Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Ohms: pre-release hype thread

Started by LG95, Feb 24, 2018, 01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicklav

ChubbyChino

For me, this hype is because we are hoping Deftones to actually come back. Gore wasn't really Deftones.

Inkblades

Quote from: ChubbyChino on Aug 13, 2020, 11:41 PM
For me, this hype is because we are hoping Deftones to actually come back. Gore wasn't really Deftones.

False. It's fine if you didn't like the album, but to say it wasn't them is kinda ridiculous.

Sleeping_Giant

Rubicon disagrees with that statement.

nicklav

Yossarian

Quote from: kurtone on Aug 13, 2020, 07:34 PM
I'm looking at this being Deftones 3.0.  The 2.0 line-up working with the 1.0 producer. Basically it's another "comeback"record. I think the band and label both know it too. Otherwise there wouldn't be as much secrecy.

niiice 8) hype intensified

Its great if its this, not just a half-assed marketing from label. Seems for me that mixlr sneak peaks and revealing title in IG interview was caused by band members pissed that label is doing literally nothing so far to promote this.
"Something in our music that has a little provocative kind of vibe to it. And I feel like that exists in our music for some reason. I don't know where it comes from."

Yossarian

Quote from: Sleeping_Giant on Aug 13, 2020, 11:45 PM

Rubicon disagrees with that statement.

Rubicon is otherworldly good. Whole album is a banger. You all miss a lot not feeling its vibe.
"Something in our music that has a little provocative kind of vibe to it. And I feel like that exists in our music for some reason. I don't know where it comes from."

N0S3BLEED976

Gore has the coolest artwork. And also the best songwriting ideas of any Deftones album with Vega. I could listen to only SNW and Gore for the rest of my life and would be satisfied

Dath

I don't see any reason to gatekeep the board, anyone who finds there way here and cares enough to register obviously has a passion for the band and I'd be happy to have them here. Besides, message boards have moderators to deal with anything too crazy.

On another note, I'm really excited to hear the ATF/WP snare on the new record after the way the drums were mixed on Gore (still love it though, especially agree with you guys on Acid Hologram and Rubicon).

RaptureWS

I'm always a little too hype and obsessive before new albums. This one has been extra difficult just because of the awful last couple years we all have had and the fact that this is the longest drought with no new music in their entire career. And even between long waits we had stuff like Crosses and Team Sleep to hold us over. Not this time.

I personally loved Gore. Rubicon is my 2nd favorite song all time by any band (2nd to MX). Geometric has fascinating arrangement and execution. It's different, it's intense and it's beautiful. No one really cares about my thoughts on Gore though lol. If you do search my post history.

My point is this-the band I am sure is aware a lot of fans weren't ecstatic about Gore. They are in their late 40s/early 50s. They've always been very grounded, humble and realistic about their success and their future. They are grateful for making it this far. I'm sure they have considered what their future might look like. Chino won't be running around screaming for 20 more years. I have a hunch the band had all that in mind when writing this record. Deftones fueled by a motivation to give the fans an album they would love, while still exploring and expanding their sound as they always do. That's my gut feeling.

I don't know the band. I don't *know* their motivations. I could be speaking out of my ass. I just have a feeling their mindset is "this one is for all the hardcore fans". It's going to be so fucking great, whatever the case.
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

N0S3BLEED976

What are your cover art predictions? Without referencing the album title, of course. I hope it's something colorful, not just 'complete black'

Formant

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Aug 14, 2020, 12:14 AM
What are your cover art predictions? Without referencing the album title, of course. I hope it's something colorful, not just 'complete black'

That quote from Chino you're referencing makes me think of darker colors. I'd love some weird, esoteric visuals as well (that's just me). I'm down as long as it matches the mood of the album (which Deftones/Frank Maddocks excel at).

Roidragee

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Aug 14, 2020, 12:14 AM
I think it might be another girl album cover since they have't done that in a while

Yossarian

On Franck Maddocks IG there is recent photo of a girl with trippy color palette. Looks very Deftonish if you'd ask me and Frank 'liked' it too, but this one would be almost too obvious.

sharinglungs

I don't think Maddocks would post anything related to something unreleased on IG.

I think the album cover will be... space themed...

Pink_Sands

I feel as if the album cover will play off the color palette of their summer headliner poster - dark green and black with maybe one other accent color.

Matthewtheloser

Quote from: Pink_Sands on Aug 14, 2020, 12:51 AM
I feel as if the album cover will play off the color palette of their summer headliner poster - dark green and black with maybe one other accent color.
Good point, going back to the "Garden" in the source code for the website, maybe it could be some sort of dark green, leafy sort of thing contrasted against black. I could imagine something similar to this Holy Fawn album cover, only with a different shade of green:

(which is a great album by the way, I think a lot of people here would really dig it)

Vesanic

This thread was created in 2018 and has been viewed over 100000 times. I don't remember the stats for previous album threads (from DE on), I'm convinced this is next level though.

I'm really getting excited this time.

LG95

Quote from: Matthewtheloser on Aug 14, 2020, 01:23 AM
Good point, going back to the "Garden" in the source code for the website, maybe it could be some sort of dark green, leafy sort of thing contrasted against black. I could imagine something similar to this Holy Fawn album cover, only with a different shade of green:

(which is a great album by the way, I think a lot of people here would really dig it)
One of my favourite albums of recent years.
I could float here forever

ChubbyChino

Quote from: Matthewtheloser on Aug 14, 2020, 01:23 AM

The 'garden' word all over the code is simply a Drupal theme/module they're using. It has absolutely nothing to do with the album.