Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gwenudo

Quote from: sooniletugo on Apr 14, 2016, 01:24 PM
Sergio album*
It could go that way as well, this is Sergios best album hes put out. Either way, chino album, sergio album, its not a deftones record if its not everybody working together as a whole
Was it like it seemed?...

ANattyRat

I read that Sergio came up with a lot of ideas, so I'd say he deserves a name in there too next to Chino, haha. But didn't the band get together and jam a lot while Chino was on tour with Crosses or whatever? Stef's ideas did also end up on the album in some forms, I'd bet, but yeah, there probably wasn't as big a push-and-pull and attempt to outdo each other that they've described with past albums, for reasons that have been discussed to death.

Please though, can we not do this "____ isn't a Deftones album" thing? Or act like only this album to that album is their core sound? Because it's not. Stef might not have had as big a part of the album as he usually does, but if it was an album full entirely or even mostly of Chino ideas, we'd know it. The other band members still exist, and hell, even if most of the ideas were thought up by Chino (though not all were), the other guys (all of them, not just Stef) take the initial ideas and run with them, add things to them, change parts, etc. Who knows how far from the original ideas the end results were?

Anyway, every album that they've made is Deftones. It doesn't matter whether an album doesn't sound like the way you, individually, define their core sound, because their core sound is basically to not be limited by one sound. And that's why every album they make can be described as "Sounds like Deftones, but different than their other albums." Even if you hate the album, you can describe it that way.

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 14, 2016, 01:25 PM
Sergio album*
It could go that way as well, this is Sergios best album hes put out. Either way, chino album, sergio album, its not a deftones record if its not everybody working together as a whole

They were working together, alright. Just minus Stef's whole efforts at the beginning. By that logic Saturday Night Wrist isn't a Deftones album because they weren't working together or communicating, they just sent their parts back and forth until something managed to make a song. That stuff happens, but they're still working together. It's not like you have to split the initial ideas into an equal share among members for it to count as working together. People come up with ideas, the rest put forth their input, influence and eventually it becomes a song.

Now all just shut up about which albums are their peak Deftones sound and how the rest aren't, and listen to your favourite album and be happy, haha.

gwenudo

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 14, 2016, 01:30 PM
I read that Sergio came up with a lot of ideas, so I'd say he deserves a name in there too next to Chino, haha. But didn't the band get together and jam a lot while Chino was on tour with Crosses or whatever? Stef's ideas did also end up on the album in some forms, I'd bet, but yeah, there probably wasn't as big a push-and-pull and attempt to outdo each other that they've described with past albums, for reasons that have been discussed to death.

Please though, can we not do this "____ isn't a Deftones album" thing? Or act like only this album to that album is their core sound? Because it's not. Stef might not have had as big a part of the album as he usually does, but if it was an album full entirely or even mostly of Chino ideas, we'd know it. The other band members still exist, and hell, even if most of the ideas were thought up by Chino (though not all were), the other guys (all of them, not just Stef) take the initial ideas and run with them, add things to them, change parts, etc. Who knows how far from the original ideas the end results were?

Anyway, every album that they've made is Deftones. It doesn't matter whether an album doesn't sound like the way you, individually, define their core sound, because their core sound is basically to not be limited by one sound. And that's why every album they make can be described as "Sounds like Deftones, but different than their other albums." Even if you hate the album, you can describe it that way.

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 14, 2016, 01:25 PM
Sergio album*

They were working together, alright. Just minus Stef's whole efforts at the beginning. By that logic Saturday Night Wrist isn't a Deftones album because they weren't working together or communicating, they just sent their parts back and forth until something managed to make a song. That stuff happens, but they're still working together. It's not like you have to split the initial ideas into an equal share among members for it to count as working together. People come up with ideas, the rest put forth their input, influence and eventually it becomes a song.

Now all just shut up about which albums are their peak Deftones sound and how the rest aren't, and listen to your favourite album and be happy, haha.
Lol at the end. No yea i get what you mean, but i dont think some of you guys are getting what i am saying. Its not the sound, Gore is right next to SNW for me, its awesome. When i say this isnt deftones, i am saying they didnt come up with this all together, they essentially built this off of Chinos ideas (or Sergios) .. But alright, ill stop saying that just for the sake of not confusing people.. Although ive been talking to many people here on SL, and most of them feel the same, except im the only guy who had the balls to say it lol.

Far away

I kinda understand what you are saying gwenudo, and in a way, I think you are right, BUT...

I think theres a lot more to it. They are getting older, they lost a close friend (3 years ago, yesterday, RIP Chi), they added a diferent guy to the band, etc. I gotta admit, Gore is a good album, but not even close to my standards. I used to listen to their first 4 records from 1st to last song, nonstop. Since SNW (wich I think its a weak record, even tho I like 2 or 3 songs) I feel like something changed, and maybe its me. Dont get me wrong, I like DE and KNY in general, but the bar was set too high, for me, and the last 3 records missed something. Or they changed. Or I did. Either way, it is what it is now.

I dont think calling Gore a "non Deftones record" because Chino has more influence on it, accurate. Seems more like they are in a diferent place now and maybe Stef is not there. Yet (maybe?). All points are valid though and that is just my take on it.

A personnal note, its taking me waay more to digest their last records. I remember getting hooked to those first records in a heartbeat. Now I gotta listen and pay more atention, its weird... but that doest not mean I cant enjoy them. For instance, (L)mirl and Hearts/wires and Rubicon are fantastic, songs that remind me why I love them so much. Acid hologram, Prayers/Triangles, Phantom bride and Xenon are really good as well.

Maybe I'm the problem, lol... :(
Cheers

77years

Bands evolve from the same original idea and musical DNA

I'm not the person I was in 2000

But I still have the same name

Just turn up the music and don't worry about it

ANattyRat

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 14, 2016, 01:45 PM
Lol at the end. No yea i get what you mean, but i dont think some of you guys are getting what i am saying. Its not the sound, Gore is right next to SNW for me, its awesome. When i say this isnt deftones, i am saying they didnt come up with this all together, they essentially built this off of Chinos ideas (or Sergios) .. But alright, ill stop saying that just for the sake of not confusing people.. Although ive been talking to many people here on SL, and most of them feel the same, except im the only guy who had the balls to say it lol.

Nah dude, I get what you're saying. But it's like...have they ever all come up with it together? Isn't this what they usually do, they come up with ideas of their own and then get together and work with those ideas until they make songs from them? I understand what you mean, I can understand people saying it's mostly Chino or Sergio's ideas, but I just think, screw it, it's still Deftones, the others still took those ideas and did their stuff to it.

If the next album was mostly Stef ideas, people wouldn't be saying it's a Stef album, not a Deftones one, they'd be ecstatic that there's an album with so much creative input from him, haha. So that's basically how I see all their albums. They've still all had their influences on the ideas people first put forth, and other ideas from other band members have still made it to the album, so for me it's not much different except Stef wasn't excited early enough to bring even more input onto the album. I'm hopeful next time he'll be willing and in the right mental space to do that though.

elchino

Quote from: Gore on Apr 13, 2016, 04:12 AM
Quote from: shin on Apr 13, 2016, 02:22 AM
Quote from: TheyCallMeP on Apr 11, 2016, 10:48 AM
Has anyone else thought that this record is about one woman? Not like a concept album, more like a common theme.

My take:

Doomed User: I have to assume drug use
Geometric Headdress: love/hate relationship
(L)MIRL: I don't miss you/ I don't care where you are
Gore: She is the aftermath (gore) of the guy's choices. His vice

Phantom Bride: direct thoughts about the woman. She is dead to him, maybe not literally but figuratively

I was also reading someones take that Prayers/Triangles was about depression which, I don't know if I buy, would fit into this theme.

Even if I'm way off, it makes the album fun when I listen

To me Gore is about Sergio:

Smile, now you're all set
Surprise, you're now one of the gang (Chino is saying that he brought Sergio into the the fold and now he's one of the gang)
Take what you want to take (Make yourself feel at home in the band)
Surprise. you're now running the game (possibly referencing that Sergio has become a big part in the songwriting process especially on Gore which the band has said was mostly influenced and written by Chino and Sergio).
Surprise, you're now one of the gang
Take what you want to take
Surprise you're home (You're one of us now)

The song in my mind is Chino welcoming Sergio into the Deftones fold and stating that he's gone from being the replacement bass player to being an integral part of the band.

Develop the taste that will tie us together  (Chino's referring to the creative process between himself and Sergio)
I put you in this game (Chino brought Sergio into Deftones)
Just remind yourself

The line "At night we assemble the hunt for our prizes" is about preparing for the show at night, getting ready to perform for a show.

That's my interpretation of the song 'Gore' anyway. As soon as I heard it that's what came to my mind

Nice to be back here, haven't posted anything in a long long while. The last time I remember posting the band was writing 'Eros'.
Some of you might remember me, my username was PinkMaggit (not PinkMaggit99, that was someone else).

reading song interpretations are so funny. you guys take it really seriously. you can pretty much interpret any song to mean anything you want it to mean. its pointless to try to figure out what the original writer if referring to. just enjoy the ear candy.

ANattyRat

Quote from: elchino on Apr 14, 2016, 03:00 PM
Has anyone else thought that this record is about one woman? Not like a concept album, more like a common theme.

My take:

Phantom Bride: direct thoughts about the woman. She is dead to him, maybe not literally but figuratively

I was also reading someones take that Prayers/Triangles was about depression which, I don't know if I buy, would fit into this theme.

Surprise, you're now one of the gang (Chino is saying that he brought Sergio into the the fold and now he's one of the gang)
Surprise. you're now running the game (possibly referencing that Sergio has become a big part in the songwriting process especially on Gore which the band has said was mostly influenced and written by Chino and Sergio).

The song in my mind is Chino welcoming Sergio into the Deftones fold and stating that he's gone from being the replacement bass player to being an integral part of the band.

Develop the taste that will tie us together  (Chino's referring to the creative process between himself and Sergio)
Just remind yourself

The line "At night we assemble the hunt for our prizes" is about preparing for the show at night, getting ready to perform for a show.

That's my interpretation of the song 'Gore' anyway. As soon as I heard it that's what came to my mind

Nice to be back here, haven't posted anything in a long long while. The last time I remember posting the band was writing 'Eros'.
Some of you might remember me, my username was PinkMaggit (not PinkMaggit99, that was someone else).

reading song interpretations are so funny. you guys take it really seriously. you can pretty much interpret any song to mean anything you want it to mean. its pointless to try to figure out what the original writer if referring to. just enjoy the ear candy.

Technically everything in life is pointless. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy stuff though. You can listen to ear candy, or you can listen and analyse.

N0S3BLEED976

fandingo review:

https://youtu.be/bfsooZS6v50

very amusing, to be honest ;)

Shadow46/2

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 14, 2016, 04:44 PM

My take:

Just remind yourself

Technically everything in life is pointless. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy stuff though. You can listen to ear candy, or you can listen and analyse.

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Apr 14, 2016, 06:24 PM
fandingo review:

To' up from the flo' up

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

Capt Snow

fandingo review:

This guy gave KNY a 6 and this a 4, lol!

elchino

Quote from: ANattyRat on Apr 14, 2016, 04:44 PM

My take:

Just remind yourself

I have no idea how you got that out of my comment but....okay. 

epistaxis

Quote from: mono on Apr 12, 2016, 02:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aztiwn17vpE

P/T Video...reminds me of HITE

Meh...I think it's kinda unfocused and unifinished.
They should've left out the chino-running-in-the-streets part and focused more on the editing.

gwenudo

Quote from: epistaxis on Apr 14, 2016, 07:09 PM
Quote from: mono on Apr 12, 2016, 02:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aztiwn17vpE

P/T Video...reminds me of HITE

Meh...I think it's kinda unfocused and unifinished.
They should've left out the chino-running-in-the-streets part and focused more on the editing.
That part is so cheesy

jaypayton

chino said in the guardian interview he likes the song "gore" the least...figures he hates the best song on the album...guess they wont be playing that one live

gwenudo

Quote from: jaypayton on Apr 14, 2016, 07:27 PM
chino said in the guardian interview he likes the song "gore" the least...figures he hates the best song on the album...guess they wont be playing that one live
Why wouldnt they? He hated 7 words, yet they played that on basically every show ever .. Besides now, theyve only played it once i think

Also i think thats his least favorite because not only is it heavy, but its also not that creative.. Its an extremely basic song that gets you going.. Its my favorite from the album, but i will admit theres nothing relatively complex about that song besides the drums, but we know how big of a beast Abe is lol

Inkblades

fandingo review:

LOL @ him talking with his eyes closed at the end of the review. That was some straight up Kyle's dad buys a Prius on South Park type stuff right there.

ANattyRat

They've been playing 7 Words almost every single show for I don't even know how many years. Dude said he was sick of playing it, and oh look, they're still playing it.

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 14, 2016, 07:28 PM
Why wouldnt they? He hated 7 words, yet they played that on basically every show ever .. Besides now, theyve only played it once i think

Also i think thats his least favorite because not only is it heavy, but its also not that creative.. Its an extremely basic song that gets you going.. Its my favorite from the album, but i will admit theres nothing relatively complex about that song besides the drums, but we know how big of a beast Abe is lol

In contrast, he said his favourite (and Stef's?) was Acid Hologram, which for me feels repetitive, but there is quite a bit more going on in it. I think that'd make an awesome live song, very atmospheric. Whereas Gore would make an awesome live song too, but for a different reason, just because it'd get everyone going.

illthrowROCKS@U

Meh... I think Chino has it right.  Acid is the best song on Gore and the title track is the worst.  As usual, he's spot on.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

sing blue silver

fandingo review:

Yikes. Didn't expect him to love it but he fucking haaaated it.