Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Ohms: pre-release hype thread

Started by LG95, Feb 24, 2018, 01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaz

This board should be sign ups only to stop the lurkers

Sicario

"Been lurking since y'all were in diapers. Can I get one of them leaks? I'll totally buy the album later". I can see it now  8)
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

Gaz

Quote from: Sicario on Aug 13, 2020, 06:55 PM
"Been lurking since y'all were in diapers. Can I get one of dem leaks? I'll totally buy the album later". I can see it now  8)

Yup, this 100%

DEF_RICHIE

I've been so patient for this album (we all have), I think this will be a huge step up from GORE which is at the bottom of my list of Deftones discography. I remember being so hyped for that album, and when it came out and after hundreds of listens I was really disappointed...I wanted to love it but just couldn't. Mixing was trash, Steph wasn't really present, the lyrics were great, but music writing just wasn't cutting it for me. Not once in the whole album did I get chills or feel like  "fuck that riff/scream/melody/snare (not present) was sick I gotta rewind that just to hear it again"

Not trying to count my chickens before they hatch but just from listening to those low quality snippets of the new songs, I have a good feeling this album is gonna be special...plus we have Terry back! Ok rant is over.

Sicario

Quote from: DEF_RICHIE on Aug 13, 2020, 06:56 PM
I've been so patient for this album (we all have), I think this will be a huge step up from GORE which is at the bottom of my list of Deftones discography. I remember being so hyped for that album, and when it came out and after hundreds of listens I was really disappointed...I wanted to love it but just couldn't. Mixing was trash, Steph wasn't really present, the lyrics were great, but music writing just wasn't cutting it for me. Not once in the whole album did I get chills or feel like  "fuck that riff/scream/melody/snare (not present) was sick I gotta rewind that just to hear it again"

Not trying to count my chickens before they hatch but just from listening to those low quality snippets of the new songs, I have a good feeling this album is gonna be special...plus we have Terry back! Ok rant is over.

Gore definitely wasn't what it should've been. But it did give us Acid Hologram. And for me that's the prime example of what post 00's Deftones are about. Sonically cool. Moody. Lush. Great track. Gore isn't terrible in its own right. It's just not a great Deftones record to me.
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

Gaz

I'd love it if these leaked snippets were not even on the album just to create more mystery!

Double Album split over a 6 month period
Eros EP
Black Stallion Album

WISHFUL THINKING!

nicklav

Quote from: Sicario on Aug 13, 2020, 07:04 PM
Quote from: DEF_RICHIE on Aug 13, 2020, 06:56 PM

Gore definitely wasn't what it should've been. But it did give us Acid Hologram. And for me that's the prime example of what post 00's Deftones are about. Sonically cool. Moody. Lush. Great track. Gore isn't terrible in its own right. It's just not a great Deftones record to me.

Completely agree. Acid Hologram is the best song they've done post DE for me. Has that perfect Deftones feel.

Inkblades

Quote from: Sicario on Aug 13, 2020, 05:57 PM
For all of ye elder statesmen. Is this the most hype you've seen for a record? I know Gore was hyped up prior to release. But prior to that what was the board like when an album release was imminent?

I've been posting here since SNW and this has probably been the craziest buildup. The difference between this and other releases is they've been quieter than ever before, which has been putting the hype into overdrive. There's a real sense of mystery around it with the nocturnal goings on and whatnot. Also, the return of Terry really adds to it. He really represents the "classic Deftones sound" to a lot of the fans.

Roidragee

I'm excited about this one because Terry is back, and they always come back strong after a long hiatus. Ive never strongly disliked a Deftones record either so I got high hopes for this new album

Gaz

Terry being back turned it into overdrive for me, ever since the rumors started with him being back and then confirmation

I just hope this lives up the hype.....it has to

Inkblades

Strangely, COVID is probably also fueling the hype. It took away touring from them, but it's added more free time for the fans to obsess over the album.

Gaz

Quote from: Inkblades on Aug 13, 2020, 07:28 PM
Strangely, COVID is probably also fueling the hype. It took away touring from them, but it's added more free time for the fans to obsess over the album.

Yeah true, no tour to play any new songs on

kurtone

I'm looking at this being Deftones 3.0.  The 2.0 line-up working with the 1.0 producer. Basically it's another "comeback"record. I think the band and label both know it too. Otherwise there wouldn't be as much secrecy.

Inkblades

Quote from: kurtone on Aug 13, 2020, 07:34 PM
I'm looking at this being Deftones 3.0.  The 2.0 line-up working with the 1.0 producer. Basically it's another "comeback"record. I think the band and label both know it too. Otherwise there wouldn't be as much secrecy.

That's a good point. It is a comeback in a way. Even though Gore sold well and received very solid reviews in the press, the fan reaction was and still is pretty divergent (for the record, I still really like the album - some of the best songs of the Vega era IMO). There was also that Stef interview about how he didn't like Hearts/Wires, which gave everyone a certain impression that Chino was calling all the shots in the band. They probably want this album to be seen as the band working more as a unit and who can bring that out of them more than the producer of their most beloved album?

976-EVIL

I remember stating here before Gore I really believed the band had at least "one more record" with Terry Date. So yeah that is definitely fueling my anticipation. I remember being so amped for WP. Probably more than I am for this album but it's close!

Also, Gore was a good album, some great tracks, not  their best but better than most other records out there at the time. Kinda surprised by all the negativity about it.
One last Thing...You Should Beware the Content!!

Thank God that you........ love..... at all.

Sleeping_Giant

Personally I did not feel such a hype before Gore, at least not until that Prayers/Triangles teaser. You need to admit, that those 30 seconds with flamingos were amazing. Unfortunately song turned out to be 6/10 for me.

By the way I might die without any info tomorrow. I would feel relieved even if they'll announce it coming in 2022...

nicklav

Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on Aug 13, 2020, 09:15 PM
Personally I did not feel such a hype before Gore, at least not until that Prayers/Triangles teaser. You need to admit, that those 30 seconds with flamingos were amazing. Unfortunately song turned out to be 6/10 for me.

By the way I might die without any info tomorrow. I would feel relieved even if they'll announce it coming in 2022...

That's EXACTLY how I felt about the teaser and subsequent full song. I was hoping for a little more crooning or like a dreamier vocal performance on the chorus. Totally changed how I viewed it. I love the instrumentals though.

Vesanic

As a mod/member since pre-DE era, I don't remember seeing anything like it. The fact we tightened the rules played a role to an extent. You guys are rabid but it's not just you. I see it everywhere online.

Which makes me want to say again: don't even ask for a PM to any past or future leaks. It's not happening this time.

kurtone

Quote from: Vesanic on Aug 13, 2020, 10:19 PM
As a mod/member since pre-DE era, I don't remember seeing anything like it. The fact we tightened the rules played a role to an extent. You guys are rabid but it's not just you. I see it everywhere online.

Which makes me want to say again: don't even ask for a PM to any past or future leaks. It's not happening this time.

What was the word on making this place private? It's gonna be a shit show here once we get any morsel of official news.

Vesanic

drop-dead would rather wait and see, cause some of those one-post accounts could potentially stick around.