Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freedomsoldier17

I enjoy it so far. There are a few tracks I'm kind of meh on but honestly, over half of DT material I didn't like on first listen, it grew on me. So it may be a few days, weeks, months even.

E-Money

Got to listen to the whole thing once before bed last night. I really enjoyed the real thing.. We were missing so much with the vinyl rip. Lmirl is so freaking gorgeous. What an incredible song! And Rubicon might be my favorite song they've ever written. Loving the record. They always push forward and evolve.

thetimeisdead

The album is not as immediate as KNY or Diamond Eyes were. Those albums have more "hit-sounding" songs. I don't see that in Gore, except for Phantom Bride or Doomed User.

The album didn't grab me at first listen, because I was subconsciously expecting the "hits". But after repeated listens I forgot that and welcomed darker songs like Acid Hologram, Gore or Xenon.

It's not strange that they chose Prayers and Doomed User as singles, as they are the more "friendly" songs, hooks, chorus, verses... But the beauty of the album lies on the other songs.

thetimeisdead

But one thing's for sure... The songs will sound fantastic when played live. Can't wait to see them again. I'm from Argentina, so I must wait...  >:(

illthrowROCKS@U

So I'm pretty sure I'm stupid.

I got the FLAC just fine yesterday.  Didn't really know how to play it at first, but someone helped me and I ended up downloading VLC Player.  Okay, great.  I only really had time to sit and listen to Acid Hologram and it sounded fantastic, but I don't really have headphones so I was just listening through my crappy laptop speakers.  Whatever, it was still noticeably different.

I wasn't sure how to burn FLAC to a disc to listen to it in the car.  I couldn't find a way to do it within the VLC player, so I just did it through explorer.. the ol' click and drag.  Excellent, so the FLAC files moved to my CD.  I thought everything was going to be well and good, until I got in my car to go to work this morning and... nothing happened!  Just silence :(

So really, I've still only heard the vinyl rip at this point.  How can I get the songs to play in my car?  Not a tech guy, just a lowly CPA.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

WithoutMyJade

Quote from: phil for real on Apr 06, 2016, 03:32 PM
I guess to some people the album isn't "br00tal" enough lolol.

You know, to each their own but if I'm being truthful to myself, I don't see them putting out another "heavy" album. And it kind of bums me out that many of their fans refuse to see the writing that's been on the wall for years now.  Chino said it in an interview years ago...  The reason he's not writing a bunch of screaming part is because he wants to continue in the band  for years to come, not blow his voice out for the sake of making a "brutal" album
Oz... if you come within 25 miles of my house, I will back a car over your head 75 times.

thetimeisdead

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 06, 2016, 03:38 PM

I got the FLAC just fine yesterday.  Didn't really know how to play it at first, but someone helped me and I ended up downloading VLC Player.  Okay, great.  I only really had time to sit and listen to Acid Hologram and it sounded fantastic, but I don't really have headphones so I was just listening through my crappy laptop speakers.  Whatever, it was still noticeably different.

I wasn't sure how to burn FLAC to a disc to listen to it in the car.  I couldn't find a way to do it within the VLC player, so I just did it through explorer.. the ol' click and drag.  Excellent, so the FLAC files moved to my CD.  I thought everything was going to be well and good, until I got in my car to go to work this morning and... nothing happened!  Just silence :(

So really, I've still only heard the vinyl rip at this point.  How can I get the songs to play in my car?  Not a tech guy, just a lowly CPA.

Winamp plays FLAC perfectly, and Nero burns CDs with FLAC content.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: thetimeisdead on Apr 06, 2016, 03:36 PM
The album is not as immediate as KNY or Diamond Eyes were.

Really?  Personally, I thought the exact opposite.  DE and KNY were growers to me, very disappointing in those early days.  Still fairly disappointing, and live at the bottom of my Deftones heap.  Gore, on the other hand, has been immediate for me.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

gwenudo

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 06, 2016, 03:38 PM

What you need to do is download a free program called Burrrn (yes 3 r's) and burn it from there, this burns flac files into audible files without loosing quality
Was it like it seemed?...

LG95

Quote from: WithoutMyJade on Apr 06, 2016, 03:25 PM
I'm sure that this may have been discussed at length throughout the last hundred or so pages, but one thing that really surprises me is the varied response to the album. Honestly, for the most part, you guys are loving this album well more than I expected. But a few friends of mine who have heard it are very split on the album. One of them absolutely adores it, while the other, a fan since the beginning that has listened to every album released with me, is calling it boring. What I'm wondering is whether or not the album is universally good because it is just good music, and it's as simple as that, or if it is the experience/emotional connection that it provides the listener? Like, is it really possible, after eight albums of material, that there could be such a rift between listeners  where something that is dull and boring to one individual is breathtaking end game-changing for another?

Just something that I noticed that surprised me. I'd like to hear your opinions, as I have yet to listen to it but, depending on the events of today, I may crack and listen.
I think it's partly because it's one of those albums that has to grow - like I cannot see this being the sort of album that wears off really quickly. There's a lot of songs that depend on having listened to them multiple times. For some people, this sort of record may be a little boring at first. Almost every Deftones album has taken me a few listens to get into; Diamond Eyes bored me on first listen, White Pony didn't strike me as anything like the masterpiece that it obviously is when I first heard it, Around The Fur took a while. There's a certain immediacy obviously but albums that have to grow on you may often strike you as a little dull on first listen. So I can understand someone not being instantly grabbed by Gore initially. I knew it was really good the first time I heard it but part of that was because I could tell even on a crappy vinyl rip that there was a diverseness to it, that there were layers that I was going to discover ten or twenty listens in. I think this record is going to stick for people and some who aren't instantly impressed will slowly become so.

Having said that, I don't think the variation in response is surprising or unusual - every album ever made gets varied responses. I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the reaction to this album.
I could float here forever

2MoreHours

Quote from: lahemi on Apr 06, 2016, 03:21 PM
Hm. It's okay, I guess. It is a good album, it sounds and feels cohesive, has a couple of good songs and beautiful lyrics, but overall it has more filler than standout tracks. For me that is, and on the second listen. Some tracks I just don't feel like I will have the urge to listen to again, ever. Those tracks sound just bland and boring to me.
I like that they did something new, it most certainly sounds und feels fresh, but to me it's far from being a Deftones album I wished for.
White Pony and the selftitled are my untouchable classics from them, ATF and KNY not close behind, but Gore struggles to surpass DE and even SNW for me. For now of course.

I'm kind of with you at this point but it's a little early for me to form a strong opinion.  I'm really disappointed in the production of Rubicon because it's such an amazing song but just flat out sounds shitty production wise.  That's the one song I wish they would have done a KNY style production on.  There are some good songs on here but it's just missing something "heaviness" wise. 

jciraheta

dam i can put the flack version on my ipod  for some reason, just hear it on the computer

gwenudo

Quote from: jciraheta on Apr 06, 2016, 03:45 PM
dam i can put the flack version on my ipod  for some reason, just hear it on the computer
Are you able to listen to it in itunes? You need an audio converter. One that can turn the FLAC file into ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Code i think) that way you can put it on itunes and on to your ipod

thetimeisdead

You need to transfer the files to MP3 or M4A to play on an iPod or iPhone

phil for real

Quote from: WithoutMyJade on Apr 06, 2016, 03:40 PM

You know, to each their own but if I'm being truthful to myself, I don't see them putting out another "heavy" album. And it kind of bums me out that many of their fans refuse to see the writing that's been on the wall for years now.  Chino said it in an interview years ago...  The reason he's not writing a bunch of screaming part is because he wants to continue in the band  for years to come, not blow his voice out for the sake of making a "brutal" album

I don't want them to put out a heavy album honestly.  I mean I prefer the more moody, atmospheric Deftones.  The "heavier" Deftones songs are solid, but I'd be just fine without songs like Gore. 

gwenudo

Quote from: thetimeisdead on Apr 06, 2016, 03:47 PM

You need to transfer the files to MP3 or M4A to play on an iPod or iPhone
He'll loose quality if he does that, best two ways is ALAC or WAV

thetimeisdead

Quote from: phil for real on Apr 06, 2016, 03:47 PM
Quote from: WithoutMyJade on Apr 06, 2016, 03:40 PM

I don't want them to put out a heavy album honestly.  I mean I prefer the more moody, atmospheric Deftones.  The "heavier" Deftones songs are solid, but I'd be just fine without songs like Gore.

Count me too. I prefer this side of Deftones, a lot more than the "brutal-heavy" one.

phil for real

It just baffles me that some people expect Deftones to put out some unbelievably heavy album or something similar to Adrenaline lol.  It's simply never going to happen.  Adrenaline is a terrible album.  I mean, I get if you got into them with that album and it holds nostalgia, but it's just not a good album by any means.  I want the band to keep progressing and it always blows my mind when I see people complaining about them not being "heavy" lol.  They're at their best when writing moody music.  Not saying the riffs can't be chunky, but it's not going to be full on aggression the entire time. 

MammothSound

That's been the same story for 16 years with the 90's metal heads. Whatever. The soundscape of this album is all over the place like every Deftones album. Overall, I find Abe and Steph's sound to be much more punishing on Gore over DE and KNY.

thetimeisdead

Adrenaline is the past. We all loved it when we were kids, but I'm so glad that they never returned to that sound.