Jerry's work.

glassdomino

the entire album reminds me of the first time i heard hole in the earth.  i really like it.  it's always exciting to hear them go in different directions.

pinata89

Quote from: pelican fly on Apr 04, 2016, 04:16 AM
Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 04, 2016, 04:12 AM

totally agree. It doesn't do anything for me and neither does that solo and I love most of Jerry's work.
I tried to like it, but it just doesn't strike a nerve with me. I wish it did, but it just doesn't so it for me

pinata89

Do*