Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil for real

Quote from: MammothSound on Apr 06, 2016, 03:52 PM
Quote from: phil for real on Apr 06, 2016, 03:32 PM
I guess to some people the album isn't "br00tal" enough lolol.

That's been the same story for 16 years with the 90's metal heads. Whatever. The soundscape of this album is all over the place like every Deftones album. Overall, I find Abe and Steph's sound to be much more punishing on Gore over DE and KNY.

Yeah I've just never looked at Deftones as a metal band.  I really didn't think many people did, but then I saw some of the comments about the album and it blew my mind lol.  It's clear that Chino is heavy into shoegaze and lush sounds.  That's the best part about Deftones to me.  The beautiful angelic parts.  If it weren't for Chino and Stef had his way this would have been some generic metal band.  Not a knock on Stef, but it's unfortunately true.  I personally was thrilled when I found out Chino handled most of the songwriting and it clearly shines through.

snw9

Quote from: thetimeisdead on Apr 06, 2016, 03:53 PM
Adrenaline is the past. We all loved it when we were kids, but I'm so glad that they never returned to that sound.

I doubt anyone of the band members would go back to that, there is way too much growth and maturity now.
Code: [Select]

kleptoned

Quote from: phil for real on Apr 06, 2016, 03:51 PM
It just baffles me that some people expect Deftones to put out some unbelievably heavy album or something similar to Adrenaline lol.  It's simply never going to happen.  Adrenaline is a terrible album.  I mean, I get if you got into them with that album and it holds nostalgia, but it's just not a good album by any means.  I want the band to keep progressing and it always blows my mind when I see people complaining about them not being "heavy" lol.  They're at their best when writing moody music.  Not saying the riffs can't be chunky, but it's not going to be full on aggression the entire time. 
This ...  I started with Adrenaline so it will always be my favorite due to that but evolving with the music as they do is great.

BallZDeeP

Whats up dudes? How is everyone?

illthrowROCKS@U

It's not so much Adrenaline style heaviness I want a little more of... Just more S/T style heaviness a la WGTB, Hexagram, etc.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

phil for real

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 06, 2016, 03:59 PM
It's not so much Adrenaline style heaviness I want a little more of... Just more S/T style heaviness a la WGTB, Hexagram, etc.

I mean yeah, I love WGTB, but I'd much prefer songs like Battle Axe, Deathblow, Anniversary, Minerva, etc.  I love Self Titled.  It's prob my fav album.  If I had to describe it, I'd probably call it Doomgaze.

pony_01

Quote from: beaverwithfishyshoes on Apr 06, 2016, 04:39 AM
Quote from: 77years on Apr 06, 2016, 04:34 AM
Quote from: beaverwithfishyshoes on Apr 06, 2016, 04:32 AM
remember Chino is totally cool with all this.

I'll make it up to him on the tour with a nice reach-around

dont make the other guys jealous

he is totally onto us guys.. sharing leaks = sharinglungs

MammothSound

At this point in their career, it's Acid Hologram style heaviness I want.

phil for real

Yeah I'm completely fine w the direction they're going.  I've always wanted them to do a very mellow spacey album full of songs like Digital Bath, Rx Queen, Sextape, Rosemary, Hearts/Wires, etc.  Would love that.

beaverwithfishyshoes

Quote from: pony_01 on Apr 06, 2016, 04:04 PM
Quote from: beaverwithfishyshoes on Apr 06, 2016, 04:39 AM
Quote from: 77years on Apr 06, 2016, 04:34 AM
Quote from: beaverwithfishyshoes on Apr 06, 2016, 04:32 AM
remember Chino is totally cool with all this.

I'll make it up to him on the tour with a nice reach-around

dont make the other guys jealous

he is totally onto us guys.. sharing leaks = sharinglungs

no wai

MammothSound

Quote from: phil for real on Apr 06, 2016, 04:09 PM
Yeah I'm completely fine w the direction they're going.  I've always wanted them to do a very mellow spacey album full of songs like Digital Bath, Rx Queen, Sextape, Rosemary, Hearts/Wires, etc.  Would love that.

I would love that as well. Add Cherry Waves, Xerces, Deathblow, and 967-EVIL to that and it's a sexy playlist.

ANattyRat

Me too, but Chino can't scream like that anymore. I mean, he can in the studio and he can live at times, but not so consistently that he could do it over and over without it affecting him. Dude is working with what he's got, he's not trying to kill himself for the sake of those raw, visceral screams throughout an entire song anymore. And it's a shame because they're amazing, but it's just the reality, so it's cool.

Heaviness is good, but I like the moody, atmospheric, dark stuff, and I've definitely got more of that on Gore than the last two albums, so me personally, I'm happy as hell about that. It's not as raw as self-titled, but that's probably because the darkness, sadness, etc. isn't quite as close to them since they're all doing pretty well currently, whereas self-titled era was hard for them. This is more of a creative darkness or moodiness, so a different sound, but still welcome for me.

snakcharmr

What size is the FLAC file?

sharinglungs

Quote from: snakcharmr on Apr 06, 2016, 04:24 PM
What size is the FLAC file?

Should be 342MB

Usurper

Would love a PM for the flac if it's not a bother.
Curious how it compares to the HQ.
-[usurper]-

Jville808

So there's a FLAC file? I'd be happy with ANY decent CD rip about now. I jumped ahead about 100 pages from where I was last night, and people were throwing out email addresses. If anybody is still sending out the emails, mine is my user name here (forum name) at hotmail.com. Thanks!

Jville808

Quote from: Jville808 on Apr 06, 2016, 04:40 PM
So there's a FLAC file? I'd be happy with ANY decent CD rip about now. I jumped ahead about 100 pages from where I was last night, and people were throwing out email addresses. If anybody is still sending out the emails, mine is my user name here (forum name) at hotmail.com. Thanks!

a PM will work as well of course  :o

redeemer96

So is the V0 quality version Ive been seeing everywhere a direct CD rip or what kind is it?

Been listening nonstop, while not the best its one of their best albums nd Im sure most people here will agree.

lahemi

Quote from: 2MoreHours on Apr 06, 2016, 03:43 PM
Quote from: lahemi on Apr 06, 2016, 03:21 PM
Hm. It's okay, I guess. It is a good album, it sounds and feels cohesive, has a couple of good songs and beautiful lyrics, but overall it has more filler than standout tracks. For me that is, and on the second listen. Some tracks I just don't feel like I will have the urge to listen to again, ever. Those tracks sound just bland and boring to me.
I like that they did something new, it most certainly sounds und feels fresh, but to me it's far from being a Deftones album I wished for.
White Pony and the selftitled are my untouchable classics from them, ATF and KNY not close behind, but Gore struggles to surpass DE and even SNW for me. For now of course.

I'm kind of with you at this point but it's a little early for me to form a strong opinion.  I'm really disappointed in the production of Rubicon because it's such an amazing song but just flat out sounds shitty production wise.  That's the one song I wish they would have done a KNY style production on.  There are some good songs on here but it's just missing something "heaviness" wise. 

It's not a strong opinion by any stretch, of course it'll need time to sink in. But yeah, that's what it feels like for now, and it marks the first time that I feel any kind of scepticism after an album release of them (and I listen to them since ATF btw).
I don't like Rubicon by the way, I anticipated that song so much after what you guys wrote about it, but meh.
Most of the songs I don't like because of Chino's performance sadly. Not because of his voice - he sounds much better than on KNY and DE, so much more organic and "real" - but I just don't get his melodies, so annoying! The choruses on Xenon, (L)mirl and Phantom Bride to be specific.
Oh, and did anyone else noticed the similarity of Hearts/Wires and Rattle That Lock by David Gilmour? Just in the verse, and just the rhythm, but it's there isn't it? Kinda funny, since the intro sounds so much like Pink Floyd and all. ^^

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: redeemer96 on Apr 06, 2016, 04:49 PM
So is the V0 quality version Ive been seeing everywhere a direct CD rip or what kind is it?

Been listening nonstop, while not the best its one of their best albums nd Im sure most people here will agree.

Ripped directly from CD.  A member on here (who shall remain nameless, unless they choose to throw their name out that is) was fortunate enough to get their hands on a copy.  He had a friend (also on this forum) do all the dirty work in creating the file and it was distributed from there with the help of a few other forum members.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem